Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Clock issue beginning January 1, 2022

87K views 142 replies 87 participants last post by  WiiMaster 
#1 ·
Just noticed today my clock jumped ahead and hour and when I go to clock adjustment to change it, it doesnt change after i adjust the time. Tried turning the auto timezone and auto dst off and on made no difference. I drive a 2011 exl coupe with navi. Anyone else have the same thing happen?

#42 ·
I think it may be related to this bug in gpsd that had to do with how leap years are calculated which made some clocks roll back to March 2020 last year in October

This is what my GPS information showed today, exactly 1024 weeks off, correct time on gps signal but (assuming dst time).
Vehicle Plant Automotive design Car Personal luxury car

Also, my UK dealer said a service advisory was issued today, they expect it to be fixed by August and automatically, blamed the whole thing on GPS sattelites and not a software issue, and no specific help for now. Called Honda contacts centre and they just hung up and forwarded me to the survey even before picking up the call.

#44 ·
There is no correct procedure, other than patience. You will not be able to “fix” it. It’s a software writing/development faux pas that will have to be repaired by Honda/Alpine programmers. There are numerous posts here and on other forums written by software engineers explaining what has happened, and what Honda has responded with.

I think it would be appropriate for the moderators to step in and ensure ALL of the posts referencing this issue don’t motivate someone to try something ill advised and “brick” their head unit.

#46 ·
I disconnected the battery at 12.45 today and reconnected it at exactly 1pm. As I reconnected, my wife switched on the ignition, and lo and behold, the clock showed 1.00, and carried on working. It may be a few seconds out, but that's better than the previous situation where it was ~20 minutes ahead after my initial trial.

However, I have a feeling that it may be 12 hours behind, as I was initially using the 24hr clock, but only time will tell (excuse pun!!).

I accept that this is not a permanent fix, and trust that no harm will have been done to my system, as a battery disconnect can obviously occur for many other reasons

I also contacted Honda in Doncaster who confirmed that the issue occurred due to a GPS update, and arranged to notify me when Honda have found a solution to the problem. I live in hope!!

I feel that it would be most useful if a statement to that effect could be put on the forum as some kind of special message, to inform the myriad of people who have this problem, and save time searching for a possible solution.

#50 ·
From Honda: Good morning, Thank you for contacting American Honda. We are aware of the issue. Our engineering team is currently investigating to determine if a counter measure can be developed. They have advised us that except for the date and time, the navi will continue to function normally and that the issue will resolve itself when the date range moves into August of this year. They are currently looking into more expedient solutions. If/when an update becomes available owners will be notified via standard mail, similarly to how we would notify drivers of a recall. ^WD

Seems like there is a bug in the navigation system, the clocks on my 2010 Accord and many other Honda models have advanced by one hour today (2022-JAN-02).

CRV: Clock Fault (Year 2022)

Pilot: 2011 EX-L w/NAV Clock Issue

Ridgeline: handsfreelink and navi problems

Just like the owners in those posts, I also tried manually set the time, but it jumps right back to 12:00 on the Navigation UI after I hit "DONE", and the smaller clock on the radio is nolonger in sync with the navigation system.

And also the GPS status on the navigation is not stable (keep going from no fix (No GPS symbol on map) -> 2d fix (a dimond shape next to the word GPS) -> 3d fix (a box next to the word GPS) -> no fix) even tho I am driving in a low density zone with good visibiliy to the sky.

I wish Honda would release a fix.

View attachment 536911
The clock on the Navigation UI is stuck at 1200. And the clock on the radio is one hour ahead.

View attachment 536910
And today's date became 2002 Jan 1 in the Calendar
Good morning, Thank you for contacting American Honda. We are aware of the issue. Our engineering team is currently investigating to determine if a counter measure can be developed. They have advised us that except for the date and time, the navi will continue to function normally and that the issue will resolve itself when the date range moves into August of this year. They are currently looking into more expedient solutions. If/when an update becomes available owners will be notified via standard mail, similarly to how we would notify drivers of a recall. ^WD

#52 ·
wow I just realized that this happened to my 2007 4cyl 7th gen navi accord 4 door. Didn't even ask why it was off an hour and now I am seeing this. Oh boy, what a joke.

However on my 08 v6/6 I just checked and it's still correct. Although I cannot start the car as I have no manifold or throttle body so hopefully it doesn't incorrectly correct itself lol. Or I'll be cheezed

#54 ·
I've created this as a new post in order to alleviate frustration caused by trawling through the numerous posts on this issue, not knowing how else to draw attention to it. I appreciate that many people may just choose to live with the 1 hour error until it get's sorted, but here is a temporary workaround for those who find it annoying - but do please note my comments at the end of this article.

Incidentally having spoken to Honda in Doncaster UK, who advise me that the issue of the clock showing one hour ahead of time and the date being incorrect was caused by a GPS update, and that they will phone me when Honda have worked out what can be done about the problem. I have no reason to distrust this advice. I note that others have also received similar comments from Honda.

In the meantime, based on a tip from another forum, I came up with the following, which I must stress apparently worked OK for me, but for which I offer no guarantee of success or that no unseen damage may have occurred in using it, doubtful as it may seem.

Basically, it merely involves disconnecting the battery, with the ignition off, then reconnecting at exactly 1pm followed immediately by switching on the ignition. This results in the clock on the radio displaying 1.00. Delaying until later than 1pm will result in the clock starting from 1.00 regardless, so do ensure you do it at 1.00. After this you will need to re-insert the radio code, and set the language and units required for the GPS ie metric or imperial.

There is a downside which may prevent you from doing this, in that after the process the clock is in 24 hour mode, and therefore will be 12 hours out eg 7.00am displays 19.00!! At least that was what I found, and subsequently attempting to reset the mode in settings would not work.

It is quite likely that performing the procedure at 1.00am would correct the issue, but I have not yet stayed up that late to try it.!

Having read through this you may well conclude that it's easier to remember the clock is just 1 hour ahead, and not bother!!

Thanks anyway for reading if you've got this far.

#56 ·
FWIW, after reading this thread, I checked my portable Garmin Nuvi GPS which I haven't used in a while. It showed the current time was a few min after 2 PM when it was only those exact same min after 1 PM, even though it had acquired a satellite and would start giving directions.

I unchecked the settings box to auto-update the time but the button to manually set time was still grayed out. I held my finger on the screen over that button for ~30 sec and it suddenly seemed to activate, but it would only let me set the time back to an exact hour or to 10 min after an hour and nothing else...

Seems like Garmin may need to fix more than their built-in devices too...

#59 ·
This topic has been beaten to death across the various Honda forums. At this point there's not much use chiming in just to say you also have the problem. We know the problem is widespread, we know not everyone has had the issue, we know that the map version doesn't seem to correlate to people having or not having the problem, and we know Honda is looking into a fix but also believes the problem will resolve itself in August.

#63 ·
2009 Honda Accord started the new year one hour ahead Dealer disconnected battery to no avail even made it worse Now wrong hour and minute. today has Code error 1 then becomes error 2 on the time screen navigation still works
Radio stopped working
Wrong time on display is annoying
Have appointment with dealer next week

Vehicle Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle Audio equipment

Bad start to 2022: radio stopped working, displays wrong time, displays “error 2”
Anyone experiencing similar problems ?

#66 · (Edited)
Can anyone verify whether this is just an issue with Honda vehicles? Could this be a clock/date problem with the GPS satellites? If so, then all Nav systems from all car manufacturers are affected.

I asked because a buddy of mine has a Lexus ES-350 and he has the same GPS clock problem that started this year (2022). He also has a 2009 Ridgeline, and of course, has the same clock/date issues we are having.

BTW, I first noticed the problem on my 2011 Ridgeline GPS clock. Checked my 2010 and 2018 Accords, and yep ... the GPS clocks are stubbornly stuck at Jan 1, 2002.

CORRECTON: My 2018 Accord is now showing the correct date and time. I have the Touring trim, but don't know if that makes a difference.

I've since checked my 2011 Ridgeline and 2010 Accord and those still have the wrong date and time.

#67 ·
The GPS satellites are correct (otherwise, we would all be having serious issues, such as aircraft, etc). The actual GPS date in my Accord is now showing May 27, 2002, which makes sense since it was reading May 19, 2002 on the 2nd. GPS time is correct, but the clock is an hour ahead, since the system thinks it is May, so should be on Daylight Saving Time (it is still keeping perfect time, just on DST). The Calendar in the unit does think it is Jan 1, 2002 (not that I ever use it). It wouldn't surprise me if other makes are having similar issues.

To get to the hidden detailed GPS info (at least on my 2011 Accord), press and hold, in order, Menu - Map - Cancel (such that all three are being pressed at same time). Hold for about 5 seconds, and a diagnostic screen will appear. Select the "individual tests", and then select "GPS Information"

Rick Brodzinsky

#70 ·
It sounds like there might be two issues. Some reports indicate the clock reset to May 2002; others January 2002.

If it reset to May 2002, this almost certainly indicates a GPS Epoch issue. While the date doesn't align with the GPS Epoch, the observed offset from the current date is -1024 weeks, the length of a GPS Epoch. This suggests that Honda programmed it with a 143 week offset so that:

GPS week 143 = May 19, 2002
GPS week 1023 = March 31, 2019
GPS week 0 = April 7, 2019
GPS week 142 = December 26, 2021

So this particular issue could affect any Honda nav system between 2003 model year and 2012 model year after which the system was rewritten.

Honda says it will autocorrect in August. I don't buy that. The time will appear to be correct when we enter Daylight Saving Time (2nd week of March in the US) but will then recur with the clock displaying an hour behind in August when the system thinks it will have moved to standard time.

For the systems that reverted to January 2002, that's likely a separate bug. I don't have an answer for that, except that maybe it's a Y2K22 bug similar to Microsoft Exchange, and because the integer can't begin with ‘22...’ it's somehow dropping the leading 2 and rendering it as ‘02...’ but I haven't done the math to see if that makes any sense.

#73 · (Edited)
The exact nature of the issue depends on the vehicle. On the accord the only place the current date is found normally is in the calendar app, at least I have yet to find the date listed on any other screen. My car, the calendar app claims the current date is Jan 1 2002(it is stuck there). The time in the navi unit is stuck at 12:00 and does not move. The time displayed on the small screen below the nav screen is the correct time. Others say the time displayed on the small screen is incorrect. Apparently in some other Honda's the time is simply stuck at 12 or 1 but I believe these vehicles only have one screen displaying time. This would indicate that, in the Accord, there are 2 separate units tracking time. There would have to be for the nav screen and the radio screen to display two different times.

I think the issue is basically what you described. The firmware in GPS devices typically don't use the GPS epoch date, they hard code the start typically based on the firmware date, so the roll over within the device could happen anywhere in the 1024 week cycle. Basically what you described is what happened.
Beyond that, what I think is going on is there are other modules and a lot of software involved in the navigation unit and something is not happy that the date is now May 2002. Perhaps it is before the firmware date of some other module or creating some kind of date check issue in the software.

As for the August "autocorrect", it is possible the rollover date isn't in 2002 and through some bug or programming oversight there are some weeks in the 1024 week cycle that are hard coded to 2002 and once we are out of that range everything will work normally again.
What I think is more likely, I believe it is the week of August 14th(may have the date wrong but it will be in August regardless) will correspond to Jan 2003 in the nav system. This will correct whatever it is that is failing due to the date and allow the clock to be manually set, but the date will most likely still be incorrect.

I read on this CR-V post that the date on some NAV systems is stored in a 32 bit word in this format:

YYMMDDHHMM

The value is stored as a signed integer, and thus the 32nd bit is not used. The largest integer is therefore 2^31 which equals 2,147,483,648. If it was an unsigned integer the largest number would be 4,294,967,296.

This means that Dec 31, 2021 would be stored as 211231HHMM and therefore within the signed integer range. However, Jan 1, 2022 would be 220101HHMM and exceeds 2^31, and thus is misread as 020101HHMM (Jan 1, 2002). The use of an unsigned integer was corrected at some point on later NAV systems as @JJohnson mentions above.

I don't know if what I read was true. But, this makes sense to me since my 2010 Accord and 2011 Ridgeline computes the GPS date/time incorrectly (Jan 1, 2002), yet my 2018 Accord is calculating the proper date/time.

BTW, even using an unsigned 32 bit word the problem would appear again in the year 2043.
No. This is a complete BS theory created by a few arm chair experts that read a couple articles about Microsoft's woes with their Exchange software and think they have a clue what they are talking about. Any system, designed with the purpose of tracking time does not store date and time in this way. Even MS's issue had very little to do with the actual date. The issue was the version string of the signature file used by the anti-malware engine. The signature file version string is stored as a 32bit signed integer and MS made the choice to version the files as YYMMDDXXXX (likely for simplicity). They pushed out an update, which updated the signature file to version 2201010001 and because the value was stored as a 32b signed integer, it crashed the AV engine. MS released a fix to change the signature version to 211233XXXX.

While there are a few methods to track time, by far the most common is epoch based, time unit passed since epoch date, this time is then used by software to calculate the date. GPS uses an epoch system to track time and any device that is getting time from the GPS will undoubtedly also use epoch time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.