Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car is a 2004 2 door accord lx 2.4 manual transmission.

The codes are: p0983, p0980, p0977, p0974, p0986, p0970, p0966, p0962.

Anyone have an idea of what to fix?

However, the car drives fine but won't pass texas inspection with engine light on.

My car is a 2004 2 door accord lx 2.4 manual transmission.

However, the car drives fine but won't pass texas inspection with engine light on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For as many errors codes that are shown an electrical check should be made of all clutch and transmission connectors and wiring.

·
Elvira - the car
3,362 Posts
"My car is a 2004 2 door accord lx 2.4 manual transmission.

However, the car drives fine but won't pass texas inspection with engine light on. "

How can shift solenoid DTC codes for automatic transmissions occur if the OP has a manual transmission?

If indeed the OP has an automatic with all these codes there is something wrong common with the solenoids. Low ATF maybe?

If trans operates OK maybe it's a loose ground that intermittently causes all the codes to set then sticks in memory.

Look for something in common with these solenoids.

@Rickyg07 Did you recently replace the ECM from an automatic trans car into your manual transmission car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
"My car is a 2004 2 door accord lx 2.4 manual transmission.

However, the car drives fine but won't pass texas inspection with engine light on. "

How can shift solenoid DTC codes for automatic transmissions occur if the OP has a manual transmission?

If indeed the OP has an automatic with all these codes there is something wrong common with the solenoids. Low ATF maybe?

If trans operates OK maybe it's a loose ground that intermittently causes all the codes to set then sticks in memory.

Look for something in common with these solenoids.

@Rickyg07 Did you recently replace the ECM from an automatic trans car into your manual transmission car?
I bought the car at an auction and don't have previous work history knowledge. It is a manual transmission though. I'l look into the ECM, maybe I'l be able to tell if it's been swapped.
I checked the trans fluid through the fill plug and it was all the way full.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I looked one was a code for the clutch solenoid. I am not sure but maybe the solenoids are a way for the ecm to monitor manual power train functions. All of them were pressure control errors with either high or low control circuits.

·
Registered
224 Posts
OP, are you an used car dealer?
I am asking because auto auction can be very tricky. If you are new and go to any used car auction, they KNOW that you are new, and they WILL take advantage of you and your money. You can/will pay the price by buying junk car.
Most regular car auctions (not high end exotic car auction) get cars that other dealers do not want. Trade ins from new car dealers and Carmax etc. They keep good ones for their sales, and sell off less than desirables to the auctions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not a dealer, I bought it at the monthly local police auto auction, I've had luck before, but you never know what you get.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Sounds like someone put in the wrong ECM/PCM, you need to check what part number is currently installed. Then check it against what should be in there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
You do not need a dealer to reset the codes. You can do it yourself. My guess is they will immediately return as the automatic transmission valves will not respond.

The current ECU part number is 37820-RAA-316, that is the current part #. There are many acceptable part numbers that may be used. There may be others, you need to check what part # is in there now.

37820-RAA-306, 37820-RAA-A01, 37820-RAA-A02, 37820-RAA-A03, 37820-RAA-A04, 37820-RAA-A05, 37820-RAA-A06, 37820-RAA-A07, 37820-RAA-A21, 37820-RAA-A22

·
Elvira - the car
3,362 Posts
Sounds like someone put in the wrong ECM/PCM, you need to check what part number is currently installed. Then check it against what should be in there.

The OP can read the VIN off the OBD and check it against the VIN on the dash-plate. If it's different, the VIN can be decoded by the dealer for transmission type. I haven't found an online decoder that identifies the transmission !

If anyone has, please post it !

@Rickyg07 do you have acces to a reader that shows VIN numbers (not sure maybe they all do)

·
Registered
15 Posts
You do not need a dealer to reset the codes. You can do it yourself. My guess is they will immediately return as the automatic transmission valves will not respond.

Was not referring to the clearing of codes. An authorized dealer ship can change the ecm/pcm settings to match the equipment to turn on and off things needed or not needed. Heck I can clear codes with an old $15 reader but it accomplishes nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The OP can read the VIN off the OBD and check it against the VIN on the dash-plate. If it's different, the VIN can be decoded by the dealer for transmission type. I haven't found an online decoder that identifies the transmission !

If anyone has, please post it !

@Rickyg07 do you have acces to a reader that shows VIN numbers (not sure maybe they all do)
My obd2 reads vin #s but for some reason this vehicle's ecm won't show a vin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was not referring to the clearing of codes. An authorized dealer ship can change the ecm/pcm settings to match the equipment to turn on and off things needed or not needed. Heck I can clear codes with an old $15 reader but it accomplishes nothing.
You're right...tried clearing codes, but the y pop right back.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Ok, that may be true. Cheaper to buy the correct ECM used. They are anywhere from $70 to $100.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like someone swapped the ECU. Go to wreckers and find a manual transmission car to pull ECU from and replace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts