·
MT or death
383 Posts
HurricaneBob showing up here to keep us all safe:

Reactions: grumpypolecat

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
2020 HONDA ACCORD LX, at 360 miles on vehicle traveling at 65 mph in rain on interstate I-81, car just shut down to limp mode, nearly killed me and many others on the highway. I called my dealer and turned the vehicle off then on again, boom, worked perfect. Dealer said take it in there will always be a code error when it goes into LIMP MODE, took it in today, NO ERROR CODES REPORTED, "then they say cannot duplicate the problem" total cya statement, the care has 1300 miles, it will not have 1400 miles on it with my ownership. Reported he problem to NHTSB, they set up a case number on this issue. Also I informed the service guy that the oil had the smell of gas in it, he said " some model will do that" No more honda's for me the thing nearly killed me. I hope NHSTB gets they 1.5 engines recalled fast before someone DIES.
Your welcome, now the self adulation society on this board can get back to talking about how much their exhaust systems that make noise, NHSTB called I think I will trust their judgement over cheerleaders!
First off, it is "YOU'RE" welcome- not "your". Second, it is the NHTSA, not "NHSTB" or "NHTSB". By the way, what the heck is NHSTB? Some made-up organization in your head?

I'll trust literate people, not bored trolls who can't get their lies together.

When you reported your DEATH CAR to your newly created NHSTB, did they tell you to shut up and that there are Hot Pockets in the mini fridge next to the clothes dryer so there is no need for you to come upstairs tonight and disturb weekend dad and biological mommy?

Stay in your basement. Basement safe. Outside bad.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I find fact checking trolls to be surprisingly satisfying... so let's head to the NHTSA's website and investigate these 'deadly' Accords. The current Accord came out in 2018... so let's look at 2018, 2019, and 2020 to see what's going on regarding the complaints and recalls for the 'death trap' Accord:

Here are the results- partial screenshots that show the results of the 2018-20 Accord on their website:

So:
In the first year of this generation- there were two recalls- a fuel pump issue and an issue with the backup camera.
In the second year of this generation- there was a single recall- the fuel pump issue.
In the third year of this generation- there were zero recalls, as Honda had resolved both issues.

Now- look at the number of complaints submitted to the NHTSA: 360 in 2018, 92 in 2019, and just 19 in 2020... 471 in total.

Honda has sold roughly 660,000 Accords between 2018-20. That means that roughly 0.07% of customers had issues that were reported to the NHTSA. That's pretty impressive.

Now- let's look at the first three years of the current generation Fusion's record with the NHTSA... 2013-14-15. Since no one is buying Fusions anymore, I'm guessing that the 2020 data isn't really comparable...

So...
In the first year of this generation, there were 17 recalls. To many to list- but go ahead and check them out here.
In the second year of this generation, there were 16 recalls. Too many to list- but see them here.
In the third year, Ford had only fixed a few of the issues- and there were still 10 recalls. See them here.

Complaints? 1,426 in 2013, 828 in 2014, and 460 in 2015. A total of 2,714. Ford sold 901,000 Fusions between 2013-15 (Sedans sold much better back then). So that means that the Fusion's complaint rate is 0.30%, about 5x higher than the Accord's.

17 recalls for the Fusion in the first year of the generation compared to 2 for the Accord. That's 8.5x higher.

I suppose we do need to celebrate the fact that Ford seems to have finally resolved the safety issues with the Fusion- because after 8 years on the market with minimal changes- they finally fixed the issues that led to the recalls. Unfortunately, no one is buying them and Ford is sending the Fusion to the big car lot in the sky.

Please tell me more about Ford's vastly superior record of quality and safety...

Reactions: RickBlaine

·
Registered
929 Posts
He was clearly going for the NTSB which is still wholly wrong for this application.

·
Registered
772 Posts
In case logic, facts, and statistics don't amuse you...

And with that I think I'm done with this...

Reactions: 2005 6mt

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
419 Posts

I do, however, sympathize with the people this has happened to and am hoping that it won't happen to me ::knocking on my head::..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 10 Speed Automatic and just experienced the same thing. Very angry with Honda. Pulled out of a parking lot while mild rain was coming down, and the check engine light came on while it misfired keeping me around 10mph.

I pulled into the gas station, checked oil etc, turned off the car and back on, perfectly normal.

Going to call the dealership to report tomorrow... I only have 2200 miles on it. Will look into lemon laws.
any luck with Honda, just experienced same problem with our 2019 accord, on interstate, very dangerous situation

·
Registered
24 Posts
any luck with Honda, just experienced same problem with our 2019 accord, on interstate, very dangerous situation
My 2019, 2.0 didn't store the code according to the dealership when it went into limp mode. Was it raining when yours had the problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve joined the club, it seems.

2020 Accord 2.0T Sport
10,600 miles
I was traveling across the state with periods of light and heavy rain. About halfway into my ~280 mile trip I stopped for a red light. When accelerating from the light, my car lost power and the accelerator did not work. I coasted to the side of the road and noticed the check engine light blinking, with no other warning messages. I shut the car off and restarted. No engine light or warning. I was in the middle of nowhere late in the evening so I continued to the destination. With approximately 20 miles to go, I attempted to accelerate around a slower moving vehicle and was met with previous problems, as well as warning messages. Turning off and restarting the car enabled me to drive again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve joined the club, it seems.

2020 Accord 2.0T Sport
10,600 miles
I was traveling across the state with periods of light and heavy rain. About halfway into my ~280 mile trip I stopped for a red light. When accelerating from the light, my car lost power and the accelerator did not work. I coasted to the side of the road and noticed the check engine light blinking, with no other warning messages. I shut the car off and restarted. No engine light or warning. I was in the middle of nowhere late in the evening so I continued to the destination. With approximately 20 miles to go, I attempted to accelerate around a slower moving vehicle and was met with previous problems, as well as warning messages. Turning off and restarting the car enabled me to drive again. View attachment 526451
Yup. hope they fix it. Open your air box, you would have seen water and a soaked air filter. First car I don't want my wife driving in the rain, afraid it will go into limb mode on the highway and get her killed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup. hope they fix it. Open your air box, you would have seen water and a soaked air filter. First car I don't want my wife driving in the rain, afraid it will go into limb mode on the highway and get her killed.
A dealership 4 hours away from me has my car now since none of my warning messages went away. They gave me a (brand new) loaner to get home so at least they’re cool. I wish I would’ve seen this thread before I called the dealership.

·
Elvira
3,402 Posts
A dealership 4 hours away from me has my car now since none of my warning messages went away. They gave me a (brand new) loaner to get home so at least they’re cool. I wish I would’ve seen this thread before I called the dealership.
This is kinda good really. I believe most everyone else said that the messages disappeared or reset or something. Maybe your experience will shed more light on this. Keep us updated ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is kinda good really. I believe most everyone else said that the messages disappeared or reset or something. Maybe your experience will shed more light on this. Keep us updated ?
I definitely will, but I don’t have much faith in finding out legitimately what’s wrong. They were speaking with Honda and they all came to the conclusion that my car needed new injectors, but no one knows why.

I also filed a safety complaint with NHTSA after reading all these comments with the exact behavior. I’ve already had issues with safety systems and a faulty water pump before now so it really bums me out to love my car but not trust it will hold up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also filed a complaint with NHTSA, they were unable to pull codes on mine. A coworker had the same issue they replaced his injectors. Probably because the code is a misfire from water getting into the intake not because the injectors are bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update: Honda doesn’t have fuel injectors so we have no clue when I’ll be able to have my car back. When I spoke with the service advisor, I did ask for them to check the air filter to see if it’s damp. I’m not sure that would be any help after a week has passed but I thought I would mention anyway.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Happened to me 2 days ago. Medium rain but had been for 30 minutes. On the highway went out to pass a truck and it happened. Had seen this thread so I new exactly what it was. But I wanted to check and the air filter paper was soaked. Going to try a aFe pro dry stock filter and see if it does and better. Its mesh not paper...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup, someone needs to buy Honda engineers the Design of Exhaust and Intake systems book. Apparently switching to the turbo engine didn't leave them enough room to mitigate the water issue. Ford had a similar issue with their 2012 EcoBoost F150's with condensation causing stalls and misfires. They fixed it with a wind deflector but most people drilled a hole to fix it. You would think at some point during testing they would have discovered this.

·
Super Moderator
1,694 Posts
On December 24, 2020, Honda released TSB 20-053 for the 2019-2021 Acura RDX (which shares the Accord 2.0T's engine).

SYMPTOM
The MIL is flashing with loss of power.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
Humid air within the intake tract may condense and accumulate excessive moisture during steady driving.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software and replace the intercooler, the intercooler outlet pipe assembly, and the intercooler outlet hose.

I'd be surprised if the same fix doesn't apply to the Accord 2.0T.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yea that needs to work its way over to the Accord..

Reactions: zroger73
181 - 200 of 212 Posts