Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so after a long road trip during the holidays, I noticed my driver side chrome exhaust tip had fallen off my coupe. I contacted my nearest Honda dealer and was told that this is not covered under warranty. After doing some research online, I learned that this is a common problem with the V6. I contacted a different dealer and they indeed replaced my exhaust tip under warranty. Then my driver side speaker blew on my TL. Got this replaced under warranty as well at my nearest Acura dealer. Just thought I'd share for those who may have similar problems. Everytime I'm on the highway, it's amazing how many 2008-2010 Accords I see with no exhaust tip.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hmmm, good to know. I've still got both of mine, but might go and just tell the dealer mine fell off just so I have a spare!:naughty:

·
Electro-Motive
462 Posts
Hmmm, good to know. I've still got both of mine, but might go and just tell the dealer mine fell off just so I have a spare!:naughty:
:thumbsdow or you could just be honest and go put some Loctite on the ones you have and tighten them.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
mine fell off because i hit a low height brick wall thing...it will help by putting some epoxy or thread lock on there

·
Registered
937 Posts
Okay so after a long road trip during the holidays, I noticed my driver side chrome exhaust tip had fallen off my coupe.......

Everytime I'm on the highway, it's amazing how many 2008-2010 Accords I see with no exhaust tip.
It either fell off, or someone stole it. I've heard both stories here. And I believe the reason you don't seem them on a lot of Accords is that it is only provided on certain trim levels.

or you could just be honest and go put some Loctite on the ones you have and tighten them.
Loctite FTW! It really will stop it from "falling off" and will make it much more of a pain in the ass to steal. I put on loctite after I painted the insides of my tips.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was only joking SD70. I'm an honest person. Truth be told, I'd have never even thought to "use" the warranty anyway. I pay for all my stuff, I assure you.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,546 Posts
And while we're on this, as Hittman said, paint the insidie of the tip. It makes the whole rear end look so much more finished. I used high temp gloss so they clean better, but some use Matte finish too. Tape em off and hit em with 2 light coats from a rattle can of bar-b-que gloss and you're done:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Okay so after a long road trip during the holidays, I noticed my driver side chrome exhaust tip had fallen off my coupe. I contacted my nearest Honda dealer and was told that this is not covered under warranty. After doing some research online, I learned that this is a common problem with the V6. I contacted a different dealer and they indeed replaced my exhaust tip under warranty. Then my driver side speaker blew on my TL. Got this replaced under warranty as well at my nearest Acura dealer. Just thought I'd share for those who may have similar problems. Everytime I'm on the highway, it's amazing how many 2008-2010 Accords I see with no exhaust tip.
Not every trim comes with that exhaust tip, I guess the LX-P base model don't have them.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Just so you guys know, when I had a different tip welded onto my I4 08 Coupe I took the stock tip off. Well to my surprise the screw it was being held by rusted to shit. Needless to say I didnt even have to unscrew it, the damn tip fell off since the screw snapped in half.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Red is the tightest, any brand will work. Blue is medium and no clue whats after that.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
And while we're on this, as Hittman said, paint the insidie of the tip. It makes the whole rear end look so much more finished. I used high temp gloss so they clean better, but some use Matte finish too. Tape em off and hit em with 2 light coats from a rattle can of bar-b-que gloss and you're done:
are there any photos of this setup for a v6?

·
Registered
937 Posts
What strength Loctite are you guys using? Link?
Don't get the red #271 - you'll have to heat up the bolt just to get it out. Unless you really don't want that mofo coming off...ever!

As Gosha mentioned, blue #242 is sufficient:

LINK TO LOCTITE SITE HERE

are there any photos of this setup for a v6?
Here's another...I used the leftover epoxy paint from my calipers to do the exhaust tips:

·
Registered
125 Posts
i had to paint the exhaust tip while on the car because while trying to remove them, the bolts were so freakin tight that they just snapped off. i tried pulling and twisting and struggled till i was out of breath and they still didnt come off lol theyll probably decide to come off when im on the highway....

and heres my contribution, matte black.
ultimately just adding to all the black on my car.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,546 Posts
Here's a tip if you are going to paint the tips. Its real easy, but if you have not painted before, it's easy to over spray and get runs if you don't move quickly and put on light coats. But if you mess up, this is the stuff to clean up your mistakes - It's Kleen-Strip "aircraft remover" - spray it on any rattle can paint and in 20 seconds with a rag you have bare metal again. No scraping, it melts the paint and does not mess with the metal whatsoever or the chrome.

So this morning for grins I used my caliper paint and re did my tips in red to match the car - not sure I'll keep it, might be too "ricer" but I'll run around for a week and see how I like it. If I decide to go back, it's a half hour job with this stripper on the bench and back to black...enjoy

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here's a tip if you are going to paint the tips. Its real easy, but if you have not painted before, it's easy to over spray and get runs if you don't move quickly and put on light coats. But if you mess up, this is the stuff to clean up your mistakes - It's Kleen-Strip "aircraft remover" - spray it on any rattle can paint and in 20 seconds with a rag you have bare metal again. No scraping, it melts the paint and does not mess with the metal whatsoever or the chrome.

So this morning for grins I used my caliper paint and re did my tips in red to match the car - not sure I'll keep it, might be too "ricer" but I'll run around for a week and see how I like it. If I decide to go back, it's a half hour job with this stripper on the bench and back to black...enjoy

glen e - kudos to the red tips, this is actually the first & only red coupe i have ever seen that i think is attractive & good looking. good job.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts