Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Changing Low Profile Tire to Increased Aspect Ratio

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Idbiker 
#1 ·
I have a '18 Accord Touring model with the low profile tires (P235/40R19). I love the way they look; but when I bought it, I had no idea of how much shock absorption is supplied by the tires. Not only is the ride bumpy, I'm concerned about hitting potholes and destroying a rim or two. When it comes time to buy a new set, I'm considering upping the aspect ratio (currently 40) to whatever the wheel well will safely tolerate in order to soften the ride some and provide a little extra pothole protection.

Any thoughts? Would the benefits be noticeable with a change to 50-55 aspect ratio.

#4 · (Edited)
Check your local craigslist and Facebook marketplace. I think I've seen 10th gen 17" wheels for as low as $300 for a set of 4 locally.

Reactions: Idbiker
#6 ·
You can, but it's not advised since it changes the overall diameter of the wheel, which changes your speed reading, how the car drives, and MPG.

#8 ·
See this thread. I did this to my Accord and Passport.

#10 ·
You are running 235/40R19.

Do you have an exact size you want to go with? You just mention only the aspect ratio of 50 to 55.

So, do you mean you want to get 235/50R19 or 235/55R19 or something else?

#12 ·
On my 2013 Accord Sport. I got tired of adding air every week to my 18 inch rims so I called Tire Rack and ordered 16 inch steel rims with tires to match the same OD. 26.3 inches IIRC.
The ride over bumpy roads improved immediately and they hold air indefinitely. Also.. no more curb rash.

#13 ·
Also before going too far in this endeavor, check with your tire installer to let them know your intentions. Many shops won’t install tires that exceed 3% up or down of your OEM tire size.

Personally if ride comfort is the goal, not sure you would get much results sticking with your current rims. May be worth as others have noted finding some Honda rims in 17” size on marketplace or craigslist. I’ve already been keeping my eyes peeled for a set of 17s for mine for snows for this coming winter and have gotten all my snow tire rims this way in the past. Just be aware that older aluminum rims are prone to corrosion especially if you’re in the rust belt so aim for rims no more than 5-7 years old if you’re in that area or you may need to refinish the interior rim to prevent air leaks. I learned the hard way….

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.