Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current symptom is the car won't start. It was cranking last night. Now it's complely gone. It sounds like a turbine when I turn the key on.

What happened was my CAI got wet due to the car sitting out and it seems like water dripped to the CAI filter. Thus, when I turned it on, it would just crank. I tried using quick start etc to no avail. I used my spare spark plugs but the symptom is still there.

Could it be i need a new starter?
It sounds similar to this

Updated
It sounds like it's cranking now?
Here's a video of my car

Update #2!
The car is cranking and is trying to start. There's a split second where it's actually going to start rather than just cranking.

Update #3!!!
So I decided to just keep cranking the car after letting it sit for 1 hour. I kept going because i can hear her wanting to start. All of a sudden, she just started. I gave it some throttle as i crank and kabam! She started. I wonder if it was the distributor. But if it happens again, i know where to look first.

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
The "turbine whine" sounds like the solenoid in the starter is no engaging, or the pinon gear from the motor which engages the teeth on the flywheel is worn out, but I would expect that to generate a lot of grinding sound before it could no longer engage the flywheel.

An old trick is take a broom stick and hit the starter sharply a bunch of times, it may loosen the starter solenoid if that was the problem.

As for the no-start, you should try some starter fluid, it can work wonders in a situation like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "turbine whine" sounds like the solenoid in the starter is no engaging, or the pinon gear from the motor which engages the teeth on the flywheel is worn out, but I would expect that to generate a lot of grinding sound before it could no longer engage the flywheel.

An old trick is take a broom stick and hit the starter sharply a bunch of times, it may loosen the starter solenoid if that was the problem.

As for the no-start, you should try some starter fluid, it can work wonders in a situation like this.
I tried the starter fluid but no luck. I also wacked the started with a 2x2 and a hammer on the other end but nothing. Does it mean i need a new starter? OR should i attempt to wack it harder? I don't know how hard i should be hitting it.

I read somewhere that there could be water in thecylinder so i ran the car without the spark plugs on them. After doing this, the car wouldn't crank anymore (turbine like sound)

I did a battery test and it came up to 12.4xVDC.

What I'm thinking is that when the filter was covered with water, and i turned the car to start, maybe the car sucked in the water and now the engine's sensor (similar to MAF?) won't allow the car the start until it's fully dry?

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
12.4VDC reading not under load doesn't tell you anything, your engine is cranking a bit slow.

Which is the most current video? The slower cranking or the turbine whine cranking? And are both videos of your car?

I can't see how your CAI filter can become covered with water if the car is just sitting there, usually the CAI water problem is from driving over a big puddle of water, the water splashed up is then ingested by the CAI.

It sounds like it had been wet in your location, IIRC the 6th Gen Accord still use conventional distributor, I would suspect moisture is potentially an issue, remove the distributor cap and dry out any moisture on the cap and inside as well, the distributor cap can develop a tiny crack difficult to see, but allows arcing with moisture as the conductor, you can spray "dry and go" type aerosol spray available from auto parts store and spray the distributor cap then try starting, old ignition wires can cause problems too if it has been wet outside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12.4VDC reading not under load doesn't tell you anything, your engine is cranking a bit slow.

Which is the most current video? The slower cranking or the turbine whine cranking? And are both videos of your car?

I can't see how your CAI filter can become covered with water if the car is just sitting there, usually the CAI water problem is from driving over a big puddle of water, the water splashed up is then ingested by the CAI.

It sounds like it had been wet in your location, IIRC the 6th Gen Accord still use conventional distributor, I would suspect moisture is potentially an issue, remove the distributor cap and dry out any moisture on the cap and inside as well, the distributor cap can develop a tiny crack difficult to see, but allows arcing with moisture as the conductor, you can spray "dry and go" type aerosol spray available from auto parts store and spray the distributor cap then try starting, old ignition wires can cause problems too if it has been wet outside.
12.4v and my battery is 350CCA above the car's oe CCA of i think 480 CCA? Anyways, the battery is brand new (less than 1 year so that can't be it.

The turbine sounding one was from another car (not mine) but the sound it produces is similar to mine at the time. I can no longer immitate that sound so i looked from one that's similar. The later is a video of my car.

I know what you mean. However, everytime it rains for prolong time (2 days heavy raining) The car ALWAYS experiences this symptom. Sometimes if i'm lucky it'll just be "bogy" and i have to let it rev until it's idling smoothly. What happens is that if i were to WOT in neutral, it will act as if it's choking and sputtering. It also puts out white smokes.

The reason i know it's the rain is because water drains from the windshield corner to the side, down under the hood and drips down to the CAI filter.

I will check the distributor cap in an hour. I have just replaced the distributor + cap last summer so it can't be that. I've also checked it a month ago and no sign of corrosion.

Maybe it's just moist as you said.

Update #2!
The car is cranking and is trying to start. There's a split second where it's actually going to start rather than just cranking.

Update #3!!!
So I decided to just keep cranking the car after letting it sit for 1 hour. I kept going because i can hear her wanting to start. All of a sudden, she just started. I gave it some throttle as i crank and kabam! She started. I wonder if it was the distributor. But if it happens again, i know where to look first.

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
12.4v and my battery is 350CCA above the car's oe CCA of i think 480 CCA? Anyways, the battery is brand new (less than 1 year so that can't be it.

The turbine sounding one was from another car (not mine) but the sound it produces is similar to mine at the time. I can no longer immitate that sound so i looked from one that's similar. The later is a video of my car.

I know what you mean. However, everytime it rains for prolong time (2 days heavy raining) The car ALWAYS experiences this symptom. Sometimes if i'm lucky it'll just be "bogy" and i have to let it rev until it's idling smoothly. What happens is that if i were to WOT in neutral, it will act as if it's choking and sputtering. It also puts out white smokes.

The reason i know it's the rain is because water drains from the windshield corner to the side, down under the hood and drips down to the CAI filter.

I will check the distributor cap in an hour. I have just replaced the distributor + cap last summer so it can't be that. I've also checked it a month ago and no sign of corrosion.

Maybe it's just moist as you said.

Update #2!

Update #3!!!
If what you described does not point to moisture induced problem then I don't know what is. :yes:

You may have flooded the car a bit during all this cranking, sometimes it just takes more cranking for the engine to catch.

Another trick the next time you encounter this problem is wait until night time, and make sure there isn't much lighting shining into the engine compartment, then watch for faint blue arcing sparks in the regular suspect areas while someone else cranks the engine, in particular the distributor cap and spark plug wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
before you start cranking the engine press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there and crank the engine over after few turns it should start to catch will sound like it want to start once it start let the gas pedal go
most likely you need new spark plugs wires cap and rotor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts