Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my goal here is retain factory functions and keep things reliable. I have a 2013 Sport and actually purchased a metra 99-7804B off eBay with steering wheel control and a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX head unit.

I was planning the Metra route but people are having issues with FCW(Forward collision warning), dim iMID, and volume reset when putting the car in reverse to name a few. Are these issues present on the Sport models too which don’t have FCW for example?

I was thinking should I go the metra route or sell it and get a wiring harness? it seems like a straight forward route given you send your aftermarket harness to be wired up. Anyone have thoughts on this or suggestions? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
24 Posts
On my 2017 Hybrid, I installed:
  • Pioneer Wireless Android Auto AVH-W4400NEX + ASWC-1 steering module + MicroBypass Parking Brake Override.
  • Below the head unit is the original 12V outlet and my subwoofer control. The low profile sub is under the passenger seat.

Attachments

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,544 Posts
Holy red and blue Batman!

I like how you mounted the head unit though.

Reactions: Cepega

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my 2017 Hybrid, I installed:
  • Pioneer Wireless Android Auto AVH-W4400NEX + ASWC-1 steering module + MicroBypass Parking Brake Override.
  • Below the head unit is the original 12V outlet and my subwoofer control. The low profile sub is under the passenger seat.
That looks awesome! So did you make your own harness? I like that setup except for having to look down for CarPlay instead of near eye level.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No, I did not add/made cable harness. I cut the speaker lines from the stock radio, then soldered the Pioneer speaker lines to those lines. I purchased an antenna cable adapter, because the honda's terminal is square, while the pioneer is standard round antenna jack. I thought of custom trimming the stock unit, and switch spots between the pioneer & the stock radio. But ehh!
Oh, I replaced all 4 stock speakers. The stock speakers can't handle the much better sound from Pioneer.

I like how you mounted the head unit though.
I made a cardboard template for the head unit. Then used that template to fabricate a permanent one. I have a thin, stiff board laying around which I used. But you can use those thin PLEXIglass that you can buy from homedepot for like $5.Removed the trays, trimmed off the cell phone ledge. The face template were secured with 4 screws.

Here's the underseat sub

Attachments

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,544 Posts
@Spyro! You want to come do mine?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll take that as a compliment, and thanks for the offer. I would but I'm really busy at my job. But here's how I did it. I trimmed and used the Accord's tray as upper "ears" as shown on the pictures. So removing the radio is just like removing the tray. The two bottom metal "L" brackets were added. So as seen on these pictures, the entire head unit is Plug & Play", with just four removable screws.
Note that the two screws that you see on the upper corners on the 3rd picture, attaches the "ears" to the faceplate, so they are permanent.
Hopefully these helps.
17.jpg 18.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks awesome, anyone use the harness sold on eBay that’s custom made?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried dming you the link but it won’t let me search Honda Accord stereo install kit

Mods won’t let me link the product since the seller was spamming here, just want to know if it works

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
750 Posts
Great install @Spyro! I can’t believe I haven’t seen this done before. I know many have mounted single DIN units below.

Got any pics with the gear shift in Park?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
@Spyro! I like the custom install!!

The only issue with it is that, of course, the HU that is capable of CarPlay / Android Auto, and therefore of navigation directions, is all the way down there. Definitely not a good thing if you wanted to use the HU for that purpose.

Can I ask the source of the steering wheel wrap?

·
3-Time Accord Owner
1,141 Posts
Get the Alpine iLX-W650, which is double-din and CarPlay, but the chassis is only 2" deep, allowing burying the head unit in the dash vertically behind it. See my thread in this same sub-forum. I am very happy and it all works great! Just need to fabricate an umbilical so I can more easily connect faceplate to head unit on occasion (setting clock etc.). Am now looking to buy a donor head unit on eBay to harvest the connector parts needed. You aren't going to beat the W650 for the price (under $300) and one focus of the few negative reviews is easy to fix - get a microbypass device for $15 (Amazon) which "fools" the HU into thinking you are parked. Works great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts