Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Clock issue beginning January 1, 2022

87K views 142 replies 87 participants last post by  WiiMaster 
#1 ·
Just noticed today my clock jumped ahead and hour and when I go to clock adjustment to change it, it doesnt change after i adjust the time. Tried turning the auto timezone and auto dst off and on made no difference. I drive a 2011 exl coupe with navi. Anyone else have the same thing happen?

#71 ·
I read on this CR-V post that the date on some NAV systems is stored in a 32 bit word in this format:

YYMMDDHHMM

The value is stored as a signed integer, and thus the 32nd bit is not used. The largest integer is therefore 2^31 which equals 2,147,483,648. If it was an unsigned integer the largest number would be 4,294,967,296.

This means that Dec 31, 2021 would be stored as 211231HHMM and therefore within the signed integer range. However, Jan 1, 2022 would be 220101HHMM and exceeds 2^31, and thus is misread as 020101HHMM (Jan 1, 2002). The use of an unsigned integer was corrected at some point on later NAV systems as @JJohnson mentions above.

I don't know if what I read was true. But, this makes sense to me since my 2010 Accord and 2011 Ridgeline computes the GPS date/time incorrectly (Jan 1, 2002), yet my 2018 Accord is calculating the proper date/time.

BTW, even using an unsigned 32 bit word the problem would appear again in the year 2043.

#75 ·
@2012 Accord HFP, Thanks for that explanation and rebuttal.

At this point, I (we) don't know what actually caused this date/time failure. I still like my explanation even though it's BS. That's because it made me feel good about a broken clock (LOL).

In any event, as long as my 2018 Accord date/time is correct,along with my phone, computer and watch, I'll just suffer with my 2010 and 2011 until a fix happens.

Cheers.

#103 ·
So in addition to my clock issue the other day my doors would not unlock from the inside. I kept pushing the button but my doors wouldn’t unlock. Finally I used the key to unlock the doors. Very dangerous I was really scared what if this was an emergency?? Panicking one may not think to use the key. Honda should really recall this issue. It’s leading to other electrical malfunctions.

#85 ·
Just stumbled across this thread. Now I know what is up with my wife's 2010 Acura RDX. It's doing the same thing. Tried to adjust multiple times but would not accept. Thanks Honda. SMH

#87 ·
This is what I was told as a work around by a dealer who was reading it from Honda.
At exactly 12:40 AM or PM, doesn’t matter, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. Reconnect, enter radio and NAV codes and hopefully you have timed it just right to where when the system clock starts at 1:00, it’s actually 1:00. On my car there is no calendar so am or pm doesn’t matter.
I have an 06 EXL and could do this but would have to twice a year. No thanks, please fix it Honda.
IMO, there is really no excuse for this happening…ever!

#91 ·
No, no it won’t…

From Honda:

Dear Mr. Hingst ,

We value you as a Honda customer and appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concern. On behalf of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., we apologize for the circumstances which prompted you to reach out to us. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for bringing your concern(s) to our attention.

Upon further review of the circumstances related to the inability to adjust the calendar/clock, we have confirmed that the issue is related to the navigation system’s internal calendar/clock.

We have also confirmed that the internal calendar/clock issue is temporary, and the navigation system will auto correct itself after the summer of 2022. We ask that you wait until September 2022, after which you will be able to manually adjust the calendar/clock to your preferred time.

We appreciate your patience and understanding with this matter.

Kind regards,
Honda In-Car Technology Support

#90 · (Edited)
Your owners manual should tell you how to change the time on your clock. On a 7th gen its really easy. However, on my 7th Gen (2005) the plus and minus buttons don't do anything. So what I do is unplug the battery, give it 15-20 minutes or so to let the memory die. Then I plug the battery back in and enter the radio code right at 1:00. On the 7th Gen's the clock defaults to 1:00 so entering the radio code at 1:00 sets the clock correctly.

#93 · (Edited)
Honda has released a ServiceNews Article on the topic which may be of interest to those of you who are affected:

It does affect some 7th gen Accords too, but it affects more of the 8th gen model years.

Reactions: EHingst
#95 ·
I have an 8th gen, no problems with the clock. Me too, loving the lack of electronics.

#96 ·
Do you have NAVI? Like the article says, the problem will start either when the battery is disconnected and reconnected or when DST starts again in March.

#99 ·
New year's day my clock read Jan 1 2001. Honda dealer told me its one of Honda's satellite and nothing they cZn do anything about it. Have to wait whin time change occurs in August 2022??? For real come on. I have 2011 Honda crv ex

My PC card ejector button broken any idea how much that will cost to fix. PC card stuck n reads no card ? Smh

#101 ·
I have a 2012 Accord V6 with Nav and have been trying to figure out what happened to the clock. I bought the car used a few years ago and don't use or care about the very out-of-date navigation system. Ironically, several weeks ago, I had pressed the Eject button on the CD changer in the trunk (which I never do), removed and looked at the Nav CD for about three seconds, then reinserted it. I noticed the clock thing soon after that and thought maybe fiddling with the CD had caused it. Decided that was silly and finally started googling it today. Thanks to all of you for posting your reports of this problem, thereby preserving my sanity.

And, of course, I join the echo of how ridiculous this is.

#102 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm still enjoying my 2008 V6 with Navi but ran into a strange issue. 😦

When the new year started (2022), I noticed my clock was 1 hour late. Instead of showing, for example, 12PM, it now shows 1PM. Other than the 1 hour issue, the time is being kept correctly.

When I go into the Navi menu to change the time, it doesn't work. I also noticed the calendar function doesn't work either and it's stuck at 1/1/2000 or some old date.

I'm guessing this issue has to do with the Navi unit's program not being able to deal with 2022?

Anyone else have this issue and are there any fixes for this?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Ms. Edgehill
#106 ·
I waited for the time change to preform the workaround. I disconnected the negative battery terminal at 12:50. Waited till 12:58 to reconnect it and enter the NAV code and radio code. My timing was perfect as when the system came back online, it was exactly 1:00 - the time the clock defaults to when power is removed. Now to wait and see if Honda was right when they said “the problem will fix itself” sometime in August or September.
cheers !!!
Eric

#107 ·
I waited for the time change to preform the workaround. I disconnected the negative battery terminal at 12:50. Waited till 12:58 to reconnect it and enter the NAV code and radio code. My timing was perfect as when the system came back online, it was exactly 1:00 - the time the clock defaults to when power is removed. Now to wait and see if Honda was right when they said “the problem will fix itself” sometime in August or September.
cheers !!!
Eric
Did it work?!?!

#108 ·
My 2009 Honda Accord V6 EX-L with Navigation also had the clock error that has been discussed in this thread. Regretfully, I was rear-ended and my Accord was totaled. It wasn't exactly the solution I had in mind to get rid of this problem. ;)

#110 ·
I bought the latest disc for mine in Jan and didn't resolve. I live in UK so I ended up disconnecting my battery during super bowl half time show which defaulted it to 1am. Only way I found of setting the clock. But our clocks change later this month so gonna have to have another late night

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.