Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short i paintet my rear bumper cover in a buddys gerage and now majority of the car feels rough and has excess clear overspray on the windows and the body of the car.
what is the best choice for bringing the shine back out of my car :dunno:
buddy said use a product called clear cut and another said just polish buff and wax. Any suggestions?
-Sam

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
You'll probably want to polish it. It'll smooth out the bumpy paint again. That's probably what he meant by buff it. Use a polishing compound and a lot of time by hand, or with the use of a machine to polish it until it's smooth.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
Listen to Aviography.........clay bar first. A small strip mall here was remodeling the exterior and hundreds of cars got paint on them from overspray. I clayed ten of them with no problems whatsoever (other than it whipped my ass). Wax or sealant must be applied when done. Pep Boys has a clay kit (Mother's/ Meguiar's/Claymagic) as does Wal Mart or any auto parts store. Cut it in 3 or four pieces....if you drop one on the ground, which is likely, throw it away and go to the next piece. Lots of videos online showing how to do it.

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxAesk4Po4

Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opfK408uIxM

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
+1 on ClayBar. Wash & wax after.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
No, listen to RTexasF, while I know about the clay bar before I joined this forum, I learned many of the rest of the automotive paint maintenance and tips from him!

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Yes clay bar! I forgot about that, I guess I figured the overspray was more than it probably is, ha.

·
13,917 Posts
The longer you wait the tougher it will be. It's likely that it will work but not a guarantee. It's possible that it still may require a machine polish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can purchase clay bars with different levels of abrasiveness. If a mild formula is ineffective then move on to one that is more abrasive. Definitely try this method first as others have suggested.

·
6,322 Posts
Clay Magic makes a "red" bar that is more aggresive. However it will most likely leave microscratches behind requiring a polish afterwards. Then wax/sealant. Probably, will need to order the above online.

·
NHBP AV6 6SPD coupe
631 Posts
+1 on clay magic red. its very agressive and will mar hell out of paint. after you gona need to polish the car. try megs clay first, if your car wax sealed at all before it it will help.
sometimes decon kits will help.
when i tried to spray my hood i got some clear on where i didnt want it, clayed it and came off fine. where are you located?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quick wax lube!
sadly i still havent fixed the problem. Tomorrow ill go and grab a course clay bar and try that out. it works wonders on the trucks at work with black overspray.
called a detail shop and he quoted me "couple hundred bucks" and also stated that his method would be thinner...does anyone else think thinner would just end in sobs and horror?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Located in central Ky btw

·
Also available in sober.
499 Posts

·
13,917 Posts
quick wax lube!
sadly i still havent fixed the problem. Tomorrow ill go and grab a course clay bar and try that out. it works wonders on the trucks at work with black overspray.
called a detail shop and he quoted me "couple hundred bucks" and also stated that his method would be thinner...does anyone else think thinner would just end in sobs and horror?
Paint thinner would work but the clean up/prep of the painted surfaces would be serious work after wards. Plastic pieces may not fare so well either. I've never had to use coarse clay to remove overspray......not yet anyway.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My detailer is currently working on my car and both of us didn't notice my car was covered with overspray. He spent over 6 hours just claying my car to remove it off. I'm not sure if he finished it up yet.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Clay really does an amazing job with things like that. Most people don't even know it exists though........

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright. so majority of the car was clayed down by me with Clay magic medium clay bar and hit a second time with a fine clay bar by clay magic. then the car was buffed with mcguiers polishing compound with an orbital buffer. The sides windows and trunk turned out fantasticlly! Although the hood looks awful. it is showing the sort of orange peel effect even after buffing but is as slick as glass. any suggestions? and would pics be necessary?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts