Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've just purchased my first Honda, 2005 CL9 Honda Accord 5 speed Auto, and even at full throttle it wont rev past 6100/when VTEC is meant to engage. Can anyone give me an insight into what may be the cause of this?

·
Elvira - the car
3,292 Posts
Hi everyone, I've just purchased my first Honda, 2005 CL9 Honda Accord 5 speed Auto, and even at full throttle it wont rev past 6100/when VTEC is meant to engage. Can anyone give me an insight into what may be the cause of this?
Check your oil level first. Low oil level will render the VTEC inoperable with no or little pressure to engage it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
all filters and fluids are at max marks. its more that the engine wont rev past 6100 rpm.

well the transmission won't rev past 6100 would be more accurate. manually shifting, how high can a stock K24A3 rev?

·
Elvira - the car
3,292 Posts
all filters and fluids are at max marks. its more that the engine wont rev past 6100 rpm.
This is the 2.0 or the 2.4 ?

EDIT: you answered too fast LOL

K24A3 2.4 revs at 6800 VTEC at 6000 Ooops! redline is 7200 peak HP is at 6800

·
Super Moderator
5,998 Posts
VTEC is oil pressure triggered, mechanically, and controlled electronically. If the oil is at the max level, then you have a problem with the VTEC solenoid or the VTEC solenoid gasket clogging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"CL9" sounds fancy. Be careful with all that power.
i thought CL9 was the model code, guess not...

VTEC is oil pressure triggered, mechanically, and controlled electronically. If the oil is at the max level, then you have a problem with the VTEC solenoid or the VTEC solenoid gasket clogging.
How would this stop the engine from revving past 6100 though? flat foot in drive it changes at 6100, holding in gear it hits limiter at about 6200, still no vtec activation.

·
Elvira - the car
3,292 Posts
i thought CL9 was the model code, guess not...
Is this a European / Japan model sold in Europe or Japan ? CL9 is the non-US designation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this a European / Japan model sold in Europe or Japan ? CL9 is the non-US designation.
It's the AUDM CL Accord, CL9 is K24A3 AUDM, CL7 is the JDM CL Accord with a K20, apart from that I have very little idea.
My past 14 years have been primarily driving Nissans. i think its called an Acura TSX in the states.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
If this is your car (7,000 rpm redline on tach), then yes, the automatic should shift at 7,000 rpm.

As for why VTEC is not engaging, this may help:

http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/official-"why-vtec-doesnt-engage"-thread-830163/

These people seem pretty knowledge on this subject. Perhaps it may lead you in the right direction. Best of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If this is your car (7,000 rpm redline on tach), then yes, the automatic should shift at 7,000 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ZD2ia2DpY

As for why VTEC is not engaging, this may help:

http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/official-"why-vtec-doesnt-engage"-thread-830163/

These people seem pretty knowledge on this subject. Perhaps it may lead you in the right direction. Best of luck.
Thats my dash, but mine wont rev past 6100 :( ill have a look in the link and see what i can find. thanks mate :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts