Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2018 Touring since October 19th. CarPlay has always worked fine with the occasional need to re-plug my iPhone X if the device isn't recognized. Today the car absolutely would not start CarPlay. I tried restarting both the phone and car multiple times. No luck. I "forgot" the car from my phone and the phone from my car settings and paired them up again from scratch. No luck. I tried swapping USB cables (all genuine Apple ones). No luck. Then I swapped in my wife's Samsung Galaxy S8+ with Android Auto and it all works just fine. Still no luck with my iPhone X. No software or hardware has been updated anywhere in the chain, so it's really weird it just randomly stopped working. Using Honda's interface with the phone as a USB source also works normally, as does Bluetooth.

Here are pics of the errors I am receiving, in order. I get the first one immediately, then when I go to the CarPlay settings as the error message suggests, I get the second error.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Resetting the radio to factory defaults resolved this issue for me yesterday!
1) From the Home screen tap Settings
2) Tap System
3) Scroll down and tap Factory Data Reset and then tap Continue
This takes about 5 minutes to complete and then will present a screen asking for your radio code if you are running the car in accessory mode. You can get past this by switching the car to run mode or just turning it on. You might have to hold the radio power button for 2-5 seconds the first time. After that, your presets and sound customization settings are reset, but Apple CarPlay works again!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2) Tap System
This takes about 5 minutes to complete and then will present a screen asking for your radio code if you are running the car in accessory mode. You can get past this by switching the car to run mode or just turning it on. You might have to hold the radio power button for 2-5 seconds the first time. After that, your presets and sound customization settings are reset, but Apple CarPlay works again!

Worked like a champ, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been having this issue a lot. I have had to reset 4 times and I just bought the car in January. HondaLink is aware of the issue and they say they are working on an update. I'm kinda pissed that this is not working..

·
Banned
437 Posts
I'm surprised at how many people have had Carplay issues, when I've yet to have even a single issue with Android Auto since taking delivery...

Makes you wonder if it's on Honda's end, or Apple's...

·
Registered
1 Posts
having the same issue here... I have the 2018 Sport and my apple CarPlay glitches. What I do was unplug and re plug . Sometimes hard reset to factory settings. Today my it totally stopped working. Tried switching cables but no luck.. please help

·
Registered
48 Posts
Keep in mind that a security feature in iOS prevents your iPhone from communicating over the USB port unless that iPhone has been unlocked within the past hour. This is to prevent someone (cough government agents cough) from being able to access your phone without having the passcode.

I simply unlock my phone when I'm heading to my car, then lock the phone again. It's worked flawlessly since I started doing that.

For more info, see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys check your lightning cable. I had the same problem and it was caused by a cheapo cable from amazon which did not support Carplay. Try using the original iPhone cable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2) Tap System
I had to do this yesterday (2019 HA Hybrid Touring, 10,000 miles on it). Have occasionally had a time where it didn't see the iPhone when I plugged it in, yesterday nothing I did would work. Tried both USB's, multiple cords, nothing would make the car see the phone.

I performed the factory reset as above, it took about one minute, and voila, everything was fine. No settings were lost, except my A and B mileage history.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I picked up an iPhone 11 Pro on Saturday and when using CarPlay the text message read function does not seem to work. I am going to try a reset of the infotainment center as this thread states to see if that helps. Has anyone else experienced this?

I was using google maps and a text came in. When I clicked on the message I hear the siri chime but then nothing is ready out loud. No matter what I did, it would not read the message aloud.

Edit:

So I tried to to the reboot and it said the unit could not reboot. Has anyone run into this? I'm going to try again tomorrow when I have more time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts