Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 08 accord coupe ex and i was getting a pioneer avic z2 installed, the installer came ot my house but after he isntalled it the car would turn on for a second then turn off, he changed everything back to stock and the same thing, it would turn on for a second then turn off. please help!

yes it starts for 2 seconds then dies, he installed the pac steering wheel control and backup cam but honda says those have nothing to do with the problem

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
You mean it actually starts then dies? I'm not an expert but that sounds like bad ground somewhere? It doesn't sound like fuse as blown fuse will probably prevent you from even starting the car.

Whatever you do, don't pay the installer!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it starts for 2 seconds then dies, he installed the pac steering wheel control and backup cam but honda says those have nothing to do with the problem

Please help!

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
There's no telling what he screwed with, but even if he was an amateur at this there's nothing he should have touched in regard to stereo equipment wiring that would have an effect on the car stalling after you start it.

I would advise you not to pay him. And then get his full home address and phone number.

Then call a tow truck and have it towed to your Honda dealer.

Have them check everything out.

And make your installer pay the bill.

·
Reverse Gear
779 Posts
Immobilizer maybe? I do not know how but he could have messed the wire up some how or something.

When it dies do the lights on the dash stay on? Or do they turn off?

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
Sounds like something is wrong with the immobilizer. I don't know how/why a stereo install would mess with the electrical systems involved with the car starting, however, you need to re-link the keys to the immobilizer (have them reprogrammed).

·
Reverse Gear
779 Posts
here is the guide he looked at for the steering wheel control: http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogra...mmSearch=Honda&Submit2=Search+Vehicles&ID=414

would that have anything to do witht eh car stalling issue?

Sounds like something is wrong with the immobilizer. I don't know how/why a stereo install would mess with the electrical systems involved with the car starting, however, you need to re-link the keys to the immobilizer (have them reprogrammed).

That is what i would do, but isn't there a light that blinks in a shape of the key if immobilizer does not recognize it?

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
how about steering wheel control? would that effect the car stalling?

Okay, to help you out here you need to be very specific:

When you start the car, for the time it runs does run smoothly? Do all of the malfunction indicators in your instrument panel go out? If not, which ones stay illuminated?

When the car stalls, which if any malfunction indicators come on the IP? Does the tach drop to 0 or does the needle freeze in position?

Does the accessory mode still operate (can you roll your windows down and up, turn on the HVAC fan, etc.)?

If the acc mode is still operating, try turning the radio on and off. Does it work?

If you turn the ignition off completely and just turn it to acc without starting the engine, will it stay in acc mode?

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
That is what i would do, but isn't there a light that blinks in a shape of the key if immobilizer does not recognize it?
If there was a problem with the immobilizer there would certainly be the flashing green key indicator at the top left of the IP.

Right now I'm ruling the immobilizer out because the car does start.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If there was a problem with the immobilizer there would certainly be the flashing green key indicator at the top left of the IP.

Right now I'm ruling the immobilizer out because the car does start.

AFAIK, the ECU will always allow a properly cut key to start the engine, but it will then immediately shut down the engine a few seconds later if the ECU is not happy with that key's RFID code or if the immobilizer is not working.

In other words, your symptom is quite likely caused by a problem with the immobilizer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Examine the wiring harnesses, at the ECU. Since your installer was working on a navigation unit, he had to tap into the vehicle's speed sensor. It is possible he did not know which wire was for the VSS, and in the process of locating it, damaged the ECU harness.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Examine the wiring harnesses, at the ECU. Since your installer was working on a navigation unit, he had to tap into the vehicle's speed sensor. It is possible he did not know which wire was for the VSS, and in the process of locating it, damaged the ECU harness.
This seems very plausible.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
There's no telling what he screwed with, but even if he was an amateur at this there's nothing he should have touched in regard to stereo equipment wiring that would have an effect on the car stalling after you start it.

I would advise you not to pay him. And then get his full home address and phone number.

Then call a tow truck and have it towed to your Honda dealer.

Have them check everything out.

And make your installer pay the bill.
+1 :thmsup:

·
Reverse Gear
779 Posts
afaik, the ecu will always allow a properly cut key to start the engine, but it will then immediately shut down the engine a few seconds later if the ecu is not happy with that key's rfid code or if the immobilizer is not working.

In other words, your symptom is quite likely caused by a problem with the immobilizer.
+1.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Listen I think it may be the immobilizer when you crank the car is the little green key light (immobilizer) blinking as your car is cranking if so your keys need to be reprogrammed to the ecu or he hacked in to your immobilzer installing w.e he did n damaged something

·
Registered
197 Posts
the problem.is not the way the key is cut. Or the key code .... not at all the key it self is fine try reprogramming the key which requires to go to the dealership. And get it programmed ....... the key lost it'd programming from the immoblizer

·
Registered
339 Posts
the problem.is not the way the key is cut. Or the key code .... not at all the key it self is fine try reprogramming the key which requires to go to the dealership. And get it programmed ....... the key lost it'd programming from the immoblizer
Would trying his other keys work to see if it is the key?

Aren't the 2003+ Accords using a Type 4 immobilizer that uses a rolling code program, or is there a Type 5 now; lol?

·
Registered
197 Posts
No if he had other keys it would do the same thing the immboilizer it self lost programming and not regonizing the key cauae the lost programing. and no the immbolizer still the same main thing it just lost it programing. Get it reprogram by the dealer scan tool

1 - 20 of 67 Posts