Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

421 - 425 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
No one said the 2.0 was difficult, I said it was sort of pointless. I have high horsepower cars. The 2.0 is fine I just don’t think it is very well balanced. IMO the accord is not built to be sporty and to me is better with power that doesn’t overwhelm it vs power at the very top of what it can handle with its basic suspension and tires. I have Lexus sc300 with a stick, Porsche Cayenne with a stick, and CTS-V that I had to just sell as it was getting to be a maintainability issue. I assure u I am a car guy

Accord is large and engaging but basic suspension, basic brakes and basic tires yet an updated engine doesn’t make sense to me.

I wish they made accord SI or type Rs that weren’t Ridiculous. I would have bought the Civic si but I wanted the space the accord offers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Should also be noted I am not knocking anyone for choosing the bigger engine, I typically do.

I needed a daily that didn’t have Maintenance bills as big as the Porsche, size and gas mileage we nice to haves. The small low friction 1.5 is an interesting engine. But the lack of displacement means there is very little compression breaking, the small turbo makes it fairly linear with its power delivery and it sounds like my only early 90s integra from my youth if you squint your ears. I enjoy driving it at 9/10 and still under the speed limit. That kind of stuff makes it great for my 4 mile commute though DC. If it was a fun car I would be inclined to go 2.0 but then I wouldn’t get an accord as a fun car unless I could only have one car.

I think the 1.5t 6speed is one of the best values in cars right now.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T 6 Sp Manual
28 Posts
Should also be noted I am not knocking anyone for choosing the bigger engine, I typically do.

I needed a daily that didn’t have Maintenance bills as big as the Porsche, size and gas mileage we nice to haves. The small low friction 1.5 is an interesting engine. But the lack of displacement means there is very little compression breaking, the small turbo makes it fairly linear with its power delivery and it sounds like my only early 90s integra from my youth if you squint your ears. I enjoy driving it at 9/10 and still under the speed limit. That kind of stuff makes it great for my 4 mile commute though DC. If it was a fun car I would be inclined to go 2.0 but then I wouldn’t get an accord as a fun car unless I could only have one car.
View attachment 519743

I think the 1.5t 6speed is one of the best values in cars right now.
And I am in the 1 car boat. I wanted to inject some fun while still staying reasonable on the fuel economy department and keeping enough space for smaller trips.

Again, choice is what I advocate, and I am glad Honda has both options. I test drove the 1.5, and thought - this car is great, but I want a little more out of it. Test drove the 2.0 and thought, this is the balance of performance to practicality I am looking for.

·
2020 best year
4,121 Posts
I think some people have a good point. If you already have a fun sports car or two, the 1.5T would make more sense, since you can really have fun in something else already, you may as well save some car and gas money in the 1.5T. If the Accord is your only car, then 2.0T can become a more appealing option as you can have some fun in it(just don't hit the gas too hard from a stoplight).

At the end of the day, it comes down to if you just want economy and adequate power, or you are willing to sacrifice some economy for extra power and some fun.

I can't stop laughing at you guys talking about how difficult the 2.0 is to drive with an open diff and all the powerz. I've been driving this car in dry, rain, snow for the last 2 years. I can count on one hand the number of times I have broken traction and the number of times I did it on purpose. This isn't a 400hp turbo EG hatch. If you can't figure out the gas pedal in a 2.0 I fear for anyone driving in your immediate vicinity.
I mean, I have driven cars with way more power than a 2.0T Accord. Some of them still have no problem with traction since they are RWD even if I floor it from a stop. I don't have to be careful with the throttle from a stop in a straight line, I can really have fun in them.

My buddy with 2.5T Mazda 6 has the same sentiment as me. He was really bummed that he can't just punch it hard from a stop and by the time he can really floor it without breaking loose, he is already at the speed limit in the city. He was frustrated enough to try a different set from OEM before the OEM tires are worn out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can't stop laughing at you guys talking about how difficult the 2.0 is to drive with an open diff and all the powerz. I've been driving this car in dry, rain, snow for the last 2 years. I can count on one hand the number of times I have broken traction and the number of times I did it on purpose. This isn't a 400hp turbo EG hatch. If you can't figure out the gas pedal in a 2.0 I fear for anyone driving in your immediate vicinity.
Agreed, although I did break traction once accidentally when I first bought the car. Thermoplastic stop lines get a bit slick in the rain!

421 - 425 of 425 Posts