Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I live in San Francisco Bay Area in California and my 2006 Accord LX catalytic converter was stolen last week... Cat. thieves are on the rise like crazy lately, Toyota Prius was the number one target last year, now Accords are prime targets as well. Watch out and be safe guys, I was lucky the thieves only unbolted my cat. so no cut was made and I still have my A pipe, flanges and upstream O2 sensor. I'm only missing my cat. and the downstream O2 sensor, they even left the six nuts on the ground for me to re-use...:rolleyes:
However I called many dealerships in the entire Bay Area and they all told me this particular cat. (18160-RAD-L11) is on national back order, for at least 4-6 months. Just to show so many people have lost their cats lately, unbelievable.
Since my car was purchased in California, unfortunately I have a SULEV emission vehicle and Honda OEM cat. is the only option for my car. I have one on back order now but I won't be seeing my new cat. until August at least, I still need to use my vehicle for the time being so I came up with an idea, please hear me out and see if it's doable.
While waiting for my OEM cat. to come, if I buy an direct fit el-cheapo eBay cat. which costs about 70 bucks (absolutely the cheapest), none California cat, will it work with my SULEV style ECM? Obviously I know by installing an non-cali cat, I will never pass any smog test. But my next smog test is one year from now on, by that time I will likely to receive my OEM order. This temporary idea is just for me to still get around the city with my car not sounding like a hot rod. I'd like to know by putting on a non-cali cat on a California car, will it harm anything in my car? Will it fit? Cause any CEL? Safe enough to drive around for just couple of months?
Thanks everyone.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,684 Posts
People in the other states are riding around without Cali cats and their cars are doing fine. I'm doing the waiting game as well. I'll probably grab an out of state one while on my next vacation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,
I live in San Francisco Bay Area in California and my 2006 Accord LX catalytic converter was stolen last week... Cat. thieves are on the rise like crazy lately, Toyota Prius was the number one target last year, now Accords are prime targets as well. Watch out and be safe guys, I was lucky the thieves only unbolted my cat. so no cut was made and I still have my A pipe, flanges and upstream O2 sensor. I'm only missing my cat. and the downstream O2 sensor, they even left the six nuts on the ground for me to re-use...:rolleyes:
However I called many dealerships in the entire Bay Area and they all told me this particular cat. (18160-RAD-L11) is on national back order, for at least 4-6 months. Just to show so many people have lost their cats lately, unbelievable.
Since my car was purchased in California, unfortunately I have a SULEV emission vehicle and Honda OEM cat. is the only option for my car. I have one on back order now but I won't be seeing my new cat. until August at least, I still need to use my vehicle for the time being so I came up with an idea, please hear me out and see if it's doable.
While waiting for my OEM cat. to come, if I buy an direct fit el-cheapo eBay cat. which costs about 70 bucks (absolutely the cheapest), none California cat, will it work with my SULEV style ECM? Obviously I know by installing an non-cali cat, I will never pass any smog test. But my next smog test is one year from now on, by that time I will likely to receive my OEM order. This temporary idea is just for me to still get around the city with my car not sounding like a hot rod. I'd like to know by putting on a non-cali cat on a California car, will it harm anything in my car? Will it fit? Cause any CEL? Safe enough to drive around for just couple of months?
Thanks everyone.
Not sure why it didn't post, but I just took mine off 2007 accord V6 and it had a clean 100k miles so it looks extremely clean. just cover shipping from Las Cruces NM 88001 and its yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts