Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lame question I know but it's not in the manual......how do I check the AT fluid in my V6? I know the usual way but I just want to make sure there's not something I'm not aware of. TIA

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Surely someone can help me! I have a new Accord, is it checked hot or cold, neutral or parked, running or parked? I've searched the Internet and come up with all kinds of ways to check it. I suspect I'm losing fluid and just want to confirm it before taking it to the dealer. It's a V6 auto. Thanks.

·
Elvira
3,851 Posts
Surely someone can help me! I have a new Accord, is it checked hot or cold, neutral or parked, running or parked? I've searched the Internet and come up with all kinds of ways to check it. I suspect I'm losing fluid and just want to confirm it before taking it to the dealer. It's a V6 auto. Thanks.
Standard procedure as far as I know. haven't seen anything to the contrary.

Trans warmed up after driving in a sane manner, shift into Park slowly through all the positions ending with car in park, parking brake engaged, on a level surface, and engine running. You know the rest.

Miker

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Standard procedure as far as I know. haven't seen anything to the contrary.

Trans warmed up after driving in a sane manner, shift into Park slowly through all the positions ending with car in park, parking brake engaged, on a level surface, and engine running. You know the rest.

Miker
Thanks Miker. That's what I thought as well but it shows almost 3/4" over the top mark when I use that procedure so I assumed there was another method. Oh well, at least I have fluid. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Owner's manual says have dealer check ATF fluid level. There isn't a dipstick to check it with. The thing under the hood that refers to the type of fluid to use is only for filling it, assuming the V-6 is like the I4. I have read somewhere that the proper checking procedure involves access to the bottom of the car and pulling some plugs from the bottom of the ATF pan to check if the level is even with the hole, very similar to checking differential fluid on rear wheel drive cars or manual transmission fluid on some (Gen. 6 in particular) Accords.

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
Owner's manual says have dealer check ATF fluid level. There isn't a dipstick to check it with. The thing under the hood that refers to the type of fluid to use is only for filling it, assuming the V-6 is like the I4. I have read somewhere that the proper checking procedure involves access to the bottom of the car and pulling some plugs from the bottom of the ATF pan to check if the level is even with the hole, very similar to checking differential fluid on rear wheel drive cars or manual transmission fluid on some (Gen. 6 in particular) Accords.
No need to access the bottom of the car for checking the level of transmission fluid for the V6. Not sure of the procedures for a cvt, but the 6AT and 6MT do have a dipstick for checking fluid levels.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
No need to access the bottom of the car for checking the level of transmission fluid for the V6. Not sure of the procedures for a cvt, but the 6AT and 6MT do have a dipstick for checking fluid levels.
Are you sure? I looked at the under-hood pictures for Sedan and Coupe 6 cylinders and there is no mention of a transmission fluid dipstick. I looked under my hood (I4) and the little thing that looks like it could be a dipstick is not. It is most definitely just the fill port for the ATF. You pull it straight up and out to remove. As far as needing to get to the bottom of the car or not, you may be correct. One other thread I read here says the bolt/plug to remove to check the fluid is right under the above-mentioned fill port. I have read the official procedures for the dealer to check the fluid level and it talks about these bolt/plugs, not about a dipstick. Owners manuals for both coupes and sedans, I4 and V-6 say to have the dealer check the fluid level.
Bottom line to me is have the dealer do it, or if you want to remove the bolt, you can do it yourself, but there is no stick underneath the little yellow
plug that has ATF info on it under the hood. I'm sorry but I can't find the instructions on the web for the dealer check procedures.

·
Elvira
3,851 Posts
look what I found in my v6 auto engine bay !!!
So that puts the question about a dipstick being present or not.
sorry for the focus.:thumbsdow

Miker

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
look what I found in my v6 auto engine bay !!!
So that puts the question about a dipstick being present or not.
sorry for the focus.:thumbsdow

Miker
Well then, I'm jealous and I'm gonna complain to Honda that the I4 doesn't have this:thumbsdow:thumbsdow. Still, the owners manual specifies have the dealer check it, for the 6 also, and the drawing doesn't show a dipstick.

Also, as to the procedure, hot seems to be the consensus, but I would question engine running or not. My '04 Odyssey specifies engine off.

·
Elvira
3,851 Posts
Well then, I'm jealous and I'm gonna complain to Honda that the I4 doesn't have this:thumbsdow:thumbsdow. Still, the owners manual specifies have the dealer check it, for the 6 also, and the drawing doesn't show a dipstick.

Also, as to the procedure, hot seems to be the consensus, but I would question engine running or not. My '04 Odyssey specifies engine off.
I agree, the engine on/off question is still in flux for me. I'll try both to see if a difference exists.

As far as the manual stating have the dealer do the level check may be due to the case that they don't want fumble fingers to check because the engine DOES need to be running.:dunno:

Miker

·
Banned
784 Posts
Just be a little creative

I made my own CVT dipstick from a wooden stick when I changed my CVT fluid a week ago. It was not that hard and I did it when the engine was hot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to drag this post out but I spent time at my dealers today having a suspected oil leak diagnosed and all the technicians present agreed this is the way to do my accord.

Park car on level ground, check when hot, in park, engine stopped. You know the rest.

My transmission is way over filled causing me to suspect that that may have been causing my leak. The technician said it was okay being filled almost 3/4" over the top hole, I don't agree but I'll leave it.

·
Southern Jag!
319 Posts
Park car on level ground, check when hot, in park, engine stopped.
Didnt check here, but passed by local dealership earlier today. Tech told me the same thing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Standing at the front of your car with the hood open, look down between the oil filler cap and the upper radiator hose. You will see it down low there.

It's right below the starter motor.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Also....another member here has published links to all-inclusive Honda tech information.

Check this link:

LinkDeny
Which returns the following message:

You are not authorized to view the content on this page.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact the Support Center.

Nice try though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Standing at the front of your car with the hood open, look down between the oil filler cap and the upper radiator hose. You will see it down low there.

It's right below the starter motor.
Still there on the '16s too, in case anyone is wondering.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.