Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2018 Touring since October 19th. CarPlay has always worked fine with the occasional need to re-plug my iPhone X if the device isn't recognized. Today the car absolutely would not start CarPlay. I tried restarting both the phone and car multiple times. No luck. I "forgot" the car from my phone and the phone from my car settings and paired them up again from scratch. No luck. I tried swapping USB cables (all genuine Apple ones). No luck. Then I swapped in my wife's Samsung Galaxy S8+ with Android Auto and it all works just fine. Still no luck with my iPhone X. No software or hardware has been updated anywhere in the chain, so it's really weird it just randomly stopped working. Using Honda's interface with the phone as a USB source also works normally, as does Bluetooth.

Here are pics of the errors I am receiving, in order. I get the first one immediately, then when I go to the CarPlay settings as the error message suggests, I get the second error.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Resetting the radio to factory defaults resolved this issue for me yesterday!
1) From the Home screen tap Settings
2) Tap System
3) Scroll down and tap Factory Data Reset and then tap Continue
This takes about 5 minutes to complete and then will present a screen asking for your radio code if you are running the car in accessory mode. You can get past this by switching the car to run mode or just turning it on. You might have to hold the radio power button for 2-5 seconds the first time. After that, your presets and sound customization settings are reset, but Apple CarPlay works again!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2) Tap System
This takes about 5 minutes to complete and then will present a screen asking for your radio code if you are running the car in accessory mode. You can get past this by switching the car to run mode or just turning it on. You might have to hold the radio power button for 2-5 seconds the first time. After that, your presets and sound customization settings are reset, but Apple CarPlay works again!

Worked like a champ, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been having this issue a lot. I have had to reset 4 times and I just bought the car in January. HondaLink is aware of the issue and they say they are working on an update. I'm kinda pissed that this is not working..

·
Banned
438 Posts
I'm surprised at how many people have had Carplay issues, when I've yet to have even a single issue with Android Auto since taking delivery...

Makes you wonder if it's on Honda's end, or Apple's...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve had my 2018 HAH for 2 weeks now. After the first week, apple CarPlay stopped working as I was using WAZE on a 3 hr drive. I noticed it stalled and then would no longer recognize my phone, however the phone would keep charging from that front end (apple carplay) USB port. When I would click apple CarPlay, screen would say no device detected, check if enabled from settings (which it was). After doing several things to trouble shoot: factory reset from settings of the infotainment system worked.

I’ve seen this mentioned on some apple website as being an issue, and neither apple nor Honda seem to help resolve the issue or take ownership and there is no update yet.

1) Wondering how many HAH owners have experienced the same issue and how often resets needed.

Additional Q: My dashboard has slight rattling intermittently, which stands out in this quiet car.
2) Any ways to fix it? Rattling can happen at pretty low speeds and relatively smooth roads. May have to do with temperature of car in this cold weather but unsure.

Thank you!
Ash

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use Android Auto in mine but some things you can check: 1) try different USB cables and 2) give it some time.
1) The first USB cable I tried was able to charge but didn't handle the data so it wouldn't be recognized or would be inconsistent. That issue was more or less fixed (see below) once I changed out the cable.
2) The first couple of weeks were weird. It was almost as though the car was trying to acclimate, learn about me. One example is the seat memory: sometimes it would just randomly forget and I would have to reset it. It only did this a couple of times in the first couple weeks and it hasn't done it since (I've had the car since September). Same thing with the Android Auto. Changing the cable made it more consistent but it would still disconnect randomly sometimes. After about 3 weeks or so it's been solid. One quirk I do notice though is that if I connect the cable before the Bluetooth has had a chance to connect then my phone won't be recognized - I have to let the Bluetooth connect first.

Rattling: I have rattling from my back seat somewhere. On a bumpy freeway or road it's a consistent rattle...and I mean to take the back seat apart and look for it. Sorry I don't have an suggestion for your dash.

Nam

·
REV29K
556 Posts
Check your iPhone and make sure USB Accessories is turned on under Settings -> Passcode. You will have issues with the system recognizing your phone unless this setting is turned on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ash,

Regarding your question on the dash rattle. There are multiple complaints here on the Honda forum regarding this. It's the heads up display casing in the dash. While there isn't an official fix for this from Honda, many dealerships have identified their own solution. Essentially, they put a layer of felt between the layers of plastic and it fixes it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having the very same issues with the carplay and the rattling in the back seat, usually at lower temperatures. Its super annoying. I brought it back to the dealership and they couldnt "replicate". Told them it needs to be driven over bumps and under colder temperatures. Told me that I would have to leave the car with them for a few days. havent had the time to bring it back. if you figure anything out please update. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have also developed the back seat rattle. I cannot tell where it's coming from but it's driving me mad!!! It's not temperature dependent. It's already quite warm in Mississippi. I'm driving a 2018 Touring Hybrid. If anybody identifies what this is. Please reply. I will be forever grateful.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In terms of back seat rattle, there are multiple posts (maybe combined into fewer threads) on rear deck rattling, especially when playing bass-heavy music. In some cases these seem related to the little plastic inserts in the rear deck for car seat mounting. Some people who don't need/use the car seat mounts have simply stuffed something under the latching lid (like a small sock, or piece of cloth). There are also threads that describe inserting little foam pieces between the edge of the rear deck and the rear window (or other remedies like that). If you do a little searching, you'll no doubt find these threads.

As the rattle isn't hybrid-specific, these threads are in the main 10G forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve seen this mentioned on some apple website as being an issue, and neither apple nor Honda seem to help resolve the issue or take ownership and there is no update yet.
1) Wondering how many HAH owners have experienced the same issue and how often resets needed.
As another poster mentioned, the USB cable makes a big difference. I use the Amazon Basics ones and have few problems (although they do happen intermittently.)

Another thing to check is whether their is lint in your phone's lightning port. I've had this happen twice. My phone worked on a charger and with certain devices, but not with Carplay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
having the same issue here... I have the 2018 Sport and my apple CarPlay glitches. What I do was unplug and re plug . Sometimes hard reset to factory settings. Today my it totally stopped working. Tried switching cables but no luck.. please help

·
Registered
50 Posts
Keep in mind that a security feature in iOS prevents your iPhone from communicating over the USB port unless that iPhone has been unlocked within the past hour. This is to prevent someone (cough government agents cough) from being able to access your phone without having the passcode.

I simply unlock my phone when I'm heading to my car, then lock the phone again. It's worked flawlessly since I started doing that.

For more info, see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys check your lightning cable. I had the same problem and it was caused by a cheapo cable from amazon which did not support Carplay. Try using the original iPhone cable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2) Tap System
I had to do this yesterday (2019 HA Hybrid Touring, 10,000 miles on it). Have occasionally had a time where it didn't see the iPhone when I plugged it in, yesterday nothing I did would work. Tried both USB's, multiple cords, nothing would make the car see the phone.

I performed the factory reset as above, it took about one minute, and voila, everything was fine. No settings were lost, except my A and B mileage history.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts