Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 accord last month and I've been noticing that the car jerks/does a hard brake when shifting down to 40km. I looked around and others are saying it could be a transmission issue or its just the VCM acting up due to the eco turning on/off, but I'm not sure which one it is. Does anyone on here have similar issues and resolved it? I heard getting a VCM tuner is the way to go just to have the economy disabled, and also helps with oil consumption (never had an issue with that yet.) Would appreciate some help from you guys

·
VCM DELETE
708 Posts
Check your Motor mounts (especially the front one) This can be a sign of broken motor or transmission mounts, VCM can put alot of stress on these parts.
Also, does it clunk into gear when shifting from Park to Drive? Or Park to Reverse?
Other issue could be the pressure switches in the transmission.

Reactions: DerekWildstar

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your Motor mounts (especially the front one) This can be a sign of broken motor or transmission mounts, VCM can put alot of stress on these parts.
Also, does it clunk into gear when shifting from Park to Drive? Or Park to Reverse?
Other issue could be the pressure switches in the transmission.
No clunking into gear issues

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
You are welcome.

Reactions: 2Accordz

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Crazy, isn't it Rick?? lol..

·
8th Gen Believer
4,095 Posts
If this is happening during downshifting then it's not VCM.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was just about to post my own thread about a similar issue with my car (which has the V6 and the 5AT), so I'll just tag along with this one. As I'm slowing down (let's say around 35mph) and I'm coasting, I'll feel a jerk as the car downshifts. It is intermittent. Saturday we took a 250-mile round trip drive with not a single issue. Today, just driving around town, the issue happened twice (I first noticed it maybe a week or two ago).

No issues at all during upshifting - I can run from 1st to 5th with no flaring, slipping, or other concerns. However, when I'm coasting (in the 30-40 mph range) I'll feel a jerky downshift (it almost feels like it is hesitating for a moment before engaging sharply). So odd.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just about to post my own thread about a similar issue with my car (which has the V6 and the 5AT), so I'll just tag along with this one. As I'm slowing down (let's say around 35mph) and I'm coasting, I'll feel a jerk as the car downshifts. It is intermittent. Saturday we took a 250-mile round trip drive with not a single issue. Today, just driving around town, the issue happened twice (I first noticed it maybe a week or two ago).

No issues at all during upshifting - I can run from 1st to 5th with no flaring, slipping, or other concerns. However, when I'm coasting (in the 30-40 mph range) I'll feel a jerky downshift (it almost feels like it is hesitating for a moment before engaging sharply). So odd.
Same here only happens when I'm braking to 40km. Not entirely sure what it is but it does this half the time I'm braking from over 40km

If this is happening during downshifting then it's not VCM.
What do you think it could be?

·
Turbocharged
938 Posts
My car does a jerk when I'm coming to a stop as it shifts from 3rd to 1st. I also have a lengthy delay shifting into D or R. The service manual indicates a bad/sticking shift solenoid E in my case. I have the part, just need to not be lazy and actually change it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car does a jerk when I'm coming to a stop as it shifts from 3rd to 1st. I also have a lengthy delay shifting into D or R. The service manual indicates a bad/sticking shift solenoid E in my case. I have the part, just need to not be lazy and actually change it.
Yours manual? Mines auto and can't tell if its skips gears or not. Went to my mechanic and wasn't really an issue to them

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks, Hudouc. I’ll bet the $3.50 in my wallet that it’s a solenoid or pressure switch. I’ll report back once I get it checked.

·
Turbocharged
938 Posts
Yours manual? Mines auto and can't tell if its skips gears or not. Went to my mechanic and wasn't really an issue to them
No, it the 5-speed auto. Since my car is turbocharged, I have a tablet mounted to where the radio display is so I can keep an eye on the car. One of the things being displayed is the which gear the car is in. It is part of the normal operations of the car, when you are slowing down, in most cases, the car doesn't down shift one gear at a time.

The jerk (in my case at least) is caused by the transmission delay. The car thinks the transmission is in one gear while it doesn't actually get there until a "split" second later, thus causing the jerk.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,095 Posts
Same here only happens when I'm braking to 40km. Not entirely sure what it is but it does this half the time I'm braking from over 40km

What do you think it could be?
It could be trans fluid that has poor cold flow properties. Since you bought it recently it also might need a fluid change. Low or gunked up fluid can cause some really unusual behavior. When I bought my 8th gen, it had a shudder in second gear under normal acceleration (weird right) at only 48k miles. Fluid change was all it needed. It should be changed around every 30k miles as part of routine maintenace. Do this first, it's cheap and easy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It could be trans fluid that has poor cold flow properties. Since you bought it recently it also might need a fluid change. Low or gunked up fluid can cause some really unusual behavior. When I bought my 8th gen, it had a shudder in second gear under normal acceleration (weird right) at only 48k miles. Fluid change was all it needed. It should be changed around every 30k miles as part of routine maintenace. Do this first, it's cheap and easy.
Just did a drain and fill yesterday but the issue was still there afterwards. Must be something else, trying a vcmtuner see if that does anything

·
Turbocharged
938 Posts
Thanks, Hudouc. I’ll bet the $3.50 in my wallet that it’s a solenoid or pressure switch. I’ll report back once I get it checked.
I fixed mine today. Turns out, I was right. It was a bad solenoid E. No more shock when shifting into R or D. There's still a slight delay when shifting into R or D, but more like a 1/2 sec delay. No more jerking when shifting into 1st when coming to a stop. It was a pretty easy job, took about 1 1/2 hr.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My mechanic says the cars fine. He test drives it and said its not really an issue. If there were any issues than the engine would turn on. Still this braking issue/jerk is annoying

Any updates?

·
Turbocharged
938 Posts
You need a new mechanic lol. Not every issue triggers a check engine light. When a light comes on in a car, usually it means a serious issue and extensive damage may have occurred or will occur. Yes, the transmission jerk may not be an issue to be seriously concerned about, but you don't know what damages it could cause down the road.

Reactions: slimm1469

·
Registered
614 Posts
Any updates?
Like you, the mechanic could not determine the source of the jerk between gears. There were no codes stores in the computer, and he could not reproduce the hesitation, despite two lengthy test drives. His theory is that a solenoid or pressure switch is slowly failing, but rather than just replaces parts blindly, he suggested to drive it until the problem becomes more consistent. He also added that unless it has been abused or neglected, he has personally never seen an 8th gen automatic go bad (although he has seen pressure switches wear out).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Like you, the mechanic could not determine the source of the jerk between gears. There were no codes stores in the computer, and he could not reproduce the hesitation, despite two lengthy test drives. His theory is that a solenoid or pressure switch is slowly failing, but rather than just replaces parts blindly, he suggested to drive it until the problem becomes more consistent. He also added that unless it has been abused or neglected, he has personally never seen an 8th gen automatic go bad (although he has seen pressure switches wear out).
Damn this is a tough symptom to resolve. Hopefully there's more ways to find out whats wrong

1 - 20 of 33 Posts