Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I really hope someone can help because I have searched the Internet with no luck.

I have a 2004, 4 cylinder, exl accord. Love the thing but just recently when I turn on my headlights the climate control lights do not come on and the radio does not dim to night time settings. The dash lights,ie the speedometer, tack and whatnot seems to work as it should and is successfully controlled by the dimmer switch.

My gut tells me that something in the headlight switch is not telling the effected lights that the headlights are on. I am very hesitant to remove and replace anything until I have a better idea. Again any help would be much appreciated.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
The '03/04 radios have had issues with their radios. Possibly the climate control bulbs have burned out or need resoldered? :dunno: Here is a pic of the circuit boards I took when I was swapping my 6-disc radio to the OEM navigation unit and had to change the bulb caps over to make the navi unit orange to match my coupe:

Close-up of one of the bulbs (next to the blue bulb cap)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thanks for the reply. Here is some more info that might help solve the case! I added two pictures. The first picture is with the headlights off and the second is with the headlights on.

In the headlights off picture the dash (correctly bright), radio screen (correctly bright), radio buttons (off), Auto button on the climate control (bright green I think this is correct) all other climate control lights (Off not sure if this is correct) the hazard button (not lit).

The second picture is with the headlights on and the result is dash (correct dim), radio screen (same brightness as before which is too bright), radio buttons (off), Auto button on the climate control (bright green I think this is too bright) all other climate control lights (Off, incorrect) the hazard button (correctly lit).

The hazard, working correctly is interesting to me. I never really noticed that before these photos.

Thanks for all to checking this out.

Attachments

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Your radio control buttons look lit to me in both pics... :dunno: I can see the whitish-green glow of the Sedan version (coupe is orange).

The bright green LED for the Auto button is correct. The climate control indicator lights are green and orange and are only one brightness.

The hazard switch is correct (lit when headlights are on)

You're right, though, the climate control bulbs are definitely not receiving signal and/or are burned out. In the pic I posted above, d'you see the white ribbon cable wiring connecting the upper radio circuit board to the lower (climate control) circuit board? I work in IT and have custom built computers before as a hobby. Those ribbon cables can be known to go bad - this may be your issue. I hate to say it, but the only way to truly know would be to take out your radio, take it apart, and diagnose if those wires are receiving signal with a meter. If it is, then your bulbs are probably burned out and/or need resoldered. If it isn't - you'd have to find a way to replace that ribbon cable... either way, it stinks...

The radio back lighting I believe stays that bright - it doesn't dim with the instrument cluster / radio buttons. Here is a pic from before my Navi upgrade that has my EX-L V6 coupe 6-Disc Changer at night:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sticking with this one. The radio lights are not on. They only look that way due to the lighting in my garage. Also the radio screen is suppose to dim with the headlights being on. The only way I know this is because now it is almost blinding at night. So much that I actually turn off the radio screen by holding down the CD Aux button for 5 seconds. I am more and more convinced that it must have something to do with the radio as this is where the problem starts. If I were to replace the radio, does the climate control part come with it? Or could I just replace the motherboard for a less expensive fix? If anyone had an electrical diagram of this part of the car that would be helpful. Thanks for the continued ideas. BTW, I like the orange lights in the coupe.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Yes, no offense, but I would never be able to stand the whitish-green lights of the sedan :tongue: The orange is very warm and welcoming.

Yes, if you bought a new radio it would come as the entire unit (radio / climate control). I actually have my EX-L V6 coupe radio still - that is actually converted right now into the Sedan's whitish-green illumination because I was originally using a navigation unit from a Sedan so I took them both apart and swapped the bulb caps (put the orange into the navi and the whitish-green into the 6-Disc). But I don't know how much you're looking to spend... our radios are not cheap because they aren't made anymore. Mine is the 7BY2 model which is the best one (non-Navi) that they make. If you google it, you'll see they're going for over $350 (more expensive than any other one because they only came on the EX-L V6 Coupes)

You're never going to be able to find just the circuit boards, though, without buying an entire replacement radio and gutting it. In which case, you might as well just use the radio that you buy lol

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
His problem is with the radio block board. The bulbs on the faceplate are LED and soldered and it would be extremely hard for all of them to burn off. There's a specific resistor that controls the illumination to ALL the buttons. The fact that all of yours are off makes me believe this is your issue. Its a little late but tomorrow I'll point you into a thread that the TSX guys have on a similar issue they encounter.

The issue where certain button groups work while others don't, is a different resistor group.

The LCD backlight problem is also a different fuse.

So all in all you have 3 different problems with each having a different solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks for the insight. It sound complicated but if I could replace one at a time it might just be doable. I am eager to hear what you have to say next. Thanks.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
eBay - 2003-2007 Honda Accord 6-Disc CD changer BLOCK ONLY - $250.00 / 120 day warranty / Claims to fix LCD/Lights Display Problem / Fully tested

eBay - 2003-2007 Honda Accord Block REPAIR - $179.00 / 90 day warranty / You ship just the ruined radio block to them and keep the rest of your unit (for climate control function)
This is the same seller I bought my radio block from. If buying from him check your radio faceplate code. It's a 4 letter/number combination that is at the lower right corner of the radio LCD.

Word of advice: I bought a re manufactured radio block from this same seller for 169. The illumination problem was worse than my own radio. He has a good return policy but in my case it was not possible for me to send it back. So keep that in mind. I'm sure since the first link is a new board, it shouldn't have problems. Just make sure to check if your faceplate code matches.

Now to the problems metioned.

The radio block has a circuit board inside which is responsible for controlling the illumination to each of the button groups in the radio.

- These group of resistors tend to snap off the board causing partial sections of the radio buttons not to light up.

- There is a transistor that blows and causes all of the button lights not to work (This seems to me the likely cause of your problem). The TSX guys located and swapped it with good results

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-general-car-topics/64158-console-lights-fix.html

- Your third option to fix this if you dont have soldering skills or a friend that can do it for you, is to buy a new radio board replacement from a honda parts website. You have to find the part number specific to your radio. Calling the sites is usually the best option since there are no parts catalog for it. They will charge you 125 for a core deposit, when you send your old board, you get it back. Total will be around the 80-100 range when you get your money back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Climate control lights not coming on

Mine is a 2003 Honda Accord LX V6 sedan with a 6 CD changer. There is a number 7BCO in the lower right hand corner of the LED lense. No NAVI, or climate control.

The radio, CD changer, and LED all work fine. The HVAC fan control and temperature control knobs, radio power knob, and rear defogger button, and hazard button do not illuminate.

I had the car at the dealer. They told me it is the faceplate. The ebay seller above, said it is the radio block. I am confused and do not want to waste my money.

·
Mike
779 Posts
Dealers never repair the units and would unlikely know what part is faulty. If you don't want to spend any money at this stage, why not remove the head unit and check the connections, the Radio/CD unit unplugs from the main face plate, sometimes unplugging everything and reinstalling it fixes some problems.

FYI here is a link to the Radio plug connections. /Honda/HondaPWM.html

As suggested above it's more likely a resistor in the Radio unit as the Radio PCB incorporates Voltage regulators, the LED and brightness logic along with Back light control, and LCD display data.

You could also check the two pins in the main radio plug for Lights on and PWM control, Pins A9 and A19, PWM brightness control voltage will show on a digital meter set to the 12v AC range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this issue on my 2004 Accord. A couple years ago I removed the resistor and bridged it with some solder. If fixed my radio display but the climate controls still don't light up.

I purchased a repair service from that seller on ebay which was $134 plus shipping costs. They called back to offer a brand new block for a pretty decent price. So they are shipping it out. I guess a brand new one would be better than a re-manufactured one.

I will post again with my results.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I had this issue on my 2004 Accord. A couple years ago I removed the resistor and bridged it with some solder. If fixed my radio display but the climate controls still don't light up.

I purchased a repair service from that seller on ebay which was $134 plus shipping costs. They called back to offer a brand new block for a pretty decent price. So they are shipping it out. I guess a brand new one would be better than a re-manufactured one.

I will post again with my results.
I find their add confusing. In one spot it says:

PLEASE NOTE: When sending your radio to us, please don't send the WHOLE UNIT. It will cost you extra to ship it, and we don't need to test the CD block. Plus you might need your climate controls. All we need is the block as shown below:
And then right below it is the following statement:

When we repair your unit, we put a BRAND NEW CD Mechanism inside, that looks just like this:
The first statement says they don't need to test the block and all they need is the block. Those two things seem contradictory. The second statement says you get a new block. Unless the mechanism is something that gets installed into the block.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is confusing but after reading it I knew exactly what they meant. They meant don't ship the entire front panel. They also suggest that you give them a call before purchasing to verify they can fix it. I called and it help remove any confusion.

They also have a website where you can purchase new and re-manufactured radios.

I received the new block in 2 days and installed the new one last night. It works! One thing to keep in mind is that you cannot really see the climate control buttons light up unless it is dark out. I did it in the early evening and thought it wasn't working but went back out when it was dark and they were all lit up.

When they ship the block they include a form and you can call them back and they will send a return shipping label to return the old block to them. In return they extend your warranty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Now to the problems metioned.

The radio block has a circuit board inside which is responsible for controlling the illumination to each of the button groups in the radio.

- These group of resistors tend to snap off the board causing partial sections of the radio buttons not to light up.
Sorry to kick up an old thread, did anyone figure out the fix for the issue of the resistors snapping off the board causing illumination on sections of the radio not to work (see above)? Can the broken resistors be replaced or the broken pieces be bridged with a bead of solder/bypass wire similar to the fix for the LCD screen? Just about everything I found about so far about fixing these has been about the LCD screen repair.

My LCD has no issues, however most of the lights in the center of my radio/hvac controls are out and its very annoying at night (showing circled in blue in the pic attachment). I have to use the "braille method" to try to find the correct buttons at night. My whole radio/havc controls work perfectly otherwise.. at least for now.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would be forever grateful. I've love to just replace the unit (6 disc), but even the used ones are big $$$ even for these aging 7th gens. That and I've seen horror stories about the board repair/exchanging services so I'm Leary of them.

Thanks!

Edit: forgot to mention.. all these lights used to work with no problem. Then the problematic section started to work intermittently, then not at all. It's been off since. Not sure if all the potholes around here have helped.

Attachments

·
Cruising in Montana
4,185 Posts
The resistors don't break, they just fall off due to bad solder joints. So, in the unlikely event they're still in your radio, they can be re-soldered to the board.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The resistors don't break, they just fall off due to bad solder joints. So, in the unlikely event they're still in your radio, they can be re-soldered to the board.
Gotcha, thank you. I'm going to crazy it open in a few days and see what's left. Fingers crossed.

Assuming they're Missing In Action, anyone know of replacements or at least the specs?

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK I cracked mine open last night and took at the look at the radio board. Sure enough the resistors on the board had cracked/loose solder joints and one of the resistors was completely missing. There were also heat marks on the back of the board, opposite of where the resistors sit.

It took a while but I was able to re-solder all the bad solder joints I could, with a small, fin-tipped soldering iron. In some cases I had to push down the resistors gently with a small tool while flowing the solder to get the resistors back in place, then added more solder. These resistors are tiny and re-soldering them to the board is very tricky and nerve racking as there are other components and "lanes" on the board that are very close. If trying this you must be very careful not to accidentally bridge nearby components with solder. A lot of detail you can see in my pics you cannot see with the naked eye, these things are very small.. I was Not able to get a super good bond of the solder on every resistor so I wasn't sure if this was going to work.

However, I reassembled the whole unit and tested and it worked!!! I was only missing 1 or 2 lights in the number buttons just under the LCD, assumingly due to the missing resistor. Though, I looked for a minute around the carpet area underneath the radio inside the console/dash and found the dang thing. So tiny, its not much bigger than a crumb! I re-soldered the missing resistor back on to the board and now again I have a fully lit and functional radio and HVAC unit. Time will tell how long it actually lasts like this.

These pics specifically for for a 7bk1 (39175-SDA-L110)6 disc stereo.

PS: I used these two videos to help remove and disassemble the unit, I did not have the LCD back-light problem.

Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Forgot to attach pic of finished soldering, not exactly perfect but it works.

Also, the before (borrowed from Honda4Life's thread) and after pic.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts