Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Sport with the direct injection I4 and it makes a chirping or warbling whistle sound. It is not real loud and the pitch doesn't change with increased RPM. It doesn't seem to make the noise when it's cold, needs to run a few miles before it starts. It doesn't make any difference if it is in or out of gear or if the clutch is in or out. It does it if you increase the RPM above idle and it's the same with car parked or in motion.

I first noticed it when I was driving it home from the dealer after I bought the car 3 days ago. I took it to the dealer today and they said the sound seems to be coming from the intake manifold and it's caused by the direct injection, they said "direct injection is kind of funny and makes weird noises" and "don't worry they all do it". I told the service advisor I had driven two other ones before I bought this one and they didn't seem to have the noise. He said I should finish breaking it in and maybe the noise would quit.

Are these guys telling me the truth? that they all do it. I suspect they don't know that at all and just wanted me to go away. Anyway I'll put a few hundred more miles on it (it has about 350 miles on it now) and see what happens.

It is kind of annoying especially since I don't know what it is and the dealer service department doesn't seem at all interested. Any ideas?

There is another topic on this same thing but no one has posted on it for 10 months or so and there was never any resolution posted. I know I can turn the audio up and ignore it but that's only a temporary solution.

·
Registered
901 Posts
you hit a bird. I got one stuck in the engine on my 04 :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got it too. Seems to come and go. Didn't notice it on the test drive. Hopefully goes away after break in.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Now you guys have me wondering about the I4 Sedan I picked up on Wednesday. Didn't notice anything peculiar with the two that were test driven. Will have to pay closer attention when I drive it going forward.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 2014 Sport with the direct injection I4 and it makes a chirping or warbling whistle sound. It is not real loud and the pitch doesn't change with increased RPM. It doesn't seem to make the noise when it's cold, needs to run a few miles before it starts. It doesn't make any difference if it is in or out of gear or if the clutch is in or out. It does it if you increase the RPM above idle and it's the same with car parked or in motion.

I first noticed it when I was driving it home from the dealer after I bought the car 3 days ago. I took it to the dealer today and they said the sound seems to be coming from the intake manifold and it's caused by the direct injection, they said "direct injection is kind of funny and makes weird noises" and "don't worry they all do it". I told the service advisor I had driven two other ones before I bought this one and they didn't seem to have the noise. He said I should finish breaking it in and maybe the noise would quit.

Are these guys telling me the truth? that they all do it. I suspect they don't know that at all and just wanted me to go away. Anyway I'll put a few hundred more miles on it (it has about 350 miles on it now) and see what happens.

It is kind of annoying especially since I don't know what it is and the dealer service department doesn't seem at all interested. Any ideas?

There is another topic on this same thing but no one has posted on it for 10 months or so and there was never any resolution posted. I know I can turn the audio up and ignore it but that's only a temporary solution.

Mine does the same thing. It's the high pressure fuel pump making that noise. Nothing you can do about it except live with it.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Direct injection engines are far noisier than their port injection counterparts. It's just an undesired side effect of a more efficient engine. Extra noise is even more noticeable with the DI and CVT combo as the CVT makes some odd noises of its own :D

If you are really concerned about the noise, ask the dealer to test drive a few other cars with the same specs and see if others sound the same. It's probably nothing, and even if it is, you have a warranty so I wouldn't stress over it if I were you.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the great replies. I am going to accept the noise as a quirk of the direct injection system and continue to enjoy what looks, so far, to be a really good car.

When the dealer's service department told me "they all do It" I must admit a red flag went up immediately, I've been told that before about other vehicles. But it looks like this time it might be true, maybe not "all" but apparently quite a few of these engines do exactly what mine does.

·
Registered
133 Posts
OP, thanks for the post...

noticed a similar noise with my Sport about a month ago... only happens after the car is warmed up a bit when i sit at idle so the engine dips below 1k rpms... doesnt happen right away after a cold start cus the engine hovers around 1.2k rpms for the first few minutes, but happens all the time at idle after the car is warm... goes away the moment i tap the throttle... doesnt bother me too much cus i only hear it in city driving when im at a complete stop, but it's definitely a very noticeable "chirp" or whistling sound coming from the engine...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
love the bird comment lol!

direct injection does have a bit of noise associated with it but noise is best heard in person to judge.

I recall some cars having a squeaking radiator fan though - does your noise happen all the time once it starts

or

only when the cooling fans turn on?

don't let the service writers push you around though. tell them you feel it's abnormal and if they don't let a technician inspect to attempt to duplicate it(understand the noise may need to become more consistent to diagnose though) you will go to a second dealer for a second opinion and if they find something wrong you will be 1) giving a bad survey and also yelping them out and 2) calling Honda for their attitude.

and I'd love to see that writers face so I could lol at them haha :joker:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
OP, thanks for the post...

noticed a similar noise with my Sport about a month ago... only happens after the car is warmed up a bit when i sit at idle so the engine dips below 1k rpms... doesnt happen right away after a cold start cus the engine hovers around 1.2k rpms for the first few minutes, but happens all the time at idle after the car is warm... goes away the moment i tap the throttle... doesnt bother me too much cus i only hear it in city driving when im at a complete stop, but it's definitely a very noticeable "chirp" or whistling sound coming from the engine...
hmm...sounds like the chain mesh of the exhaust a-pipe possibly? I notice every 4 cylinder is very noisy if I tap on the exhaust, including my own, but I do not hear it ever when driving nor had a complaint about it yet. wanna reach down on your car and slap it around and see if it's similar?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
love the bird comment lol!

direct injection does have a bit of noise associated with it but noise is best heard in person to judge.

I recall some cars having a squeaking radiator fan though - does your noise happen all the time once it starts

or

only when the cooling fans turn on?

don't let the service writers push you around though. tell them you feel it's abnormal and if they don't let a technician inspect to attempt to duplicate it(understand the noise may need to become more consistent to diagnose though) you will go to a second dealer for a second opinion and if they find something wrong you will be 1) giving a bad survey and also yelping them out and 2) calling Honda for their attitude.

and I'd love to see that writers face so I could lol at them haha :joker:
Once it warms up it seems to do it any time the engine is above idle but below 3K RPM or so, it isn't loud enough to hear at highway speeds though. Doesn't appear to have anything to do with the fans. Tech at the dealer said it was coming from the intake manifold area but I think it could be coming from the exhaust manifold just as easily. Where is the chain mesh you mentioned? I didn't really like the fuel injection theory in my case because the noise frequency really doesn't change with RPM.

I will definitely consider taking it to a different dealer even though that will be a couple of hundred miles from here. There are two Honda dealers within 50 miles of me but they are both owned by the same big conglomerate and I'm not sure the other one would give me an honest answer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
hmm...sounds like the chain mesh of the exhaust a-pipe possibly? I notice every 4 cylinder is very noisy if I tap on the exhaust, including my own, but I do not hear it ever when driving nor had a complaint about it yet. wanna reach down on your car and slap it around and see if it's similar?
i dont know if thats it, im almost 100% positive the sound is coming from the engine and not from underneath the car... unless you're talking about where the exhaust meets the primary converter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts