Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so never mind the fact that my car is currently banged up...I'm trying to look past to happier days!

The more I read about Maintenance Minder, the more confused (or cautious) I get. Mainly because I bought my car through a private party. I trust the previous owner: there are regular oil changes logged in the CarFax and it was always at the Honda dealer the car was originally sold at (so I assume they kept up with Maintenance Minder well).

However, since this car is newly in my hands, I want to kind of have a gauge on where I stand with maintenance. This is leaving me with a few questions:
  • If I remember correctly (will check tonight), the oil was changed ~3k miles and ~10 months ago. Even though it says the oil has 60% life left, I'm assuming it's a good idea to change that sooner-rather-than-later?
  • Is there any way to get the current "status" of the Maintenance Minder? For example, what will my next code be?
  • Can I change my oil early and reset the oil life indicator without screwing up the current status of Maintenance Minder? Likewise, if I continuously change my oil earlier than suggested, will I ever see a Maintenance Minder code?
  • Is there any good way to read past Maintenance Minder to get an idea of what major maintenance will be upcoming? For example, the mechanic I had look over the car before purchasing said that the timing belt should probably be replaced at ~60k miles.
I'm assuming that I can change my oil, reset my oil life indicator, and not screw with Maintenance Minder. But, I am still hesitant on whether or not Maintenance Minder codes will ever appear if I don't let the oil life get down to 15%. And, it would be great if I could look into the future and have an idea of upcoming repairs.

- Sam

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
If you don't go to 15%... you're not going to get the other codes from my understanding. You can go to the Honda website, pull up the manual and look at the suggestions for years and/or mileage though and skip the maintenance minder. There's also things in the manual for the 7th gen by mileage rather than maintenance minder. If you keep resetting, then the codes WILL show the next time you get to 15%.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
This is leaving me with a few questions:
  • If I remember correctly (will check tonight), the oil was changed ~3k miles and ~10 months ago. Even though it says the oil has 60% life left, I'm assuming it's a good idea to change that sooner-rather-than-later?
  • Is there any way to get the current "status" of the Maintenance Minder? For example, what will my next code be?
  • Can I change my oil early and reset the oil life indicator without screwing up the current status of Maintenance Minder? Likewise, if I continuously change my oil earlier than suggested, will I ever see a Maintenance Minder code?
  • Is there any good way to read past Maintenance Minder to get an idea of what major maintenance will be upcoming? For example, the mechanic I had look over the car before purchasing said that the timing belt should probably be replaced at ~60k miles.
I'm assuming that I can change my oil, reset my oil life indicator, and not screw with Maintenance Minder. But, I am still hesitant on whether or not Maintenance Minder codes will ever appear if I don't let the oil life get down to 15%. And, it would be great if I could look into the future and have an idea of upcoming repairs.

- Sam

Answer: Owner's Manual tells you to change the oil when the oil life gets to between 0-15% or after 12 months since the last change, whichever comes first.

Answer: Yes. Hold the reset button for 10 seconds and it will begin flashing and the pending codes service codes will appear. For example "A1".

Answer: No - it will screw it up. If you change your oil early and reset the MM, it will assume that you also did the pending service and it will reset that as well.

Answer: Not that I am aware. There are forum members that have special software that can get more information from the car's computer so perhaps they can chime in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Answer: Owner's Manual tells you to change the oil when the oil life gets to between 0-15% or after 12 months since the last change, whichever comes first.

Answer: Yes. Hold the reset button for 10 seconds and it will begin flashing and the pending codes service codes will appear. For example "A1".

Answer: No - it will screw it up. If you change your oil early and reset the MM, it will assume that you also did the pending service and it will reset that as well.

Answer: Not that I am aware. There are forum members that have special software that can get more information from the car's computer so perhaps they can chime in.
This was hugely helpful, thanks so much! So, when changing the oil early (like I'm about to do) because it's old, I should check the status by holding the reset button down. Then change the oil and either take note of what maintenance I need to be doing in the near future or just do it right away. As soon as I reset the oil reminder, it assumes I've done that Maintenance Minder.

Again assuming: if I consistently change oil early (not that I plan to) and do all of the MM stuff before resetting the oil indicator, the system is smart enough to know that I haven't driven all of those extra miles. In other words, it's not just telling me to replace a timing belt every ~10 oil changes...right?

After my first oil change, I'll do the MM stuff and then hopefully I can wrap my head around it all and take a look at Honda's website to get an idea of what else may be upcoming.

Also, thank you JenX :)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Thinking this through a bit more, I might need to retract something I wrote earlier. I'm not positive the service codes will in fact reset if you reset the MM before they pop up.

As to resetting the MM and seeing the codes.

Turn the key to on without starting the engine. Cycle the odometer reset button until the oil life displays. Press and hold for 10 seconds, and it will display the codes and begin flashing. Press and hold for an additional 5 seconds and the codes will disappear, it will stop flashing and the oil life will set to 100%.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking this through a bit more, I might need to retract something I wrote earlier. I'm not positive the service codes will in fact reset if you reset the MM before they pop up.

As to resetting the MM and seeing the codes.

Turn the key to on without starting the engine. Cycle the odometer reset button until the oil life displays. Press and hold for 10 seconds, and it will display the codes and begin flashing. Press and hold for an additional 5 seconds and the codes will disappear, it will stop flashing and the oil life will set to 100%.
Interesting, I wonder if someone else can chime in here. Either way, the rest of your answers have given me more faith in the system. Glad I can know "where I am" in it before hitting that 15%, since I bought this car used.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
You can reset the counter on the first MM message (the oil) or the entire MM messages (ALL the pending services)... if you do this, then the MM assumes you did all the codes A1, 2, 3, B1 etc. That's the problem with doing things early and resetting. It's not actually checking the status of your transmission fluid etc... it's showing those codes when you're at the appropriate mileage/time. SO if you're resetting everything.... then you're not going to see those codes at the appropriate times. Not a big deal if you're keeping track and doing those things... but let's say you're the typical soccer mom and don't know when to do those things... then it becomes a big deal if the codes are being reset and you're not doing the recommended services other than oil changes.

I'm not a tech... I just schedule service, but I've been told to let people know if they have the A1 for example that this is an oil change and tire rotation... if they're running winter/summer tires, we'll reset and forget, but if they're running all seasons year round they should consider doing the rotation, or make a note that it wasn't done this time because they're not going to see that A1 again in the next service.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can reset the counter on the first MM message (the oil) or the entire MM messages (ALL the pending services)...
Does this mean there are two different ways to reset the counter? One that just resets the oil status and one that resets the oil and MM?

Either way, I think it's smart for me to just do the entire pending MM since this is my new car. That way I know everything that should be checked soon-ish, has been checked. And I know where I stand with everything. Going forward then, I can follow MM closer and maybe even work out my own schedule for routine maintenance.

·
Registered
298 Posts
FYI, Honda recommends the timing belt/water pump be replaced around 100K mileage wise - you could, of course, do it sooner if the need arises, but the MM is not a friend of dealership service advisers - since they can't push unnecessary flushes on you.

I let the MM tell me what is needed, then to what I can myself, and have my mechanic friend to the rest - this way I know what has been completed.

One thing I never understand is that the A1 code - change engine oil - makes no mention of the filter. Only the B1 code says to change the engine oil and filter (amongst some other visual inspections).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI, Honda recommends the timing belt/water pump be replaced around 100K mileage wise - you could, of course, do it sooner if the need arises, but the MM is not a friend of dealership service advisers - since they can't push unnecessary flushes on you.

I let the MM tell me what is needed, then to what I can myself, and have my mechanic friend to the rest - this way I know what has been completed.

One thing I never understand is that the A1 code - change engine oil - makes no mention of the filter. Only the B1 code says to change the engine oil and filter (amongst some other visual inspections).
Wow, great to know I can push off that one major expense looming ahead of me! The timing belt recommendation came from a small mechanic I found close to the seller of the vehicle as a "pre-purchase inspection". I trust what he said, but wouldn't be surprised if he exaggerated to get me back into his shop (if that's the case, then I guess the car looked real good because he only warned me about 15-20% on the rear brake pads and the timing belt at 60k miles). I'll take another look at Honda to see what they recommend, but will probably put that off a bit.

And yea, I saw that. I was just planning on replacing the oil filter every time I changed the oil..couldn't hurt, right? Is that a complete waste of money or good practice?

I'll probably change my oil & filter and rear brake pads on my own sometime after the body repairs are done. Check what MM says and do that stuff as well. Then follow MM as closely as I can from there on out and take it to a mechanic for the more major things like timing belts when the time comes.

Also, go Red Sox!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Honda also recommends changing the brake fluid every three years regardless of the mileage or MM - so, if it hasn't been done yet, it is time for that as well. That is easy to do with two people if you are comfortable with doing it. My local dealer wants $120 for this service.

Good luck with the car - sorry she got damaged so soon...and yes, GO SOX!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honda also recommends changing the brake fluid every three years regardless of the mileage or MM - so, if it hasn't been done yet, it is time for that as well. That is easy to do with two people if you are comfortable with doing it. My local dealer wants $120 for this service.

Good luck with the car - sorry she got damaged so soon...and yes, GO SOX!
I'll see if the CarFax says when it was done (the Honda dealer was pretty good at putting information on there, but it may just say "oil change" and "routine maintenance"). If it doesn't specify, I'll probably just do it so I know what the car's current status is.

My friend needs to replace his front brake pads, so I just proposed a "car maintenance" party. He's new to a lot of it, but his roommate has a lot of stuff that will make the oil change and stuff easier. So it'd be find to spend a Saturday at his place changing each other's oil, brake pads, tire rotation, and whatever other fluids need to go.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sam - sent you a PM for some info you might want.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
Actually... I just asked a master tech and was told that the whole thing resets. Sorry... it takes pressing the button on the dash and holding it in twice... I misunderstood that to mean there were 2 separate resets.

I'm not sure if it's every dealer, but even an A service here both oil and oil filter are changed. Basically no reason not to change the filter when you're putting clean oil in. I don't know that it's necessary, but it's cheap and takes very little time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually... I just asked a master tech and was told that the whole thing resets. Sorry... it takes pressing the button on the dash and holding it in twice... I misunderstood that to mean there were 2 separate resets.

I'm not sure if it's every dealer, but even an A service here both oil and oil filter are changed. Basically no reason not to change the filter when you're putting clean oil in. I don't know that it's necessary, but it's cheap and takes very little time.
Awesome. I think I'm confident with everything now. I can check the MM before the oil is "ready" to go. Change the oil (and filter, despite what it recommends) and do everything else on the MM code. Then I can go until the 15% mark and do it all again.

Thanks again all...this forum has been a huge help!

·
Registered
434 Posts
You're not supposed to change the oil filter every time you change the oil, you change the filter every other oil change.

Timing belt is done no earlier than 105k. At the earliest. I'm at 110k on original timing belt with no issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts