Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I posted a thread about my 04 V6 Accord Coupe shaking when I was at a stop. I found out that it was the motor mounts an replaced them with DEA mounts from amazon, the left one was replaced first, and then the other 2 were replaced about 2 weeks later. All vibrations had stopped.

Less then 10k miles later, about a week ago it came back, but I checked the mounts and they seem to be fine. Could it now be my transmission mounts?

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
I had the same thing occur in my sister's Dodge Neon when she totaled it and I rebuilt it (the engine wasn't part of the collision, but while rebuilding it I inspected her mounts and they were torn and needing replacement so I figured why not do it now). Changing motor mounts can be VERY precise and picky or else you get vibrations. If the engine shifts forward or backward even by a hair, it can dramatically alter the amount of vibrations you either feel in the engine bay, or through the steering wheel. I literally had to re-do her mounts 20x trying to get the engine to sit exactly where it was originally (I'm talking in 16ths of an inch!)

But, it is also very common that by the time your engine mount(s) start to wear & tear, your transmission mount(s) are in the same condition and need replacing. So definitely something to consider.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
You should replace them with OEM mounts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, how would you even know EXACTLY where it sat to begin with? I have a feeling it may be the trans mounts now, any diagrams on where they are or how to get to them? Thanks.

OEM mounts are WAY to expensive in comparison.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Wow, how would you even know EXACTLY where it sat to begin with? I have a feeling it may be the trans mounts now, any diagrams on where they are or how to get to them? Thanks.
For the Dodge I was able to locate the official How-To Install Motor Mounts that gave me the specific measurements of a Point A to Point B on the engine to the top motor mount located on the upper passenger side. I have not had to change any on a Honda.

OEM mounts are WAY to expensive in comparison.
This sort of follows the old saying "You get what you pay for." If you go with a cheaper alternative, sometimes there are cons to saving a buck...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This sort of follows the old saying "You get what you pay for." If you go with a cheaper alternative, sometimes there are cons to saving a buck...
Unfortunately the difference is astronomical in my books, so I'll take the cons. If it's the motor mounts again, I'll get these teplaced, if they fail a 3rd time (2nd on aftermarket) then I'll go with OEM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
I'm not saying that you're wrong for going that route - a lot of people enjoy trying a cheaper, pocket-friendly alternative first because hey, if they are just as good then it's a win/win! :) But personally, I think if I tried an a/m brand and it didn't measure up to OEM quality... instead of wasting money on trying another a/m brand, I'd probably just dish out the money for OEM. Otherwise, by the time you try all of these a/m brands out, which all end up being failures, and you go with OEM in the long run...aren't you just wasting money? or will the stores allow you to return them? (if you can return them, then no loss on your part and I say go for the a/m as long as you don't mind repeatedly doing the labor) :thmsup:

·
07 I4 MT coupe
198 Posts
You could always try and find low mileage OEM motor mounts from a junkyard accord that was in a rear end accident. Though I suppose you roll the dice on those working out also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts