Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is winter here and occasions for correctly washing my car are rare. 2 weekends past I got my car in my stepfather's garage and I gave it some love.

After the initial rinse, I spotted this (see image below).

Paint was chipped, most likely by the tail light itself because the plastic was literally touching the paint. Primer looked to be intact.

Took it to the dealer Monday morning and told them to keep it until it was fixed. I was leaving for Vancouver on Tuesday morning and would only come back Saturday so it did not bother me much not have my car for couple days.

My wife called me on Wednesday to tell me they brought back the car in my driveway and all had been clear through warranty.

It really looks like they only did some touch-up paint over the affected area but it doesn't show much because of the location of the chip. They also positioned the tail light so it won't happen again (I hope). I was pretty sure it would end up only with a touch-up but I still wanted to get the dealer involved because this car been quite a pain in term of amount of times I went back to the dealer for small issues and I wanted to keep the history up to date.

That is my story!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Picture is a wee bit blurry. Would you mind taking it again so we could see where the spot was touched up?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Mine has the same issue in the same place. I am going to take in when it needs it's first service. It's really a manufacturing defect which is covered under the warrantee.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Mine has the same issue in the same place. I am going to take in when it needs it's first service. It's really a manufacturing defect which is covered under the warrantee.
Definition police!

warrantee: One to whom a warranty has been issued (you, the car owner)

warrantor: One whom issues a warranty (Honda)

warranty: A written guarantee (the document that saves you $$$)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Definition police!

warrantee: One to whom a warranty has been issued (you, the car owner)

warrantor: One whom issues a warranty (Honda)

warranty: A written guarantee (the document that saves you $$$)
Thanks for your kind correction and explanation.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Happy to help, Flyboy.

I learn lots from your posts. You are unique in that you owned (still own) a 6th and now a 9th Gen- so you have excellent perspective and add "weight" to arguments about how Hondas perform in the long run. For a car forum- this is very valuable.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Happy to help, Flyboy.

I learn lots from your posts. You are unique in that you owned (still own) a 6th and now a 9th Gen- so you have excellent perspective and add "weight" to arguments about how Hondas perform in the long run. For a car forum- this is very valuable.
:suck:

Jay :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
Had the same issue on head and tail light. Pic is quite clear if you've experienced this. My dealer removed both the front and rear bumper to get the light assemblies out and simply applied touch up to the area and did their best to reassemble with more clearance. They offered to do a full body shop paint job on the front and rear quarters, but I preferred simple touch up. I'd have done it myself, but would've made a mess trying to get behind the light as that's where the majority of the chipping had occurred. My dealer recommended I contact Honda and request a free accessory or something as my brand new car was cosmetically flawed. You don't get what you don't ask for so I made the call and to my surprise Honda offered me a $250 owner loyalty gift card that could only be used at Honda dealers. I used it to buy the hood deflector and SS door sills (not lighted) from College Hills. Now they're in the garage, waiting for a 70 degree day to install for proper 3M tape adhesion :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seeing a few of these threads prompted me to look at my own Accord to see if it had the issue. Much to my chagrin, it did. Paint has rubbed off in three places: On both headlights where the corner meets the metal fender, and on the driver's side taillight (the lower edge of the portion on the trunk). I plan on taking the car to the dealership and asking them to adjust the taillights and give me a bottle of touch up paint (I hadn't gotten around to buying one). I don't think it's worth respraying for such small blemishes, but I definitely want them taken care of.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Happy to help, Flyboy.

I also still own a 6th gen and my current 9th gen. Am I also unique, or are we both now not unique, but two of a kind? Or is there maybe someone else out there in the world who also owns both? :)

By the way, the paint is chipping around my taillights too :(

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Here's mine... a lil bit over an inch of chip and two isolated chips. Coupe, pass side. I still need to call Honda.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I also still own a 6th gen and my current 9th gen. Am I also unique, or are we both now not unique, but two of a kind? Or is there maybe someone else out there in the world who also owns both? :)
You two need to get on match.com:lmao:

If you are "one in a million" but live in China, there are 1,300 just like you.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
"normal"

happened to my own car. called techline - their fix is "repair paint as needed" and increase gap.

I opted to touch up my car as well because, come trade in time if I do trade in, a painted trunk may be spotted by a sharp eye. minor touch up will not.

they will re-spray if you request, full warranty.

I increased the cap using a 1mm washer on one taillight stud. any more an you may have a water leak into the trunk.

welcome to the joys of having a first year model change, hope you have Hondacare :)

also imo it's a great car to have so frequent visits are worth it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picture is a wee bit blurry. Would you mind taking it again so we could see where the spot was touched up?
As much I would like to give you a clearer picture, since the fix already been done and my close-up photography skills did not increase, I'll be forced to decline your request.

·
Registered
901 Posts
"normal"

happened to my own car. called techline - their fix is "repair paint as needed" and increase gap.

I opted to touch up my car as well because, come trade in time if I do trade in, a painted trunk may be spotted by a sharp eye. minor touch up will not.

they will re-spray if you request, full warranty.

I increased the cap using a 1mm washer on one taillight stud. any more an you may have a water leak into the trunk.

welcome to the joys of having a first year model change, hope you have Hondacare :)

also imo it's a great car to have so frequent visits are worth it.
Mine is a 2014, 2nd model year. If you look into this issue Honda has had it going on since 2004. WTF?

·
4,339 Posts
This used to happen on my 2005 Magnum. Every fall when waxing the car I would remove the tail lights and touch up the area. The assys must have wiggled just enough to abrade the paint over time.

Jay

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
As much I would like to give you a clearer picture, since the fix already been done and my close-up photography skills did not increase, I'll be forced to decline your request.
No hard feelings. I checked my car, no issues. Whew, hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I think this is a production problem with Honda. My 2012 has a similar paint flaw right in the corner of the rear tail light. At first I thought my car was repainted. I went to my dealer and examined a 2013 Accord Coupe on the showroom floor and saw it had the same flaw in the same place. I then walked the lot and noticed that 60% of all Accords and Civics had a similar flaw around one the rear tail lights. I could speculate as to the cause, but it wouldn’t change the fact. This paint flaw is common with Hondas.

To me it is not worth having Honda repaint it. A body shop might fix the paint flaw but there is NO WAY a repaint would look as good as the original paint in any other respect. I just bought some touch up paint recently but did not apply it to this flaw, yet. To me, touching it up is the best solution. The lesser of all evils so to speak.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No hard feelings. I checked my car, no issues. Whew, hope it stays that way.
Same here, no signs of chipping, thank goodness. I've been following this post and get paranoid each time another member finds signs of chipping. Spent about 30 minutes in the cold garage last night inspecting my car with a flashlight in the identified areas. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.

·
4,339 Posts
Same here, no signs of chipping, thank goodness. I've been following this post and get paranoid each time another member finds signs of chipping. Spent about 30 minutes in the cold garage last night inspecting my car with a flashlight in the identified areas. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.
Me too! Lol. Luckily I came up clean on all 4 corners.

Jay

1 - 20 of 95 Posts