Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was intermittently having problems getting my '03 4 cyl automatic trans Accord LX out of park. After doing a little research, I discovered it was probably the brake light switch. I live in a small town with no Honda dealer so I bought a Duralast switch from Autozone. Switch fit fine, comes out of park fine, brake lights work as they should but now my cruise control doesn't work. When I turn the main cc button on and then hit the engage button, the engage light just blinks on for a split second and doesn't stay on and engage cc as it should. I realize this switch not only controls the brake lights but triggers the relay to get it out of park AND disengages the cc when tap (or step on) the brake pedal. Is there a fuse related to this that might be bad? Or, is the Autozone Duralast aftermarket switch possibly the culprit? I'm on a very limited budget and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Doug

·
Mike
779 Posts
Could be the switch, from memory there are two circuits in the switch, one controls the brakes (closed when activated) and the other is the position indicator for cruse control - open when activated. Would not hurt to re-check connections and also the adjustment in case the switch it not fully set when the brake pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You're right Mike......found the problem!

I fiddled around with it again last night and you're right.....it was the adjustment. These switches are adjustable in VERY small increments. Although brake lights worked fine, switch activated solenoid that gets tranny out of park fine......the switch just needed to be adjusted in a little bit farther. Since it wasn't adjusted in quite far enough, the switch was telling the cruise control that the brake was partially depressed so cc would not activate. Thanks Mike, it sure is nice to hear from someone that knows a thing or two about the problem. Everything works fine now. As for the first reply I got telling me, "I doubt that the brake light switch has anything to do with the cruise control"......well, how do you think your cruise control automatically kicks off when you tap on the brake pedal? It must magically detect it. Yes....the brake switch does have something to do with the cc....about 2 minutes worth of research told me that. Thanks again John.

·
Mike
779 Posts
Hi Dough, glad it worked out so easily (and inexpensive) for you.

This also serves as a reminder that just because the brake lights turn on and off that the switch is not necessarily ok. I think two contacts, one opening and the other closing, are for safety so that both must work for the curse control to engage or stay engaged.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I doubt a brake light switch has anything to do with CC.
funny statement. A brake light switch deactivates CC. :thmsup:

With my snap on scanner it's the fastest way to solve CC issues with all cars. Even if the brake lights aren't on, you can go in and see the status. If the switch is active, CC is disengaged.

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
guess i ASSUMED he positioned the plasti-nut on the new switch to achieve the same distance from the "button" as the switch he removed. guess when he said the "switch fit fine", he didn't really mean that it was installed properly and therefore i didn't suspect his new switch was bad. my bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts