Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'19 Sport 2.0T with 56k, mostly highway miles. Carmax is offering me $23,800 to buy it outright, and I owe 17k on it, so that would give me a downpayment of 6,800 on a '21 Touring. If I can negotiate the sale price of the new one down just a bit, I could potentially get into a Touring. Now, if a dealership within 100 actually had any Touring models, I might just pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
'19 Sport 2.0T with 56k, mostly highway miles. Carmax is offering me $23,800 to buy it outright, and I owe 17k on it, so that would give me a downpayment of 6,800 on a '21 Touring. If I can negotiate the sale price of the new one down just a bit, I could potentially get into a Touring. Now, if a dealership within 100 actually had any Touring models, I might just pull the trigger.
That's what I did. Three months ago I traded in my 2019 2.0t Sport with 5800 miles and got $26,500 for it... which is awesome because I paid $27,000 for it brand new. I traded it in for a 2021 Touring that I was able to negotiate for about $4500 off of MSRP. Sadly, the inventory of Accords in my neck of the woods is now a lot more limited and transaction prices have climbed up because of it. There's only one or two Tourings among the five Honda dealerships in my area- and dealers aren't offering much in terms of discount... maybe $1000 off of sticker.

I think I paid around $34,000 for my Touring in May- including the accessories that I wanted (heated steering wheel, cargo net, and mud guards) plus an extra $400 for the Sonic Gray Pearl color. I think that the sticker price including the accessories and destination was just a tick below $39,000. Today the dealer likely wouldn't go much lower than $38,000 for my car... that's a bit too much for an Accord.

My advice- test drive the Touring before buying... and I mean really test drive it. While I love the features that the Touring has compared to my 2.0t Sport, I miss the suspension setup on my Sport. You can press the sport button in the Touring and the adaptive dampers will improve the handling- but I don't like leaving the car in sport mode all the time- as it lowers the mpg significantly and the throttle response is almost too aggressive. I wish there was a way to adjust the handling separately from the throttle response in sport mode.

Oh- one more thing...

Have Carmax give you a print-out of their offer... and take it to your Honda dealer. If you trade it into the Honda dealer that you buy a Touring from- you'll save a boatload in terms of sales tax (if your state has one). In most (if not all) states, you only pay sales tax on the difference between the car you are trading in and the price of the new one. So instead of paying sales tax on $38,000 if you sell your 2019 to Carmax... you'd only pay sales tax on $14,200 (38,000-23,800). If your state's sales tax is 5.2% like mine, that will save you roughly $1200 in sales tax by trading your car into the dealer- and they might match Carmax's offer. My dealer was incredibly anxious to get my 2.0t Sport... because they knew that they would make money on selling it. They gave me $26,500 for it- and sold it for $29,500 within a week or two without much effort.

Reactions: markayash

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,310 Posts
I miss the suspension setup on my Sport. You can press the sport button in the Touring and the adaptive dampers will improve the handling- but I don't like leaving the car in sport mode all the time- as it lowers the mpg significantly and the throttle response is almost too aggressive.
Not possible.

Reactions: NoEgo

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I traded my Accord in on a RAV4 Hybrid about 9 days ago. I had a CARMAX printout for 12k. Carvana was 11.6, KBB was 12.2. All the other sources were higher if I guessed the vehicle condition correctly. I specifically did not show the CARMAX offer to the Toyota dealer because they will just take the proceeds from the netted tax by making an offer that is low but not low enough so that it's cheaper for you to sell your car to CARMAX and buy from the dealer. They lowballed me anyway coming in at 11.5. This would still be 300 cheaper than selling to CARMAX for 12 and buying from the dealer without a trade. They all know this. I then mentioned the CARMAX and they held firm so I walked out. The salesman followed me and after I vented I just did the deal to their terms. I wasn't going through all that hassle over $200. Dealer was sneaky though, they overcharged on sales tax as they had the wrong county. I'm skeptical and glad I caught the error. I'm only 12 miles away from this dealer so it's not like this could be a rare occurrence. HATE dealers.

This RAV Hybrid is a welcome surprise. It's surprisingly quick, instant battery power and no downshifts to wait on. It's also very smooth. The only time it feels rough is in full sustained throttle situations. This doesn't feel like the POS CVT in our CRV. It's very direct (I know an E-CVT has no pulleys compared to a normal CVT) Around town it's impressive. I've done 405 miles showing 47.7 mpg. I've done little highway. Handling is also impressive (I purchased a GAS RAV in June) but already knew this. It drives like a lifted car. I think I may have found my answer. It gives up so little compared to the Accord for what you get for year round AWD and utility. Now being on the other side, I don't think I could go back to a sedan unless it was AWD and that's doubtful. If not there's always the Prime.:)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I traded my Accord in on a RAV4 Hybrid about 9 days ago. I had a CARMAX printout for 12k. Carvana was 11.6, KBB was 12.2. All the other sources were higher if I guessed the vehicle condition correctly. I specifically did not show the CARMAX offer to the Toyota dealer because they will just take the proceeds from the netted tax by making an offer that is low but not low enough so that it's cheaper for you to sell your car to CARMAX and buy from the dealer. They lowballed me anyway coming in at 11.5. This would still be 300 cheaper than selling to CARMAX for 12 and buying from the dealer without a trade. They all know this. I then mentioned the CARMAX and they held firm so I walked out. The salesman followed me and after I vented I just did the deal to their terms. I wasn't going through all that hassle over $200. Dealer was sneaky though, they overcharged on sales tax as they had the wrong county. I'm skeptical and glad I caught the error. I'm only 12 miles away from this dealer so it's not like this could be a rare occurrence. HATE dealers.

This RAV Hybrid is a welcome surprise. It's surprisingly quick, instant battery power and no downshifts to wait on. It's also very smooth. The only time it feels rough is in full sustained throttle situations. This doesn't feel like the POS CVT in our CRV. It's very direct (I know an E-CVT has no pulleys compared to a normal CVT) Around town it's impressive. I've done 405 miles showing 47.7 mpg. I've done little highway. Handling is also impressive (I purchased a GAS RAV in June) but already knew this. It drives like a lifted car. I think I may have found my answer. It gives up so little compared to the Accord for what you get for year round AWD and utility. Now being on the other side, I don't think I could go back to a sedan unless it was AWD and that's doubtful. If not there's always the Prime.:)
I wouldn't be happy with a mini-crossover, ever. I need the nimbleness and quickness of my 2.0T. It's just simply more fun to drive. Not to mention the horrible drone of a CVT under acceleration. blech......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely considering doing the same. The CarMax offer on my '18 Accord Sport 2.0T /w 21K miles is just as generous as your's. Going to bring it to the Honda dealership and see what they'll offer for it.

Taking mine to a local dealership or two today to see what they'll offer in comparison to Carmax. Motivation on my end is also that my family members prefer a vehicle that is higher so that getting in and out doesn't require bending down as much, and a higher seating position.

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
53 Posts
I traded in a ‘19 Buick Regal TourX for my ‘21 HAH. dealer came in $500 more than Carvana & Carmax so it was an easy decision. Add the sales tax reduction and it was a done deal. Costco discount was another $500 plus they sent a coupon out for 50% off parts, services and accessories after the deal was done.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I wouldn't be happy with a mini-crossover, ever. I need the nimbleness and quickness of my 2.0T. It's just simply more fun to drive. Not to mention the horrible drone of a CVT under acceleration. blech......
Yeah, not in that league but I'm surprised how fun it is. I wouldn't call it mini. This trans doesn't drone unless it's floored and I'm too old to be doing that on a regular basis. I was on the fence about getting another sedan even went to check out an Avalon but glad it turned out this way.

Definitely considering doing the same. The CarMax offer on my '18 Accord Sport 2.0T /w 21K miles is just as generous as your's. Going to bring it to the Honda dealership and see what they'll offer for it.

Taking mine to a local dealership or two today to see what they'll offer in comparison to Carmax. Motivation on my end is also that my family members prefer a vehicle that is higher so that getting in and out doesn't require bending down as much, and a higher seating position.
I'm not sure what the appetite is for sedans even in this crazy Covid used car market. The dealer gave me the lecture of how they send folks to CARMAX where they can get thousands more. Not buying it as he also mentioned with the netted tax I'd be losing out on some savings. Just for fun I should have said I'll let CARMAX make the profit on the used car instead of you making the profit on a new and used car. They probably wouldn't have cared. In the end I just don't listen and simply look at the numbers and check them line by line. That's how I caught the sales tax error. Drove by the dealer this morning and my Accord was still there I figured it would go to auction since it's old. Looks like they didn't do anything to it but fortunately they scraped off the registration sticker. You should have much better luck they will want a new car with low miles. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, not in that league but I'm surprised how fun it is. I wouldn't call it mini. This trans doesn't drone unless it's floored and I'm too old to be doing that on a regular basis. I was on the fence about getting another sedan even went to check out an Avalon but glad it turned out this way.

I'm not sure what the appetite is for sedans even in this crazy Covid used car market. The dealer gave me the lecture of how they send folks to CARMAX where they can get thousands more. Not buying it as he also mentioned with the netted tax I'd be losing out on some savings. Just for fun I should have said I'll let CARMAX make the profit on the used car instead of you making the profit on a new and used car. They probably wouldn't have cared. In the end I just don't listen and simply look at the numbers and check them line by line. That's how I caught the sales tax error. Drove by the dealer this morning and my Accord was still there I figured it would go to auction since it's old. Looks like they didn't do anything to it but fortunately they scraped off the registration sticker. You should have much better luck they will want a new car with low miles. Good luck.

Just received an offer for 23k for our 2019 accord Ex with 25k miles. KBB has it listed between 23.5 - 25k so Carmax low balled us a bit. But in this insane market, it would be a win/lose situation as yes you're probably getting a better offer to sell your car, but used/new car prices are up with not much money left on the hood for negotiations. If we had a second car, we would and net a total of 6k in equity but this is our primary vehicle so it doesn't make sense to buy right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in an Accord Touring now because I was able to sell my 4.5 year old GTI for $1,500 less than I paid for it new in 2017 -- and I got a decent discount on the exact Accord I wanted. I was going to buy a new car in a year or so anyway, but the price of my GTI was too good to pass up.

Have you run your own numbers? I hope they are REALLY in your favor and you REALLY see a lot of value in a new Touring vs the perfectly fine Accord you have now. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
80 Posts
whats the point of switching to a newer Touring? it's not different enough from a 2.0 Sport that its really worth it. are you just worried about bigger maintenance jobs being needed for your car?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whats the point of switching to a newer Touring? it's not different enough from a 2.0 Sport that its really worth it. are you just worried about bigger maintenance jobs being needed for your car?
Yes, my job now doesn't require the kind of mileage i was doing in 2019, so I wouldn't rack up the miles now like I did on my current car. Warranty is a big thing for me. I could probably now make it 3 years before hitting 36k, instead of 60k in 2.5 years. I also want leather.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, my job now doesn't require the kind of mileage i was doing in 2019, so I wouldn't rack up the miles now like I did on my current car. Warranty is a big thing for me. I could probably now make it 3 years before hitting 36k, instead of 60k in 2.5 years. I also want leather.
makes sense i suppose, but you can buy extended warranty and also get your seats reupholstered. i imagine that would be cheaper than trying to get a touring and start all over again, plus trying to find the right car too right now could be problematic. i have been pondering getting my seats reupholstered to something comfier but havent looked into it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you know what your KBB/CarMax/Carvana value/offer was in January of this year or late last year (i.e. before the market went nuts) to know if $23,800 is a super deal?

Have you run the numbers of what you're going to pay to get into a new car (for the warranty that you want) vs. what you could set aside in a savings account for any issues that might come up with your existing car? Do you really come out ahead in a Touring?

Say you get a 7% discount on the Touring (good luck) and your on the road price is about $38,000. You're financing about $31,000. Can you swing that?

·
Honda Newb
67 Posts
Carmax won't even make on online offer for a new SE:

We'd like to see your Honda Accord
Your car is pretty rare, and our online offers are based on recent appraisals of similar cars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did the trade today. They came close to Carmax offer by $500, so I went with it. Between all four wheels having curb rash and a small scratch on the rear bumper, Carmax probably would have lowered their offer anyhow. Got a '21 Sport 2.0T in black (traded the white one) with no money out of pocket and paying $40 less per month.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just wondering but why are you trading in the Sport? Did you not like it?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wondering but why are you trading in the Sport? Did you not like it?
I should have said, I stayed with a Sport 2.0T. Basically went from 2019 to 2021 same car, different color. Lowered my payment by $40/month with no money out of pocket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I should have said, I stayed with a Sport 2.0T. Basically went from 2019 to 2021 same car, different color. Lowered my payment by $40/month with no money out of pocket.
Had you been making payments for the past 2 years or so towards your 2019 by the time you sold it?
What happened to wanting a Touring and leather?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts