Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
03' Accord Coupe EX
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is something that has just started happening now that it's warmed up from this whole polar vortex thing. Two nights ago I was driving and turned on my high beams, and the entire dashboard became dim and flickered. I immediately turned off my high beams and everything went back to normal. The weird part was the check engine light turned off after being on for some time.

Skip ahead to yesterday, I go to start my car and it turns off. I turn the key and the dashboard is super dim. I wait 10 seconds, and the car starts like nothing has happened. The only problem is I have to re-enter the time and radio code.

Now, just an hour ago the same thing happened. I started my car fine, drove around, and parked it. When I went to start my car again, I turned the key in the ignition and all the lights went out. I turned the key again, and everything was dim (again). I waited again, and then the car finally turned on like nothing happened. Again.

I don't know what the problem is, could it be a loose terminal connection? The check engine light isn't on, but I don't know if that's because the car keeps 'restarting' (time resets, and radio code needs to be re-entered). Has this happened to anyone on here, or does anyone have any advice?

EDIT: Another little piece of info: The speedometer would move up and down ever so slightly at zero right after this happened. Same with the gas gauge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
loose terminal connection (at the battery). when i was installing my tach i forogt to tighten down the negative cable, and the car turned on electrically until i tried to start the engine. then it flickered and shut off completley. (i thought i had blown a fuse or something). Checked under the hood and it was just loose connection.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,100 Posts
Yeah or a dying battery. Classic symptoms of loose connection or dying battery.

OP, get to an Autozone/PepBoys/Advance Auto etc and get their free battery/alternator check. Takes five minutes/

Do you have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine? You may want to upgrade battery sizes for your next battery.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,853 Posts
Load test the battery as mentioned above, the store likely has to charge up your battery first.

Alternator rarely fails, typically dying battery and loose terminals are primary causes for what you are describing.

Wiggle the battery cables at the terminals by hand, if you can rotate them around then it's way too loose.
 

·
03' Accord Coupe EX
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah or a dying battery. Classic symptoms of loose connection or dying battery.

OP, get to an Autozone/PepBoys/Advance Auto etc and get their free battery/alternator check. Takes five minutes/

Do you have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine? You may want to upgrade battery sizes for your next battery.
I have a 6 cylinder engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
I have a 6 cylinder engine.
If you are getting a replacement battery, look for one made by Johnson Controls. Walmart's Everstart Maxx are often made by JC, as are Costco's Kirkland batteries.

"Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
47 Posts
If you are getting a replacement battery, look for one made by Johnson Controls. Walmart's Everstart Maxx are often made by JC, as are Costco's Kirkland batteries.
Autocraft GOLD. This battery is so powerful, it cured my one DRL is dimmer then the other, syndrome :yes: Auto GOLD is what I call it and can only be had at "ADVANCE.AUTO.PARTS!! tahnahnah" and to confirm, it is indeed, AUTOMOTIVE GOLD, my friends! (I was a sucker for Interstate but this one make it look like some Everready refurbs)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,100 Posts
I gotta do a battery thread update....

80% are made by Johnson Controls. The other 20% by Exide and East Penn. All have ratings all over the map. None is "better".

15 years ago, a battery could last 5-8 years (some went ten). Nowadays, sellers such as Walmart, Advanced Auto, Autozone, Sears, etc. specify the price point they want to the manufacturers (Exide, JControls, East Penn) and hit that.

In other words, brand names don't mean jack. Really.

More important is a 2-3 year free full replacement warranty- with the ability to be ready when you are/near you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Battery life done, I think.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top