Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Car won't start.........

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  yanks1 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, I have a 2013 LX. It is 11 months old and has 3800 miles. I haven't started it since July. Well, I went out and it wouldn't turn over. I had AAA jump start it yesterday and drive around for an hour yesterday. I have 2 questions:

1. One hour should be enough to re-charge the battery right? It wouldn't start again today... Just a slow churning sound with lights blinking.

2. When I did drive it for an hour yesterday, it rode very very very rough. Could it be that the tires got warped-flat spotted- for sitting for 5 months??

Thanks

#3 ·
Hey everybody, I have a 2013 LX. It is 11 months old and has 3800 miles. I haven't started it since July. Well, I went out and it wouldn't turn over. I had AAA jump start it yesterday and drive around for an hour yesterday. I have 2 questions:

1. One hour should be enough to re-charge the battery right? It wouldn't start again today... Just a slow churning sound with lights blinking.

2. When I did drive it for an hour yesterday, it rode very very very rough. Could it be that the tires got.....flat spotted... sitting for 5 months??

Thanks
1...Running it an hour should have been enough to bring the battery back if it was still any good....replace it.

2...Ya' think??

#7 ·
Deep discharge isn't good for a car battery. You could be stressing your alternator with it having to charge up that bad battery each time.

As for the tires, it is possible they are bad after sitting for so long in one spot. Depending where you are, cold weather doesn't really help with the rubber reshaping itself either.

#8 ·
For a dead battery 1 hour of driving is not enough for a full charge, what you need is a battery tender if you are going to regularly let it sit.

http://batterytender.com

Here is a charging information, it is good information but a little long to post, follow the link, basically it is best to charge at 10amps/hour and for most batteries that will take 12+ hours. The alternator has the capability to charge at over 100 amps but depending on accessories running and RPM's will be much less.

http://www.batteries-faq.com/activekb/questions.php?questionid=55

Get a battery tender and charge up the battery and then have the battery tested, as no one can test a dead battery. I suspect there is nothing wrong with the battery.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
On the tires, I doubt there is anything wrong with them, you need to drive it normally. The tires will heat up and return to the normal shape, make sure the air pressure is correct after sitting 5 months I suspect they are low.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Thnx for the replies y'all. Predicate the help.

Should I take it to the purchasing dealer? Will they replace a dead battery? Or help with the tires?

I never thought that just leaving a brand new accord sit for a few months would cause these problems. I have owned Hondas since college and they are frickin bulletproof.......

I am no longer active military but I had a 5 month adventure that brought me back in to help some ol' government friends. It will never sit that long again.

Thnx

#11 ·
They will replace the battery under warranty. I left my TSX sitting a week in 15 degree temps, that killed a cell in the battery and it had to be replaced (under warranty of course).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.