Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

161 - 180 of 212 Posts

·
BriGuy5
196 Posts
Welp, it happened again last night. Completely dry conditions. Haven't driven in rain in a while, nor washed the car recently. Light spirited driving, but nothing crazy. Made a turn, got up to speed quickly, drove at speed limit, slowed down a bit, and went to make a small pull and the car just triggered limp mode. Limped it back home. As soon as I got back into my garage and put the parking brake on, the blinking CEL turned off immediately. I checked BlueDriver, and same trouble codes (from last time) under Pending this time instead of Confirmed. Not sure this is because the blinking CEL turned off. BlueDriver recommended new spark plugs and ignition coils which seems logical?

Haven't driven today, but I'm sure it's fine. Just strange it happens out of no where, and thank god both times it was pretty convenient (no one around me, and last night, it was late enough I was alone on the roads).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T and it just happened to me in the rain with 1500 miles on the odometer. I went to pass a car on the interstate and gave it almost full throttle because a car was quickly coming up in the fast lane. I heard a thump and then the car went into limp mode with a flashing engine light. I merged onto the shoulder and shut the car off. When I restarted the car everything went back to normal. I just traded in a 2017 Honda Civic because of the engine dilution problem. I didn't have any problems but I traded it in just in case. Now I Googled the symptoms I experienced and sure enough this appears to be a trend. I'm kind of worried about this new 10 speed in the Accord. I had a transmission that went out on an Acura TL Type S with only 2000 miles on the odometer about a decade ago. The reliability of Honda seems to be going down hill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to me on Friday. I have a 2020 sport 2.0 and I’ve had it for not even 3 months.

I’m beyond disappointed and upset because now I don’t trust this car at all. To make matters worse, Honda roadside sent the first tow truck 200 miles away from where I was and was rude throughout the whole process.

What can be done about this? This seems like if there are that many of us this is happening to and it’s been happening since 2018 and they haven’t fixed it that we have a legit lawsuit here. I don’t feel safe in this car anymore.

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
Modify the intake so it does not take in water; sell the car; or sue Honda.

·
Registered
5 Posts
. .

2018 Accord 2.0 Sport 6MT
Bought it on Dec. 27 2017
I put 1400 miles on it since
93 octane after first tank of gas
Was in Economy mode (stays in eco mode for most of my work week) when this happened.

On the way to work this morning, steady acceleration from 60 to 70 in 5th gear I felt the engine stumble for a second kind of like a misfire. Car then started flashing check engine light and went into limp mode. I got it off the highway and stopped. I was near a gas station so I drove to it in limp mode. When I got to the gas station and parked, the check engine light stopped flashing and my car seem to be normal again. I open the hood to check for oil, loose sensors or anything suspicious but everything appeared normal. I was only about 10 minutes from home so I decided to drive it home and take my truck to work instead. No problems on the drive home from work.
Going to bring it to the dealership tomorrow to have them take a look.
Anyone experience this on their new 2018 Accord?
2020 HONDA ACCORD LX, at 360 miles on vehicle traveling at 65 mph in rain on interstate I-81, car just shut down to limp mode, nearly killed me and many others on the highway. I called my dealer and turned the vehicle off then on again, boom, worked perfect. Dealer said take it in there will always be a code error when it goes into LIMP MODE, took it in today, NO ERROR CODES REPORTED, "then they say cannot duplicate the problem" total cya statement, the care has 1300 miles, it will not have 1400 miles on it with my ownership. Reported he problem to NHTSB, they set up a case number on this issue. Also I informed the service guy that the oil had the smell of gas in it, he said " some model will do that" No more honda's for me the thing nearly killed me. I hope NHSTB gets they 1.5 engines recalled fast before someone DIES.

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
2020 HONDA ACCORD LX, at 360 miles on vehicle traveling at 65 mph in rain on interstate I-81, car just shut down to limp mode, nearly killed me and many others on the highway. I called my dealer and turned the vehicle off then on again, boom, worked perfect. Dealer said take it in there will always be a code error when it goes into LIMP MODE, took it in today, NO ERROR CODES REPORTED, "then they say cannot duplicate the problem" total cya statement, the care has 1300 miles, it will not have 1400 miles on it with my ownership. Reported he problem to NHTSB, they set up a case number on this issue. Also I informed the service guy that the oil had the smell of gas in it, he said " some model will do that" No more honda's for me the thing nearly killed me. I hope NHSTB gets they 1.5 engines recalled fast before someone DIES.
In my humble and useless opinion, 65 MPH is too fast on wet roads, but that aside, how does a car losing power "nearly kill you"? How is that different than taking your foot off the accelerator and coasting to a stop?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Um...

Nearly the same thing but I was in the passing lane, nearly got killed, thank GOD nobody else died, bumper to bumper traffic at 65 mph, dealer says no error code even though it went into LIMP MODE, buhhh bye HONDA, these are DEATH MACHINES over a half million were recalled in china but the ole USA probably got their engines, 1.5LT. I will lose my shirt but refuse to lose my LIFE because of known problem they cannot afford to fix. I do not trust the dealer report.

Um...

In my humble and useless opinion, 65 MPH is too fast on wet roads, but that aside, how does a car losing power "nearly kill you"? How is that different than taking your foot off the accelerator and coasting to a stop?
Excuse me but in highway traffic bumper to bumper both lanes you tell me Mr NASCAR how you get out of that mess without causing of being the accident, I did it because I am trained to handle life threatening emergencies. I hope it never happens to you, it will never happen to me again because there is a new FORD in my immediate future. I will keep you posted should I decide to sue Honda for the loss of value in the week I have had this DEATH MACHINE!

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
Excuse me but in highway traffic bumper to bumper both lanes you tell me Mr NASCAR how you get out of that mess without causing of being the accident, I did it because I am trained to handle life threatening emergencies. I hope it never happens to you, it will never happen to me again because there is a new FORD in my immediate future. I will keep you posted should I decide to sue Honda for the loss of value in the week I have had this DEATH MACHINE!
Are you getting a Ford Pinto?

You are doing 65 mph in bumper to bumper traffic, in the rain? Sounds to me that your driving is a DEATH TRAP!

·
Registered
5 Posts
lol, so you died?
I cannot see the humor in a dangerous situation caused by a know problem to Honda, I hope you buy mine, check local
Are you getting a Ford Pinto?
View attachment 523903

You are doing 65 mph in bumper to bumper traffic, in the rain? Sounds to me that your driving is a DEATH TRAP!
I had a dog tree a POLECAT once, the operative word is ONCE!

lol, so you died?
I cannot see the humor in a dangerous situation caused by a know problem to Honda, I hope you buy mine, check local Ford dealers in the palm bay area!

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
I cannot see the humor in a dangerous situation caused by a know problem to Honda, I hope you buy mine, check local
Why do you want RickBlaine to drive your DEATH TRAP? Do you really want to hurt me? Do you really want to make me cry?

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
774 Posts
I cannot see the humor in a dangerous situation caused by a know problem to Honda, I hope you buy mine, check local Ford dealers in the palm bay area!
We get it. You no longer have faith in your Honda. Sell it and move on.

Want to know why they are having a bit of fun at your expense? You joined today... then immediately posted that your Accord nearly killed you- so you are getting rid of it and buying a Ford. Do you know who else joins car forums and immediately make posts talking about how deadly their cars are- and that they are going sell it and buy a different brand? Internet trolls.

I do have some questions and comments though...

Your post says that your car died suddenly with 360 miles on the odometer. You claim that you were horrified because you basically consider that the car is a deathtrap.... but then you said that you waited until the car had 1300 miles on it to take it to the dealer and have them inspect it? So this car- which you think is such a danger to your life and safety- you drove it an additional 940 miles after the DEADLY INTERSTATE shutdown? That doesn't sound like something that someone would do if they were in fear of their life. If my Accord ever made me fear for my safety, I'd likely stop driving it and insist that it be towed to the dealer... the same day. You waited 940 miles and then wonder why there weren't any codes? Well- you drove it for how long after the incident happened? You cycled the engine and electronics how often? Why did you continue to drive it if you were really worried about your life or safety?

Second, If you car suddenly became a death trap on the interstate, your driving might have been a little aggressive. If you follow safe driving practices, you should have been able to put on the hazards and gradually pull the car over to the shoulder... which would have been possible considering you mentioned that the car was in limp mode- not 'won't move' mode. Calmly pull the car to the shoulder with the hazards on, politely waving to the people that are likely giving you a one finger salute, and pull on to the shoulder. It's the exact same scenario that people have to deal with when they have a sudden tire blowout on the freeway. Do you consider every car that suddenly has a tire blow on teh freeway a deathtrap? You say that you were able to 'handle it' because you have some type of specialized training for 'emergencies'? You mean that you once took a driver's ed course? Because when I took a drivers ed course when I was 16, they covered what to do in that sort of situation. If your life was in danger, maybe a revision in driving practices is required. Slowing down on the interstate in the rain shouldn't ever be a 'life threatening' situation. It might be a situation where others give you a one-finger salute, but every driver should be trained at how to pull their car over calmly and carefully if they ever faced a sudden loss of power on the interstate.

Third- Honda sells roughly 275,000 Accords per year. Since the current generation came out, they've sold about 660,000 Accords. Don't you think that if this were a widespread problem- it would be just a bit more newsworthy? Do you think that Honda is capable of hiding the fact that 660,000 of their cars are deathtraps? How many people have died as a result of this sudden loss of power scenario that you've experienced? Know why I ask? My Camry was recalled because four people died after foolish people placed a second set of factory floor mats on top of the first set- resulting in it sliding over the accelerator pedal and causing unintended acceleration. Four people died. Toyota was pressured into recalling more than FIVE MILLION various Toyota models because of the fact that four people died because of doubled floor mats. Think about that for a second. Don't you think that Honda would face a huge amount of pressure to recall these "death trap" Accords if the issue was as bad and widespread as you suggest? Toyota had to recall more than five million cars- and it really wasn't even a design or engineering problem- it was a stupidity problem (on behalf of the owner or the idiot dealer tech that put the second set of floor mats on top of the first). Five million cars recalled because of four deaths- without an actual design or engineering problem.

Again- sell your Honda and enjoy your Ford. But don't make us laugh by saying that your new Ford will be more reliable or less of a deathtrap than your Accord. Good Luck. Just make sure that it's not equipped with Firestone Tires...

Um...

Nearly the same thing but I was in the passing lane, nearly got killed, thank GOD nobody else died, bumper to bumper traffic at 65 mph, dealer says no error code even though it went into LIMP MODE, buhhh bye HONDA, these are DEATH MACHINES over a half million were recalled in china but the ole USA probably got their engines, 1.5LT. I will lose my shirt but refuse to lose my LIFE because of known problem they cannot afford to fix. I do not trust the dealer report.

Um...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just trying to warn others of a serious issue, problem is most forums are taken over by trolls that live on them from their basement. Yes, I am moving on and for a very good reason, I JUST hope one person reads my post and takes a second look before spending their money on a vehicle they believe is reliable. Unfortunately cheerleaders always yell louder than referees, well know fact.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just trying to warn others of a serious issue, problem is most forums are taken over by trolls that live on them from their basement. Yes, I am moving on and for a very good reason, I JUST hope one person reads my post and takes a second look before spending their money on a vehicle they believe is reliable. Unfortunately cheerleaders always yell louder than referees, well know fact.
Thank you for your service to the world. It surely is a better place thanks to your post. I still wonder why you continued to drive your car for another 940 miles if you were so concerned that it was a death trap. Enjoy your Ford.

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
Goodbye, troll!

You don't answer questions, you don't want to "warn others". Just shoot your mouth off with nonsense. 940 miles....yeah OK bud. Maybe get your mileage right on the next forum you infect like a virus?

You got called out and had your rear end handed to you for lying. Deal with it.

As a side note: We get a lot of trolls when Honda rolls out a new generation of vehicle, as well as the mid-cycle refresh. Could be a bored car salesman for a competitor, could be a social media influencer (more likely) hired by a media company awarded a contract from a competitor.

Reactions: Jas5lf

·
Registered
774 Posts
Moving on? In a new Ford? Don't they have to start?
Maybe that's why he thinks that it will be less of a death trap. It's hard to get injured when your car can't leave the driveway.

Me? I'm a two death trap sort of household. I plan on keeping my death trap Accord, despite the fire and brimstone warnings from Mr. Ford. I also still have a 'death by unintended acceleration' Camry parked in the driveway.

It's been nice knowing you all.

On a side note, I figured that it might be interesting to look up the Ford Fusion (Ford's direct competitor to the Accord) to see just how much safer it is compared to the Accord. Here's what I found.... Actually, The Fusion is such a sales success that it- along with most other Ford cars... have been discontinued... Anyway- on to the recalls...

Recall #1: Certain 2014-18 Fusions may experience the steering wheel retaining bolt coming loose... causing the steering wheel to come off while driving. This can lead to, um, catastrophic consequences.
Recall #2: Certain 2013-16 Fusions may experience corrosion on the power steering gear motor bolts- causing the power steering motor to detach and leaving the driver with a sudden loss in power steering while driving. Nothing unsafe about that either...
Recall #3: Certain 2014-16 Fusions may have spontaneous door openings while driving due to faulty door latches. The car's computer doesn't pick up on the error and doesn't always illuminate the door ajar light on the dash either. Tuck and roll... tuck and roll...
Recall #4: Certain 2013-16 Fusions are equipped with faulty transmission bushings that connect to the shifter that may degrade over time. As a result, the driver may think that they put the car in park- but really it might still be in gear. This creates a significant risk for the driver and surrounding vehicles. A car that can run over its own driver....
Recall #5: Certain 2015 Fusions have faulty seat belt pretensioners that, when deployed during an accident, can overheat and cause the seatbelt to fail. This significantly increases the likelihood of serious injury in the event of an accident. Its always nice when your safety equipment can malfunction and increase the chances of severe injury...
Recall #6: Certain 2014-15 Fusions have faulty automatic transmission control modules that may allow the driver to remove the key before securing the vehicle in park- which increases the risk of the vehicle rolling away after the driver leaves the vehicle. If the faulty transmission lever bushings don't result in your own car rolling over you, maybe this problem will.
Recall #7: Certain 2019 Fusion Energi models were produced with exposed high voltage fuses. Exposed high voltage components can result in significant injury or even death. It appears that Ford forgot to install covers over those panels... Oops. Nothing dangerous or deadly like exposed HV components...
Recall #8: Certain 2011-2012 Fusion models can have spontaneous airbag deployments- even when a crash hasn't occurred. Apparently vehicles exposed to long-term heat and high humidity can have experience propellant degradation that can trip the airbags while driving. An airbag that suddenly deploys while driving for no apparent reason... that's probably not dangerous.

Interestingly, Ford is still issuing new recalls for much older Fusion models too. Last year they issued a recall for 2006-2010 Fusion models because they finally admitted that the cars were produced with faulty brake components. Nothing unsafe about that.... How many 2006 Fusions are even still on the road? Five?

Enjoy your Ford. It looks like Ford has a much better reputation regarding their ability to produce safe vehicles. Too bad most of those recalls went far beyond the Fusion nameplate- as Ford uses a lot of the same parts on various models within their lineup... but don't worry- I'm sure that the specific Ford that you buy will be fine...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your welcome, now the self adulation society on this board can get back to talking about how much their exhaust systems that make noise, NHSTB called I think I will trust their judgement over cheerleaders!

161 - 180 of 212 Posts