Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is a common problem 7th gen accords have, but i drive a 2003 Honda Accord 2.4L with a spoiler (mentioning because that might affect it slightly), and it drinks fuel like it's nothing. In the city, my mileage is roughly 14-16 mpg, i hit a new record now of about 17.5 mpg for the first time, but this is still a very rare feat.

On the highway I don't have this problem, i get 26-30 mpg on the highway usually, it's just a problem with city driving.

The issues i know the car has that need to be fixed are:
1. AC Condenser (missing over half it's fins but not leaking)
2. Starter/Starter Solenoid (Solenoid freezes in cold weather)
3. Parking brake cables (loose, not right, they are not stuck on)
4. Knock Sensor (New issue, started 2 weeks ago. Mileage issue has been going for a year+)
5. Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor
6. Passenger seatbelt sensor not reading correctly (highly unlikely to have any effect)

Issues that i have already checked/fixed:
1. Clean air intake hose (had several holes in it, did not fix the problem)
2. Brakes (lightly stuck on because of warping. Could hear grinding when turning sharp left)
3. Tire pressure (optimal)
4. Alignment (perfect)
5. No additional cargo (other than the spare the only cargo i have is a replacement starter that weighs 8 pounds)

This picture was taken a few minutes ago (in accessory mode)
Car Speedometer Trip computer Automotive lighting Odometer

after a 5 mile drive and 5 minutes of idling. After idling, dropped 1-2 ticks on fuel. After the drive, another 2. Went from 5/8 to 1/2 in 15 mins.

I genuinely don't know what the problem is but I'm tired of paying for gas so often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"5 minutes of idling"? What for? The problem seems more about you than the car. It's common to get 15 miles/gal in stop and go traffic, for cars burning gas. The longer the engine runs, the more gas it consumes, simple as that.
Briefly stopped to give something to a friend and talked. This is not a common occurrence I just happened to idle for a few minutes this time.

Your city mileage is not uncommon for people that drive in a heavy congested city such as NYC or LA. When you are at idle you are getting 0 mpg's. Keep the throttle body / mass airflow sensor clean, check tire pressure daily, decarbonize the top end of the engine & use a good quality fuel system cleaner such as BG44 in your gas tank once in a while. Make sure you have genuine spark plugs (not fakes off of Amazon / eBay). A hybrid with start / stop technology would be a better choice next time. Make sure there isn't a caliper sticking & that your upstream 02 sensor isn't failing (NGK/NTK or Denso brands for replacements). Driving 63 mph on the highway is the optimum speed for the best mpg's on the 03 / 04 2.4 engine. Your seatbelts & their components have a lifetime warranty (the limited seatbelt warranties started with the 2006 model year). Make sure the airbags recall has been done (there were 2, they had to replace the bags from the first recall on some cars).
I'll check the spark plugs next chance I get, and the sensors. Thanks! The next car I buy will probably either be hybrid or electric but for the time being this one will do. Paying for gas is just a bit annoying with it but it's a good car. As others have said I get very good mileage on a car this old, especially as it's approaching 200,000 miles (I know I'm still 15k away)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts