Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got new tires, but it started happening a couple days before that. I'm hoping I just need a tune up, because I bought it with 85k miles and at 103k it started shaking. I've only done oil/filter changes to date.

I have spark plugs ready to go in. What else do I need? Pcv valves? What else? Also, it's not the ac, because I drove it with no ac, for an hour home and it still happens. Shaking is from the point I turn the car on, to the point I turn it off with intervals of no shaking. It's not violent, it just feels like what I can describe as a "old car shake." I have an exhaust an intake, and the exhaust isn't loose, although I was told that I need motor mounts (from the tire shop that did my tires) but a second opinion said I don't. I don't think I do either, it just has normal engine movement under load.

So, any ideas what it could be? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Show us some pictures of the motor mounts if you can.

This happens at a complete stop? You mentioned new tires first so I thought maybe they were weighted wrong but that must not be the case.

Do you hear any odd sounds coming from the engine bay on startup or shutdown?

Are there any points during driving you can notice it getting worse? Or lightening up?

Also, what kind of car? V6 or i4? Manual or Automatic? What year?

Details help here.

Sent from my HTC One.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Show us some pictures of the motor mounts if you can.

This happens at a complete stop? You mentioned new tires first so I thought maybe they were weighted wrong but that must not be the case.

Do you hear any odd sounds coming from the engine bay on startup or shutdown?

Are there any points during driving you can notice it getting worse? Or lightening up?

Also, what kind of car? V6 or i4? Manual or Automatic? What year?

Details help here.

Sent from my HTC One.
How do I get pictures? Do I have to remove them?

Trap, complete stops. Last night I did, but I was too tired to check.... I also have like some rash on the under side of the hood, where the belt is. (Looks like the belt rubs, or used to).

Like I said, when I start driving it feels perfectly fine. But when I'm completely stopped its shaking.

V6 automatic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you be able to hear misfire?

Would you feel a loss in performance? I feel no loss, at least not one that I can notice.

At very low speeds (pulling into my works parking structure/home) I hear stuff at like 10 mph. I can't describe the noise though....

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Does it idle smoothly in neutral? If not, check the plugs. Maybe fouled or loose. Check or for a vacuum leak. Throwing any codes? Water ingestion in your intake?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it idle smoothly in neutral? If not, check the plugs. Maybe fouled or loose. Check or for a vacuum leak. Throwing any codes? Water ingestion in your intake?
Yeah it idles smoothly, I bought new plugs anyways but have yet found time to install. A CEL came on but it was only for one ride and then it went away. It was a p0506, so it could be that. Definitely not water, hasn't rained in a long time, plus I have a water shield over the filter, just encase. Hopefully tomorrow being a holiday, (paid off day for me yay) I can open this baby up, replace the plugs and see if that helps. If not then go from there.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What you idle at?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Same thing was happening to mine. While in Drive and stopped it shakes, if you turn the AC off it gets slightly better, shift it into Neutral it gets smooth. Correct? I changed my three engine mounts and my three transmission mounts and problem solved.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,724 Posts
Did you get someone to put the car in gear, hold the brake pedal, and slightly push the accelerator down, to check for movement of the engine? I think you have broken mounts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What you idle at?
Right under the white line for 1k so probably like 8-900. It's always consistent, never ever idles anywhere else.

Is this a V6?

I used to have mild shaking while at a stop. Removed intake, cleaned insides of the throttle body with carb cleaner and 95% of the shaking went away.
Yes it is. Hmmm, I might try this.

Same thing was happening to mine. While in Drive and stopped it shakes, if you turn the AC off it gets slightly better, shift it into Neutral it gets smooth. Correct? I changed my three engine mounts and my three transmission mounts and problem solved.
Yeah almost exactly, except last night when I put it in neutral it made a different weird noise! You can never win. In park it's perfect! How much did all the mounts cost you? Link me?

Did you get someone to put the car in gear, hold the brake pedal, and slightly push the accelerator down, to check for movement of the engine? I think you have broken mounts.
I'll have that done today. I'll record how much it moves as well so I can post it and have someone else determine of their broken or not....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.