Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!…new here. Hopefully, I'm posting in the right place. (Please let me know if I'm wrong.)
I drive a 2013 Accord LX-S coupe which has developed a sporadic starting problem in the last 2 months. Honda changed the starter about 3 months ago & didn't find anything wrong with the car, other than worn tires (falling apart now and buying new ones). The problem, when I try to start the car, the Electronic Power Steering & Malfunction Indication Lamp/Check Engine stay on, & the Tire Pressure Monitoring System/Low Tire Pressure flashes & maybe the VSA also (not sure, I failed to take photo). The car seems to start but dies half a second later, so I keep trying with my foot on & off the gas. After 5-10 attempts, the car starts like nothing until it happens again a week or so later. All lights go off after it starts. Battery is new, so I don't think is lack of power. It feels like gas flow is cut off when I attempt to start. The only thing that is obviously wrong is my worn tires. One of them loses air on a weekly basis. Every time it happens, I check tire pressure & they are low, so I fill them up to spec. Could the issue be related to underinflated tires & TPMS? It's absurd to me, but the only thing I can think of since the car doesn't show any other signs. Has anyone seen this issue before? Thanks in advance to any suggestions/help.

The attached photo below is for reference use only, not my actual car. Lights that stay on while attempting to start the car.

Dashboard.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
you didnt say anythin about the alternator. is it ok?

with a car only 7 y.o., the alternator should be fine , but ya never know

starting troubles and christmas tree warning lights are classic alternator symptoms.

i had a 2009 CRV that ate 2 alternators in 11 years

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you didnt say anythin about the alternator. is it ok?

with a car only 7 y.o., the alternator should be fine , but ya never know

starting troubles and christmas tree warning lights are classic alternator symptoms.

i had a 2009 CRV that ate 2 alternators in 11 years
I don't know if Honda checked it when I took it in end of October. They didn't say, only the starter. Can alternator be inspected without removing it? I imagine a diagnostic code reader would show issue(s), no? Would those be the only lights on if alternator is bad or would the whole panel light up?

(Additional info: 3rd battery 9.2020, new starter 10.2020, new front brake pads 11.2020, no other repairs or accidents, 1 owner, 86,650 odo, in case any of this matters.)

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
get a multimeter or go to Autozone for a free alternator test.

and having 3rd new battery for a 2013 car sounds really wrong unless you have some electrical mods

i wonder if your alternator is wonky, but only intermittently.

beyond that we're gettting beyond my pay grade.

i checked my alternator and it was fine, but then my alternator failed 2 months later. it gave me a warning, was hesitant to start....and i ignored the warning . womp womp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get a multimeter or go to Autozone for a free alternator test.

and having 3rd new battery for a 2013 car sounds really wrong unless you have some electrical mods

i wonder if your alternator is wonky, but only intermittently.

beyond that we're gettting beyond my pay grade.

i checked my alternator and it was fine, but then my alternator failed 2 months later. it gave me a warning, was hesitant to start....and i ignored the warning . womp womp
I think I've replaced batteries every 3 years or so. I added fog lights only.

I forgot to mention that my car was sitting in my driveway for a few months and I failed to start it every so often. A friend told me that old gas probably caused a minor clog somewhere in the system and maybe cutting off gas. I bought "Seafoam" to add to tank just in case, and I'll definitely stop by Autozone for alternator test and code reading. I'll probably do a throttle body clean as well. Hopefully, that ends my troubles.

Thank you my friend for input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts