Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Amateur home mechanic 馃槀
2009 Accord EX-L
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 2009 V6 accord automatic, and I've recent ally replaced rear rotors, bearings, and brakes. I've also discovered 3/6 spark plugs fouled and smelling a little bit like oil and gas mixed together. I replaced all plugs at the same time as a possible fix. Tires have been balanced and aligned with no change. My rear tires are now on the front with no change. Car drives straight but wobbles a concerning amount (doesn't effect steering).

The official story is that my car on and off shakes/wobbles in the floor and seats starting around 68mph. It comes and goes and have had multiple techs take a look and no one can figure it out. Suspension is checked by multiple people and they all say it looks good and has no play.

Next up is replacing all 4 tires but don't have the money at the moment.

(not even going to mention the quart of oil I burn every 1000 miles, a common problem with these "Honda" accords)

Registered
Do you feel the vibration/wobble when you let off the gas? Could possibly be the axles. And could also try doing a roadforce balance.

Amateur home mechanic 馃槀
2009 Accord EX-L
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about axels but it's on and off and it happens at random, no particular cue. Where can I get a road force balance in PA? I just got new front tires to try and fix the problem and no change.

Turbo lag
how are your low control arm bushings?

Turbo lag
How are your tie rods? Are they free of any play?

Registered
The RoadForce website will let you find a shop near you that has their wheel balancer. Based solely on what you鈥檙e saying, I鈥檇 vote for a bad axle, but of course, it鈥檚 a completely wild guess. Purely as another seat-of-the-pants guess, what is the status of your motor mounts? And a third one... when was the last time your transmission fluid was changed?

Which plugs were fouled? Is your car throwing a check engine light? Sounds like the P0303/P0304 piston ring issue, but I think you鈥檙e past the extended warranty. Changing the plugs should buy you some time.

Amateur home mechanic 馃槀
2009 Accord EX-L
Discussion Starter #8
The RoadForce website will let you find a shop near you that has their wheel balancer. Based solely on what you鈥檙e saying, I鈥檇 vote for a bad axel... but of course, it鈥檚 a completely wild guess.

Which plugs were fouled? Is your car throwing a check engine light? Sounds like the P0303/P0304 piston ring issue, but I think you鈥檙e past the extended warranty. Changing the plugs should buy you some time.
I called Honda they agreed with being out of the (literal) lawsuit warranty. So I'm stuck with the piston rings burning my oil. I'm running all IGK laser iridium plugs and I heard the ceramics get a little yellow burning naturally but I'm not so certain of that. They were practically all different brands and models of plugs so I switched them all out for safety. I'm burning oil but my MPG is still great, could have gone 450 miles in a single tank if I didn't hit accident traffic for an hour.

How are your tie rods? Are they free of any play?
Tie rods are great, they confirmed that at my alignment a couple months ago.

Registered
I called Honda they agreed with being out of the (literal) lawsuit warranty. So I'm stuck with the piston rings burning my oil. I'm running all IGK laser iridium plugs and I heard the ceramics get a little yellow burning naturally but I'm not so certain of that. They were practically all different brands and models of plugs so I switched them all out for safety. I'm burning oil but my MPG is still great, could have gone 450 miles in a single tank if I didn't hit accident traffic for an hour.
Well, certain Formula 1 teams are rumored to intentionally mix oil with their fuel to provide a power boost... just tell people your car is race-inspired. ;)

(Sorry, too soon?)

Check my original post - I edited it to add some more ideas.

Amateur home mechanic 馃槀
2009 Accord EX-L
Discussion Starter #10
Well, certain Formula 1 teams are rumored to intentionally mix oil with their fuel to provide a power boost... just tell people your car is race-inspired. ;)

(Sorry, too soon?)

Check my original post - I edited it to add some more ideas.
Have to check on motor mounts, transmission oil might need a change but I'm wary about that since I don't have experience with that (yet) and from what I hear it could cause slipping.

Registered
Have to check on motor mounts, transmission oil might need a change but I'm wary about that since I don't have experience with that (yet) and from what I hear it could cause slipping.
Transmission flush will cause havoc in a Honda automatic, but a 3x drain-and-fill is always a solid idea (There are lots of discussions on DriveAccord on how to do the 3x change).

Amateur home mechanic 馃槀
2009 Accord EX-L
Discussion Starter #12
Transmission flush will cause havoc in a Honda automatic, but a 3x drain-and-fill is always a solid idea (There are lots of discussions on DriveAccord on how to do the 3x change).
Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out now!

Super Moderator
Does it always occur between 68 to 78mph then gone after you fall below 68 and go over 78? Does the steering shake during that speed range?

Amateur home mechanic 馃槀
2009 Accord EX-L
Discussion Starter #15
If your tires are reasonably new, you might be able to still see the red or yellow dot on them. Those dots actually mean something:

The shaking pre-dates the new front tires but it is not alleviated by the change.
Does it always occur between 68 to 78mph then gone after you fall below 68 and go over 78? Does the steering shake during that speed range?
I can feel it in the steering wheel in the way that it's the whole car wobbling, not so much that the steering mechanics are being moved. As I got about 80-85 (as a test with traffic ;;)) it wouldn't be as bad or happen as often.

Amateur home mechanic 馃槀
2009 Accord EX-L
Discussion Starter #17
Almost certain it's one of the axles/half-shafts
Even on and off and tapering off at 80? No symptoms when accelerating either and no shaking outside of that range. Not dismissing it, just want to avoid dumping another 2k into this issue for a car only worth 6.5k

Super Moderator
Axles for 8th gen Accords don't cost $2k, $500 for both shafts in parts if you do it yourself. Even cheaper if you buy known good used OEM axles.

My 7th gen with 320k miles is worth less than $2000 and I keep it going, because a new car costs 20k+. There is one guy in the 7th gen forum with over 700k miles and he keeps it going. If you deem it "not worth it" then get a new or used car and be done with this issue, you'll continue on more payments that costs more than parts unless you pay it all off in 1 shot.

Shaking at highway speed within a certain speed range, while not braking, is almost always axles, if you've done tire balancing and suspension alignment. If suspension bushings are severely torn, then you'd experience it almost all the time, but you stated the bushings are good.

Amateur home mechanic 馃槀
2009 Accord EX-L
Discussion Starter #19
Axles for 8th gen Accords don't cost $2k, $500 for both shafts in parts if you do it yourself. Even cheaper if you buy known good used OEM axles.

My 7th gen with 320k miles is worth less than $2000 and I keep it going, because a new car costs 20k+. There is one guy in the 7th gen forum with over 700k miles and he keeps it going. If you deem it "not worth it" then get a new or used car and be done with this issue, you'll continue on more payments that costs more than parts unless you pay it all off in 1 shot.

Shaking at highway speed within a certain speed range, while not braking, is almost always axles, if you've done tire balancing and suspension alignment. If suspension bushings are severely torn, then you'd experience it almost all the time, but you stated the bushings are good.
"I know what I need to do, but I don't know if I have the strength to do it."

I'll look into the axles asap then. It's been a problem for about 4 months but hasn't really gotten worse, just the same since it started out of thin air.

VCM DELETE
Motor mounts. Check these, if you didn't disable VCM then they are for sure toast, its a problem with these cars.

Reactions: Aeroliten
1 - 20 of 36 Posts