Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i really want to get rid of the chrome triming around my car. i wanted to get it paint a polished black but every paint shop i talk to says the paint will end up chipping. has anyone done this to there cars. also what if you put a dark tint strips like a limo tint over the chrome do you think that could work to make it look black?? any ideas or pictures of what ppl have done

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i have seen that accord really does look nice. i would prefer a shiny finish over a matte though. i plan on getting the gloss mugen grill so i want it all matching

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Maybe you want to talk with a tint shop then. I spoke with the guy who did my windows and he said he could do it in “gloss” as well. I think with vinyl you have a ton of options.

I opted not to have him do it because he wanted $200.

IDK, but MAYBE you can spray clear enamel over plastidip to obtain the shine you are looking for?

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Automotive vinyl works too, and it is reversible. I also considered getting mine powder coated.
I didnt think you could powdercoat plastic?

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
I first used TrimBrite black vinyl tape. IT worked really well and looked really clean. It was just really difficult to get around the curves and the tape was not wide enough for the back windows on my coupe. Now I just recently sprayed it with plastidip then did a few layers of clear coat. It did not turn out glossy it was more flat black. It holds up pretty well but I rushed it when i was taking off the newspaper and tape.. so a spot or two show a tiny bit of chrome but not noticable really.

·
In Reverse
662 Posts
Would anyone happen to know how to get that shiny black pillar shinny again? Mine has faded really badly. I don't have a picture but it took a toll with the winter, and now it has become matte, kinda. How can I get it shinny again? Vinyl? Paint?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Black glossy vinyl is the only way to go imo... its cheap, reversible and looks great imo. I did my pillars too and it completes the look imo. Paint is way more expensive, non reversible and may devalue your car. And as Hikaru said, its very prone to chips.

Window tint wont stick to the chrome area but you can get the vinyl transparent smoked tint that people use as head/tail light overlays. But this material is more expensive and harder to work with. I used it to black out my grille though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You could try rubbing the chrome with sandpaper until its a little rough then use a transparent black....the darker you want just do more coats

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
let see pics of how well yours guys turned out

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
I would also love to see more pics. I didn’t realize so many people had done this.

I was also wondering if any of you guys took off the mirrors when doing this?

I am thinking about going with the film at this point, but not sure if I can complete this job being that I have never done something like this

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
man that looks nice i wonder if they have a gloss finish to the vynl

1 - 19 of 19 Posts