Discussion Starter #1
Curious... Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
People have done it on a coupe ...it's the same engine. REALLY raspy. V6s Sounds like crap without the right resonator. A lot of people have buddies with a V8 that's catless so they think a V6 will sound like that.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed an 18" Magnaflow resonator in the place of the main cat. My car sounds stock except for the air intake. No rasp at all... I kind of wish the exhaust was a little louder actually.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Blow The Carbon Out
190 Posts
It's expensive, but it is also something that can be bolted up in a garage. I went with the ATLP system in my 8th gen, j pipe all the way back was put on in a few hours by myself with a floor jack. Also sounds super sexy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I installed an 18" Magnaflow resonator in the place of the main cat. My car sounds stock except for the air intake. No rasp at all... I kind of wish the exhaust was a little louder actually.
If you're going for all out performance, I'd go with no cats. If you are just looking for slightly better performance and a better exhaust note I would stick to the stock cats or HFPCs.

I'm personally sticking with the stock pre-cats for now. I will be installing the RV6 J-pipe and a cat back though. (Magnaflow)

·
Basque Red Fury
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're going for all out performance, I'd go with no cats. If you are just looking for slightly better performance and a better exhaust note I would stick to the stock cats or HFPCs.

I'm personally sticking with the stock pre-cats for now. I will be installing the RV6 J-pipe and a cat back though. (Magnaflow)
Yep I have no cats at all. The smell is slight and I've gotten used to it. One draw back is discolored exhaust tips, but the low end torque gains are impressive

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep I have no cats at all. The smell is slight and I've gotten used to it. One draw back is discolored exhaust tips, but the low end torque gains are impressive
Yeah, my last car was header, test pipe, exhaust so I feel you. :smile

Reactions: ScarletExpress

·
Registered
841 Posts
my opinion is function equals form. not the other way around. If no cats means more power, then however it sounds is how its supposed to sound. Make your exhaust a trumpet!

Not to mention your cat-back will help determine your sound. If its quality (Greddy, Megan, Spoon) then it has a good resonator and it can eliminate the "ghetto" thug-ricer sound. Whatever rasp you will have is meant to be there...

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, I really love Hondas, but it drives me crazy how most Honda enthusiasts can't think past 'bolt-on'. Those exhaust kits are a great way to throw away your hard earned money if you just have too much lying around I guess. Anyway here's a couple things to consider:

1. First thing I ever noticed when I looked under my Accord (2013 EX-L V6/A6 Nav) for the first time is that all of the exhaust pipe is DOM. Awesome! No kinks. So why the hell would you replace it. It's also a little on the large side for a NA V6, so there's plenty of flow to work with. Good exhaust kits are always built with DOM tubing. Good exhaust kits are also upwards of $600-700 and can run well over $1000 depending on who makes them. The point is, why spend all that money to replace DOM tubing with DOM tubing? Just weld in your own mufflers and resonator/s.

2. CATALYTIC CONVERTERS NEGATIVELY AFFECT PERFORMANCE, PERIOD. Leaving your cats on because they also sorta function like an extra muffler is just (I used the R-Word because I don't know how to communicate properly) Resonators in general are usually built as in-line straight through glasspack mufflers. No flow restrictions. None. They affect flow as much as a straight piece of exhaust pipe would. Catalytic converters on the other hand employ a very flow restricting platinum coated honeycomb structure. The exhaust has to flow through this platinum mesh, that over time gets carbon deposit buildup and becomes increasingly flow restricting. If you want to better understand why this is bad, then Google: 'exhaust pressure wave tuning' and do some reading.

3. If you're exhaust is loud and raspy once you've rendered it free flowing, it's because you selected a loud, raspy muffler. There are lots of good flowing mufflers that are pretty quiet until you hit WOT under load. Or, either add a resonator where you cut out the mid cat (good idea), or add resonator tips (haven't tried these) to your mufflers.

What I'm getting at with all this is that you can build a pretty kick ass exhaust system for around $200-300 if you do it yourself. If you don't have a welder you should go make friends with somebody who does.

·
Modifier
181 Posts
Your rant shows why talking with a little knowledge is foolish. You make generalizations that are inaccurate at best. I could pick it apart but that would require more than I am willing to put in to be thorough and correct.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There aren't many options for Accords past 'bolt on.' But wow...saying 'Honda enthusiasts don't think past bolt on' has to be the most absurd, inaccurate generalization I've ever heard. I could pick it apart as well but it isn't worth it at this time.

Anyway...just get a cutout. Stick with the stock exhaust and throw a cutout at the end of the Jpipe collector (assuming you have a Jpipe). That's what I did and can't recommend it it enough. I've been through probably 4 or 5 different exhaust variations and far & away the cutout is the best. Even if you are catless, you can ride around quietly with it closed and LOUD with it open. I have a 7.5G Coupe, but I gained 30whp with the Cutout open vs. closed. I am full bolt on, so results will vary (especially considering the 9G have a larger exhaust stock), but it's worth itttttttt.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
There aren't many options for Accords past 'bolt on.' But wow...saying 'Honda enthusiasts don't think past bolt on' has to be the most absurd, inaccurate generalization I've ever heard. I could pick it apart as well but it isn't worth it at this time.

Anyway...just get a cutout. Stick with the stock exhaust and throw a cutout at the end of the Jpipe collector (assuming you have a Jpipe). That's what I did and can't recommend it it enough. I've been through probably 4 or 5 different exhaust variations and far & away the cutout is the best. Even if you are catless, you can ride around quietly with it closed and LOUD with it open. I have a 7.5G Coupe, but I gained 30whp with the Cutout open vs. closed. I am full bolt on, so results will vary (especially considering the 9G have a larger exhaust stock), but it's worth itttttttt.
Which cutout did you use, the low profile one? And does it leak at all?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your rant shows why talking with a little knowledge is foolish. You make generalizations that are inaccurate at best. I could pick it apart but that would require more than I am willing to put in to be thorough and correct.
Oooh, did I touch a nerve? I wasn't 'ranting', but I guess it came across that way. There is no good reason not to get those cats out of the way. Period. It's also stupid to spend hundreds of dollars on a bunch of stainless tubing just because somebody else already bent it for your and welded it together if you're able to make your own. Neither of those things are wrong.

A catalytic converter is a bad solution to a problem, but since your government overlords mandated that all vehicles have cats since 1971, car manufacturers are stuck working around these flow restrictors that are only there because the AF mixture isn't fully combusted at the end of the cycle. The wiser, although more difficult, way for an engineer to approach that problem is to design an engine that burns more completely. One of the ways you do this is by improving flow characteristics, except that you can only take this so far if you have a big stupid cat that the government forces you to include in your design.

And for the record, your options up to and including bolt ons are indeed very limited with these cars. Your options beyond boltons are limited only by your skills and your tools. It's pretty amazing what you can do with just a few dremmel attachments and a homemade flow bench. Nearly everything I've ever done with a car I taught myself. The only way to learn is to do your homework and go get your hands dirty. Or you can sit here and complain about the 'lack of good upgrades' on the market. I say if nobody is building what you want then build it yourself.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's pretty amazing what you can do with just a few dremmel attachments and a homemade flow bench
Yep, @ffearless is correct... But I do enjoy all "foolish" post. I haven't seen any post from you demonstrating your technical expertise... If you have something to share, please post it. I love "hacking" your shit with a dremmel tool. You might send your "Super Mods" to the idiot engineers at Honda, lol. The last person I saw displaying your attitude replaced his intake with a fricking 4' dryer hose... :0 Of course the Maytag Repair Man was his next post...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts