Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 14 Accord is my first new car and I am determined to keep this car as clean as possible. My question is that how do you guys keep the engine bay clean? Wash it with a hose?

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
I use a small hose while my friends keep a look out for Johnny Law, Camry owners, and communists.

...but not in winter time as frostbite can hurt.

Source: movie Red Dawn

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
About 3 times a day, more if I am drinking coffee or lots of water in the summertime.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is a good instructional video for the most part, however it is missing 2 important steps OMHO.

I always cover the alternator with plastic bag to minimize the risk of damaging it, and go really easy on the shining agents at the end and make sure to wipe off the excess. That spray tends to attract dirt easily and gets really dirty very soon after if not properly wiped off.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Whatever you do, don't spray that armor all junk on it. Just collects dust like a mofo.

I just go to a pay-and-spray place, wait a while for everything to cool down, then spray it down with the water set to "engine degreaser". I don't use anything more than the low pressure spray (trigger = off) and I avoid the alternator. Then I rinse with soft water and it's good to go. It gets my engine bay 80% clean...which is good enough for me. When I drive off afterwards, the engine bay looks like it's smoking :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
As a detailer for plastic, once the bay is clean, I love using 303 Aerospace Protectant. Awesome finish and repulse dust and dirt.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Up here in New England, I just use regular car soap, free flowing water from a garden hose and a rag, followed by idling the car to dry. Then get up any excess water with a towel, followed by a good spraying of tire shine. It adheres to all of the non coated metal fasteners and keeps them from rusting, esp during the winter. Dust washes off......rust doesn't!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
After how many miles give or take, would one consider doing this?...my car is under 500 miles
I do it every few months it seems when the engine bay has enough dust and whatnot to make it worth it. It doesn't take very long as long as you're not trying to get it perfect with a toothbrush.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts