Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, car stats:

2003 Accord coupe V6 6MT
Navigation unit ('03 not equipped with XM)

TLDR;
Question 1: Will a 2006 6 disc CD changer from a non-navi HU be compatible with a 2003 navi HU with a broken one?
Question 2: Can someone help me with the dip settings for my USA*SPEC iPod interface?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 1:

Like many, my 6 disc CD changer jammed up giving me the CD err error, representing a mechanical error in the changer. FAIL.

My question is- is it possible to swap in a CD changer from another Accord non-navi head unit into mine? And if so, would a 2006 CD changer be compatible?

I'm thinking of buying this and parting it:

Have a factory radio/6disc cd player out of a 2006 honda accord. It has a 6disc cd changer built in, also has the climate etc in it. I do not have a unlock code for it but you can get that from the dealer. willing to deal to get it outta here. Email for more info or to buy it!

*image taken from google images, but looks similar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2:

So in a previous thread I attempted to install a USA*SPEC PA15-HON2 iPod/iPhone interface unit to my AUX port to bypass my jammed CD changer (CD err). I tried and I couldn't get it to work. Even after hooking it up my CD/AUX button would keep going to "CD" mode and giving me CD err instead of picking up the AUX input no matter how many times I pressed it.

Anyway, I may attempt again pretty soon, and wanted to see if anyone who's installed a USA*SPEC hook up could help me out with the dip settings. The manual it came with is extremely confusing to me to configure for my specific vehicle.

Here's the USA*SPEC page for this model, at the bottom it has a link for the PDF installation manual.

Anyway, any help would be great! Thanks for your input.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump for some help?

·
VTAKKKK
1,710 Posts
I believe DIP #1 should be on since that's the AUX port. You must use 3.5mm cable (headphone jack size) for this to work. I believe you need the CD changer to function properly to use the CD-C mode.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer! Any idea if the CD changer in above is compatible with my navi unit?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
The CD changer from a Non-Navi head unit is NOT compatible with Navi head units. They are completely different. You need to replace it with a Navi CD/Tuner core. Contact OEMCarAudio on eBay for a replacement core. You must get one for a 2003 Navi head unit because the 2004-2007 CD/Tuner cores are XM ready and your upper display will not work unless you replace it with a 2003 CD/Tuner core. However, you can replace the upper display if you want, but that will run you $200+.

·
4,574 Posts
I believe DIP #1 should be on since that's the AUX port. You must use 3.5mm cable (headphone jack size) for this to work. I believe you need the CD changer to function properly to use the CD-C mode.
Incorrect information. The in-dash CD changer has nothing to do with the USASpec iPod kit. Without XM, the dip switches must be configured for Non-XM use. See page 7 of the manual, section 3-3. For Non-XM, the dip switches must be ON for Dip Switches 2, 3, and 4. Dip #1 is for Aux on or off. So if you plan on using an additional audio source through the Aux input, set Dip #1 accordingly. Once you set Dip 2, 3, and 4 to ON, the USASpec will appear an an external CD Changer (CD-C). Your CD/Aux button will toggle between the broken in-dash CD unit (CD), and the iPod (CD-C). If you can successfully eject your CDs, then the CD/Aux button will be for CD-C only. In your photo, it looks like some of the switches may not be fully in the on position. Set all the switches to ON, and see if that works.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply! I've heard about the OEMcaraudio seller before, probably from you, ha. I think I'll contact him. As for the dip settings, I'll give it a shot! Probably wait until I get the CD/tuner core first so I can do it all at once. Car's in storage fr winter anyways.

Thanks again! And if anyone has anything else they'd like to throw in feel free.

·
4,574 Posts
The problem with the USASpec, as you discovered, the manual was written by a bunch of retarded idiots. It makes no sense. Another member had problems with the dip switch settings, and I think he got it to work by leaving the Aux dip #1 on. Can't remember. Many have also gotten dead units on arrival as well.

Another option on the CD/Tuner core is that you may be able to replace yours with any model year Navi CD/Tuner core, as long as you transfer your tuner board to the new changer mechanism. Honda sells the CD/Tuner core as one part, not separately. So no matter what, you get a new tuner board. This would typically mean you are limited to the 2003 model year since your upper display is non-XM. But since your tuner board works, you can probably use any year core and swap the tuner boards. If you get a new CD/Tuner core from OEMCarAudio, and don't feel like swapping the boards, you also need to tell them that you need the Premium Audio version as well.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since I'm not too familiar with tuner boards (enough confusion as is) I'll probably try to find the CD/tuner core that goes with my '03 head unit. I'll definitely try and get ahold of that guy though, soon as I get Internet at my apartment and I can stop using my phone, ha.

If I can't get the USA*Spec working I'll probably try the Dice one, which I think you recommended to me. Simpler. I contacted USA*Spec about returning it, and they okayed it, but then I didn't send back, so I don't know if I still can return. :-/ may try to mail it to someone to try on theirs and see if it's working or not.

·
VTAKKKK
1,710 Posts
I knew dip #1 was for aux but I'd trust this guy about audio/navi stuff.

·
4,574 Posts
Well since I'm not too familiar with tuner boards (enough confusion as is) I'll probably try to find the CD/tuner core that goes with my '03 head unit. I'll definitely try and get ahold of that guy though, soon as I get Internet at my apartment and I can stop using my phone, ha.

If I can't get the USA*Spec working I'll probably try the Dice one, which I think you recommended to me. Simpler. I contacted USA*Spec about returning it, and they okayed it, but then I didn't send back, so I don't know if I still can return. :-/ may try to mail it to someone to try on theirs and see if it's working or not.
When you pull your head unit and remove the CD/Tuner core, you will see that the tuner board is just mounted to the top of it with a ribbon connector. It is similar to doing work on a computer, you would just swap the motherboards that are attached to the changer mechanism. But OEMCarAudio should be able to find a new CD/Tuner core for you.

Here is the back of your head unit. The tuner sits on top of the changer mechanism, it has the three ports surrounded by the heat sink.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you pull your head unit and remove the CD/Tuner core, you will see that the tuner board is just mounted to the top of it with a ribbon connector. It is similar to doing work on a computer, you would just swap the motherboards that are attached to the changer mechanism. But OEMCarAudio should be able to find a new CD/Tuner core for you.

Here is the back of your head unit. The tuner sits on top of the changer mechanism, it has the three ports surrounded by the heat sink.
Thanks for labeling that picture. Super helpful! I just got internet at my place, so I'll probably see if I can get in contact with OEMCarAudio soon.

·
4,574 Posts
Thanks for labeling that picture. Super helpful! I just got internet at my place, so I'll probably see if I can get in contact with OEMCarAudio soon.
My in-dash changer is failing too. It errors out when one CD is inserted, then resets and plays when you restart the engine. So I don't dare insert any CDs now. With the CDs successfully ejected, the internal player is ignored when I press CD/Sat Radio. It toggles between XM (iPod adapter) and CD-C for the Honda 8-CD changer. That was my solution to my failing CD changer. However, I just removed the Dice iPod adapter because it was killing my battery. How's that for a nice failure after 3 years?

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My in-dash changer is failing too. It errors out when one CD is inserted, then resets and plays when you restart the engine. So I don't dare insert any CDs now. With the CDs successfully ejected, the internal player is ignored when I press CD/Sat Radio. It toggles between XM (iPod adapter) and CD-C for the Honda 8-CD changer. That was my solution to my failing CD changer. However, I just removed the Dice iPod adapter because it was killing my battery. How's that for a nice failure after 3 years?
There are definitely worse things! Lemme know if you want to sell it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts