Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make it a long story short, the engine light started shortly after i got into car audio.

I've been driving with these check engine lights for more than an year without any problems until recently. Well with the exception of the transmission going out in summer of 2010.

For the past month or so my car started acting up. Whenever I started the car, the car idles high around little above 1000. Then when I switched gear to D4, it would not recognize the D4 as the D4 light doesn't come up but all the other lights would such as the D3, R, and N. The car will not run drive normally after, as it takes a while for it to speed up. Oh and this problem looks like it's mainly during cold days and nights when temperature is in the 30s or 40s. When this happens, I usually turn the car off and restart. This would fix it for a while. Sometimes I would drive on the road or freeway and suddenly it would not recognize the D4 anymore and it would take the car a long time to speed up.

Anyway the above just started happening recently. The same problems I've had are the high voltage and circuit overload codes.

1999 Honda Accord 4cycl LX
Have had two different aftermarket alternators: DB electrical and DC Power. Currently it has a DB electrical alternator after the stock went out.
DB HO alternator stated 160amp but I highly doubt it does that.
Big 3 w 0 gauge wires
Kinetik HC1400, second one after first one went out. Just bought not too long ago
Kinetik HC800 in rear
Ran about 2000rms, but my car was recently broken into and had my radio, sub, and amp stolen so it's not running anything as i dont have a deck in car right now.

Reason why I have not bothered to get the high volt, overload etc problems done is because I've been told that they are common for Hondas with car audio and was told to leave it alone....might have been a bad idea for me to do that.

Codes using a MS300 ( bought from Amazon last summer and just opened it up)

P1607 - bad ECM? My fuel cap isn't the problem.... I believe this was one of the past codes
P1298 - ELD?
P0420 - prob another one of past problems. I do have an aftermarket exhaust. It's the MagnaFlow complete exhaust. A mechanic told me a code was caused by it touching something but said it's fine and not to worry about the code.

Anyways, I am sure my battery is good. The HC800 is basically new and the HC1400 was bought during the summer.

I did take it back to my transmission shop several weeks ago. He couldnt get the D4 problem to come up (it was during a 50-60 degree day i believe) and ran the codes for me. He said he's not 100% sure but it's not the rebuilt transmission. But he did say that it could be the alternator and that the voltage or something is not being recognized by car.

I was thinking about getting a new alternator. Maybe a Mechman or something reliable. Maybe this may fix it maybe not.

This thread was created to get some inputs from you guys first. I've made a similar thread over at Caraudio forum in the past but it didn't really help.

Replacing the ELD and ECM are my only choices?

EDIT: My check engine light did go off for a while a couple days ago but came back on recently. It was off for a day or two. I don't know why. It has gone off in the past after driving for 20-30 mins but would always come back up.......
Oh and I'm checking out the thread on the P0420 code. Looks troublesome....

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the number 6 fuse is good, i've checked that 2 years ago when this started and checked again today. it is still good.

like i said, i think i really may have to replace those computer parts on the car. will prob get a new alternator and see as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts