Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Turbo lag
3,027 Posts
You drive as much as you need to. It's a car. I've driven 21k miles just this year, and up to 1300miles in one day. Don't worry about it as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

· Registered
2,756 Posts
You drive as much as you need to. It's a car. I've driven 21k miles just this year, and up to 1300miles in one day. Don't worry about it as long as you keep up with the maintenance.
Yep. What he said. It’s no big deal. Honda’s are generally meant to be driven daily and hard! With that being said, you might want to consider an extended warranty if you do road trips a lot and plan to keep the car long term, if you have the 2.0T. With the way Honda reacts to people doing any mods to their 2.0T engine, I’m beginning to wonder if these will hold up well long term. I’m certainly considering it, but I still have quite some time.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
NO, it is not a good idea.

Scotty Kilmer just recently released a video titled "Don't drive your Accord over 25K miles in less than 2 years." The video has over 25K hits on YouTube.

Yep. What he said. It’s no big deal. Honda’s are generally meant to be driven daily and hard! With that being said, you might want to consider an extended warranty if you do road trips a lot and plan to keep the car long term, if you have the 2.0T. With the way Honda reacts to people doing any mods to their 2.0T engine, I’m beginning to wonder if these will hold up well long term. I’m certainly considering it, but I still have quite some time.
Help me out here. I'm confused at what you wrote.

Are you saying that if Honda adapted a policy that allows owner's to modify their engines that the engines will hold up better in the long term?

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Help me out here. I'm confused at what you wrote.

Are you saying that if Honda adapted a policy that allows owner's to modify their engines that the engines will hold up better in the long term?
Nope. I didn’t say that. I had doubts about turbos in general before getting my Accord. Honda’s a great engine maker, but their record wasn’t exactly great in their earlier attempt either. Just read up the problems people had with their turbo on the 1st gen Acura RDX. Now, that was years ago. I obviously believe things have improved enough now that 1) Acura put the turbo back in their most recent RDX and 2) their mainstream Honda brand, especially the Accord, got it. However, the fact that I’ve read enough cases where Honda dealers / headquarter overreact anytime someone with any mods, including minor ones, with threats of voiding their warranty make me wonder, how much more reliable are these engines than the 1G RDX long term? Of course, before Honda soften their policies on letting people mod the 2.0T reasonably without voiding their warranty, I’m not going to do any mods. I’m not going to spend 3-4K on a blown turbo out of warranty either, if I were to keep it long term.

· Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,580 Posts
Yes! It'll be fine. As others have said, just keep up with the maintenance, and consider that your original factory warranty may expire early if you hit the mileage cap before the time cap.
Regardless of whatever Scotty Kilmer or anyone else says, cars were meant to be driven and enjoyed!

· Registered
374 Posts
Get the most out of your car. To me its satisfying to get as much out of my car in miles, and pure enjoyment. Nothing lasts for ever. I didnt buy it to be a collectors item that sits pretty in a garage. So i say enjoy your investment...

· Registered
2020 Honda Accord EXL 2.0
234 Posts
You have the car to drive it. I put close to 30k a year on my car just for my work commute and daily driving. I got 360k out of my 2006 Accord, Granted it was not a turbo charged engine, but cars are made to be driven. I would argue that it is harder on a car just sitting than it is being driven. Like others of have said you just need to keep clean oil in it and all the other maintenance items.

· 19 EX-L 2.0 Obsidian Blue
107 Posts
...However, the fact that I’ve read enough cases where Honda dealers / headquarter overreact anytime someone with any mods, including minor ones, with threats of voiding their warranty make me wonder, how much more reliable are these engines than the 1G RDX long term? Of course, before Honda soften their policies on letting people mod the 2.0T reasonably without voiding their warranty, I’m not going to do any mods. ...
Is there any manufacturer that will honor warranty claims on a customer modified engine?

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Is there any manufacturer that will honor warranty claims on a customer modified engine?
Of course not. Everything that is sold with a warranty has a provision stating that if modified, the warranty is null and void.
The 1st G RDX I referenced in my post were owned by many owners who likely did not modify their cars, many of whom still had faced blown turbos at around 100k miles. Please go to Acurazine.com and see the posts yourself. I would probably like to keep my Accord at least that long, but Honda’s reaction to people who mod their car reminds me of the issues with 1st G RDX turbo, when many had to deal with the problems even without modding - this does not give me confidence in keeping the car long term without extended warranty. Get it? No one is insisting on doing crazy mods and forcing Honda to honor their warranty. Okay?

· Registered
2,154 Posts
Hi, I got the 10th generation Honda Accord EX-L. Right now it has 23K on it. I'm planning to drive another 2.5K for this Thanksgiving. Is it a good idea to drive my car in less than 2 years of span
My 9th gen hit 35k in the first year and did just fine with multiple 3k mile round trips to kansas, as well as an 8k mile trip around the country in 3 weeks. My 1.5 Sport has 19k on it in 11months and I have zero doubt that it could handle a lot more. the break in period is short, you went through that in the first month of ownership.

If anything, you'll get more miles out of a car by driving it a lot than you will by driving it very little. The motor doesn't get worn out and tired from endurance driving. As long as coolant and oil are monitored, long trips are actually better overall. You could theoretically drive the car for 10k straight (plus fuel stops) without any issues, and your oil life would actually be longer for that interval.

Other than the time-span of your warranty getting shorter, there should be no adverse effect from excessive miles in a short time unless you're racing. I completely burned through my 2014 LX warranty by 2.5 years, and don't think my 2019 will make it longer than about 3.5 years before I exceed the ~72k powertrain warranty. Most dealerships offered a lifetime warranty for some parts of the car (this was actually a Honda thing, not just this or that dealership) if you kept up with their maintenance plan.

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
A lot of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has to do with exclusions and disclaimers with what or how manufacturers can and can't deny coverage.
In general though, unless the manufacturer can prove that the issue is caused by doing the "mod" they can't just deny coverage, as a general rule.

· Registered
2,154 Posts
...you might want to consider an extended warranty... if you have the 2.0T.
Unless you mean that someone driving a 2.0 will treat the car differently, there's no reason to suspect that there will be any difference in lifespan between the two motors. If anything, the 2.0 comes equipped with a sturdier powertrain to handle the extra power, so if driven exactly the same, the 2.0 may actually last longer.

With the way Honda reacts to people doing any mods to their 2.0T engine, I’m beginning to wonder if these will hold up well long term.
How Honda reacts to modifications has nothing to do with the car, or the warranty, holding up. How people treat their car with the use of modifications, however, absolutely can affect the longevity of both. Simply put, if you are the first owner of an unmodified car, your warranty is equally safe whether it covers a 1.5T or 2.0T.

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Unless you mean that someone driving a 2.0 will treat the car differently, there's no reason to suspect that there will be any difference in lifespan between the two motors. If anything, the 2.0 comes equipped with a sturdier powertrain to handle the extra power, so if driven exactly the same, the 2.0 may actually last longer.
Point well taken. I guess I do expect people, on average, to drive the 2.0t harder than they do on the 1.5t. But I do know that the 1.5t is no slouch either. I once test drove the CRV with the 1.5t just for kicks and giggles, and that motor, even in the heavier CRV, was a blast to drive! Very premium and nothing like the 1.5 motor it otherwise suggests. All else equal, I’m going to bet that it will be the more trouble free and long lasting the two. The fact that Honda is putting them in the Civic, CRV and most of the Accord tells me that they have extreme confidence in the motor. They’d have to be stupid to do that if it’s anything less than stellar reliability wise. With that said, I still do think that jury is still out for the 2.0t.... obviously I do believe it’s much improved since the old turbo in the RDX, but how well it will hold up over time, I guess time will tell.

How Honda reacts to modifications has nothing to do with the car, or the warranty, holding up. How people treat their car with the use of modifications, however, absolutely can affect the longevity of both. Simply put, if you are the first owner of an unmodified car, your warranty is equally safe whether it covers a 1.5T or 2.0T.
Thanks. Point well taken.

I do wish, keyword, “wish” that Honda will collaborate with legit aftermarket support (with their approval, test etc.) that enhances the car’s performance further down the road that does not void the factory warranty.... chances are slim because they are in the business to sell cars.... but one can always dream lol

· Registered
1,170 Posts
I do wish, keyword, “wish” that Honda will collaborate with legit aftermarket support (with their approval, test etc.) that enhances the car’s performance further down the road that does not void the factory warranty.... chances are slim because they are in the business to sell cars.... and to pass EPA emissions testing and CAFE standards...but one can always dream lol.
Ask VW about their emission problems with the TDI.

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Ask VW about their emission problems with the TDI.
I don’t know much about VW, other than their diesel scandal a while back. As far as meeting emission and CAFE, that’s a problem all manufacturers have to deal with, right?

· Registered
1,170 Posts
I do wish, keyword, “wish” that Honda will collaborate with legit aftermarket support (with their approval, test etc.) that enhances the car’s performance further down the road that does not void the factory warranty.... chances are slim because they are in the business to sell cars.... but one can always dream lol
Your ¨wish¨ is just that, a dream.

While looking up Lemon Laws, I found this...

Abuse or neglect of a vehicle by a consumer can be raised as a defense in a New York New Car Lemon Law case. Examples of abuse might include driving the vehicle at excessively high speeds, performing “neutral drops”, or installation of aftermarket equipment (such as exhaust systems or aftermarket chips or vehicle programming) that is intended to cause the vehicle to exceed specified performance. An obvious example of neglect that can be raised in a New Car Lemon Law case is failure to perform required periodic maintenance such as oil changes. A less obvious example includes the negligent installation of aftermarket equipment such as remote starters, dvd players, and alarm systems, which might cause electrical issues such as parasitic draws upon a battery. Manufacturers can raise this defense in New Car Lemon Law cases, even when their dealership installed the aftermarket part. Dealerships are not considered an agent of the manufacturer in New York.

You will find that Lemon Laws are pretty much the same in all the States.

I know you have your heart set on a manufacture, in this case Honda because you own one, allowing the vehicle owner to modify his vehicle...all I can say is ¨Bless your heart¨, as it will never happen.

· Triangle wins
2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T 6-speed manual
62 Posts
On our 6th Honda, we keep them until they start getting inconvenient to maintain and less fun to own. That point seems to be independent of mileage and more dependent on age - rust, plastic and rubber degradation, etc - at about 12-13 years in the Northeast US. The mileage dependent stuff (clutch, timing belts) we consider as periodic maintenance, and once fixed is like new.
So drive as far as you want and get your money’s worth!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.