Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2007 Honda Accord V6 SE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my serpentine belt today on the Accord V6. Used the Goodyear Gatorback. Anyone who is thinking of doing this for yourself, do not hesitate to do it. It took me about 15 minutes with no help from anyone, I rented the serpentine belt tool form Autozone but am not even sure I even needed it. If I had used the 14mm wrench I had, I dont think it would have been much harder. I was just really surprised how easy this was to do and this is coming from someone with no experience working with cars. I routed it on the tensioner as the final step instead of the power steering pulley, I think this is the way to go as I tried the PS pulley first and it was too tight a fit. I was getting a bad squell in the morning on cold starts which is the reason I changed the belt. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't diagnose the problem. They recommended I get a new PS pump ($420) and wanted $160 to change the belt. I noticed when I dropped some water on the belt the noise went away for a few days so I knew the problem was something with the belt. If I had listened to the dealer I would have the new PS pump. Started it up and sounds good. Will drive tomorrow to be sure.

·
1st Time Honda Owner
71 Posts
I also changed my belt to the Gatorback belt, At first my mechanic was having a hard time with it and I even tried to help but it was tight as hell. After completing everything else for my tune up we gave it one more shot and this time I used a pipe for leverage and he routed the tensioner as the last step and went in finally. I'm happy with this belt overall.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I also changed my belt to the Gatorback belt, At first my mechanic was having a hard time with it and I even tried to help but it was tight as hell. After completing everything else for my tune up we gave it one more shot and this time I used a pipe for leverage and he routed the tensioner as the last step and went in finally. I'm happy with this belt overall.
No offense but I would find a different mechanic.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
does not sound right. should not need a pipe as the tensioner can only go so far on its range of motion.

·
2007 Honda Accord V6 SE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the pipe helps for leverage. The tool from autozone is just a long bar that gives you better leverage over a short wrench. My tensioner wasn't even that tight, I hardly had to strain to move it, and I'm not a big guy.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,723 Posts
Wow! I took my belt off, and put it back on quite a few times (alone) trying to find the source of a noise. I got so good at it I could do the entire install from the top, in less than 5 minutes. I would think a "mechanic" could do this with his eyes closed. Maybe it was just one of those days.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,723 Posts
This guy is actually good and very fair with his pricing. I have to admit that the belt is very tight. Also it's hard to find an honest mechanic around my parts.
The "honest" part is most important. As long as the job gets done, and done right, it doesn't matter how easy or hard it was for him.

·
1st Time Honda Owner
71 Posts
Wow! I took my belt off, and put it back on quite a few times (alone) trying to find the source of a noise. I got so good at it I could do the entire install from the top, in less than 5 minutes. I would think a "mechanic" could do this with his eyes closed. Maybe it was just one of those days.
Remember we were trying to put on a Gatorback belt which is tight on it's own. Had it been another brand belt i'm sure it would of been much easier. We did compare it to the old belt and it was a tad smaller, Although I had guessed the old one stretched a bit.

·
1st Time Honda Owner
71 Posts
does not sound right. should not need a pipe as the tensioner can only go so far on its range of motion.
The pipe was for leverage as he used a wrench to move the tensioner. If you look up a belt tensioner tool you'll see how long that thing is and it's just to give you leverage which helps.

·
1st Time Honda Owner
71 Posts
The "honest" part is most important. As long as the job gets done, and done right, it doesn't matter how easy or hard it was for him.
Agreed, In south florida it's not easy finding an honest mechanic if your not related to one lol. I took my wifes car (Cobalt) to him for a lower arm bushing replacement and I mentioned that the a/c would cut off from time to time for no apparent reason. He told me if I ever changed the thermostat and I said no. I didn't know chevy somehow integrated the a/c system with that so if the thermostat fails and your engine is at different temps or something the a/c cuts out like a safety feature so it doesn't burn out or keep the engine running hot or something to that affect. While it seemed weird to me I said change it and to this day the a/c has been running perfect. I been meaning to look it up to get knowledge on it but been lazy too lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.