Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm looking to replace the storage door below the radio in the center console in my 2003 accord. The storage door will no longer stay closed and I received a pretty outrageous estimate from the dealer to fix it.

You can see in this picture...it's right in front of the shifter. I can't seem to find a part name or number for it that will help me find the part. :dunno:

If I can find the part online I could do the install myself.

Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can fix it yourself... seriously...

If your plan is to replace it yourself, then surely you can fix it.

I know this is going to be really hard to explain in words without pictures, but once you pull the storage bin out, there is the mechanism on one side of the bin that allows you to open/close the little door. There's this little swinging arm with what looks like a round weight on it, attached to a circular spring. What it probably did was swing out too far and got stuck. I know this makes absolutely no sense, but once you pull it out, you'll know what I'm talking about. What you have to do is futz around with it, until you get the arm into place, and your cubby door will close once again!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Hopefully, Sam's advice will work for you. I looked up the door about a year ago and it was about $100. Sorry, I didn't save a link to the part. But here's a link that might help you remove it. All of it might not apply, but it does show how to get the bin out. As I recall you can't just buy the door - - your have to buy the whole bin. Good luck.

http://www.beaufordbuddy.com/ipod_install_1.htm

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
mines didn't close because the spring on the side came loose. placed that back in place and it works again.. then i removed it and replaced it with a LCD.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Hello all!

I'm looking to replace the storage door below the radio in the center console in my 2003 accord. The storage door will no longer stay closed and I received a pretty outrageous estimate from the dealer to fix it.

You can see in this picture...it's right in front of the shifter. I can't seem to find a part name or number for it that will help me find the part. :dunno:

If I can find the part online I could do the install myself.

Any help would be appreciated :)
When asking for a part number, you need to specify the trim level of your Accord because the pocket door is different in the LX, EX, and EX 6-Speed Manual. But follow the advice above because you can probably fix the door yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

Thanks everyone. We were able to fix the door in about 15 minutes. And I say "we" but my husband is a lot handier than I am. :) Sam was right it was the weight on the panel that had spun backwards. We just needed to fix that and it was good to go!

Also, thank you for the detailed pictures on the ipod install. It helped in making the job go a lot quicker.

We saved $200...which was the dealer's price to replace the entire cubby and install! It wasn't even broken like they insisted! :lmao:

Which drives me crazy because the technician must have taken the cubby out to see that it was broken...he couldn't just move the weight back for me?? I was told with the way it was broken it had to be replaced. What a rip.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Which drives me crazy because the technician must have taken the cubby out to see that it was broken...he couldn't just move the weight back for me?? I was told with the way it was broken it had to be replaced. What a rip.
They probably never took it out, just assumed it was broken.

The pocket door for the EX-V6 with all hardware is $101.81 from hondapartsdeals.com. The various hardware is available individually in case one part of the door breaks. The pocket door for the LX is $64.48 because the outer trim is different. So if you add the dealer markup, and their labor cost, you would be close to $200. Now you know that if it does break, you can obtain the parts and fix it yourself for a lot less.

·
Drivin' Fool
4 Posts
Had the same problem as the OP in my 2005 Honda Accord LX Sedan.

The instructions in the link within Post #3 on this thread were spot on! Took only as much time as a few songs on the radio to fix the problem and have everything back in place. Thanks! :thmsup:

Notes:
- The warning about making sure one doesn't drop the screws should be heeded or you'll be (1) hunting for them in the center console tunnel with a flashlight or (2) diving into your misc screw drawer/container for a screw to replace the one you lost. Suggest using needle-nose pliers to pull the screws (once loosened) before pulling the storage unit out and for placing them back in before tightening.
- Be carefull when removing the plastic border around the shifter or you'll risk snapping it or adding a visible bend mark to the piece. Gently, firmly and evenly pull and not sharply tug at it.
Luckily, I didn't lose any screws or damaged the plastic border.

Since I couldn't find any pictures of the issue/problem itself, here are three that I took:

door mechanism (open) w/ locking arm detached

door mechanism (closed) w/ locking arm detached

door mechanism (closed) w/ locking arm reattached

·
No longer active
702 Posts
This is precisely what happened to me (and I posted about it too). By taking it out and playing around with it, I was able to fix it as well. It was the little white bar attached to the spring in the pics above - it had been knocked off of the correct alignment by a stupid driver who couldn't open his cubby after overstuffing it with with ipod connectors and such (me). Total time to fix? About 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can some post picture again? I have a 2003 Accord and the center console storage door under the Radio doesn't close sometime. I'll probably open it up and remove it to see how I can fix it

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts