Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my car sounded weak during start-up, it took an extra couple seconds more than usual. At night it took me at least 5 minutes to get it running, it wouldn't start at all on the first 10-15 tries but it did eventually. Anyone have an idea what could be causing it?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had the battery along with the starter replaced a year ago so that's out of the question.
No, your battery could be bad. Just because its a year old means nothing....how long was it sitting on a shelf before you bought it? Also it might have defective plate inside causing a lower volatge. So don't rule out a bad battery until you test it.

·
Super Moderator
4,656 Posts
^^ what he said.

·
Super Moderator
4,656 Posts
If you have a dead cell, all the charging in the world won't help it.
That, and this is what the alternator does when the car is turned on anyways.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
bad fuel pressure regulator leaking gas out of fuel rail causing no fuel condition on start-up. After you start car, drive it a while and shut it off, does it start immediately if you restart engine?

Does this only happen after car sits for a few hours, like overnite or after work lets out? Is that what you meant by car won't start when cold? Cold weather or cold engine?

Miker

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
A 6th gen that does not want to start when it is cold sounds like a bad coolant temp sensor, not registering the correct temperature for the ECU to add more fuel. Also, low fuel pressure could be the cause as well, listen for the fuel pump to charge the fuel rail before you start the car. You need to check the Distributer, wires, and plugs as well.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
Well what happened???

I need closure on this !!!

What did you find out??

Let the rest of us know if and what the fix was please.:yes:

Miker

·
2007 Accord EX-L 4D 5MT
189 Posts
The standard "Economy" and "Silver" batteries sold by parts stores these days are CRAP and will only last one year. You might be able to get two out of the "Gold" ones. I worked at 2 different Advance Autos and we replaced them all the time bad after 1 year.

Where did you have it tested? The same place that sold it? They don't want to warranty it, and also it may be technically "good" while being weak. Take it to somewhere other than where you bought it for testing.

Also, what temp range are we talking? Even a brand new battery will be a little weak below 30 degrees. It is basic science.

·
2007 Accord EX-L 4D 5MT
189 Posts
You need a battery with more cold cranking amps
^^^ good point also. I removed lots of undersized batteries while working at Advance. Especially Walmart batteries since people get their own off the shelf and will grab one slightly smaller than required to save $10-20. Also, read the label for CCA. The "Economy" and "Silver" versions of the same size battery will have less CCA than the premium version, because there is less lead inside. That is why they are cheaper!

From my experience replacing probably 200 batteries....

Crap, lucky to make it to the 2-3 yr warranty: Advance (Autocraft), Autozone (Duralast), Walmart (Everstart).

Better, usually pulled well after warranty: Delco, NAPA, Interstate.

The irony is that the Delco, Napa, and Interstate batteries are mostly the same price as the crap ones.

Your Honda came with a Delco from the factory, there is a reason for that. Honda knows Delco batteries will last longer than the 3yr/36k mile factory warranty. :thmsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issues with mine! I have a '04 Accord, I4cyl with approx 83k miles. For the past 2 months I've been having problems with the car turning over when it's been sitting over night. It usually won't start until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I can hear the click of the pump when I turn the key to position II and my immobilizer light does not blink, so I know that's not the problem. I've had alternator and started both tested and installed brand new battery. I am being told it's my fuel pump (by a master Nissan tech)
Could it be something else? Can I just replace the fuel pump regulator instead? It seems everyone I ask is stumped on this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated before I spend $300 on a pump that I may not need.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What is the recommended battery for this car? I think I may need to buy a new one just to be on the safe side. And can we test the battery ourselves with a multimeter??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts