Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Clock issue beginning January 1, 2022

87K views 142 replies 87 participants last post by  WiiMaster 
#1 ·
Just noticed today my clock jumped ahead and hour and when I go to clock adjustment to change it, it doesnt change after i adjust the time. Tried turning the auto timezone and auto dst off and on made no difference. I drive a 2011 exl coupe with navi. Anyone else have the same thing happen?

#2 ·
Seems like there is a bug in the navigation system, the clocks on my 2010 Accord and many other Honda models have advanced by one hour today (2022-JAN-02).

CRV: Clock Fault (Year 2022)

Pilot: 2011 EX-L w/NAV Clock Issue

Ridgeline: handsfreelink and navi problems

Just like the owners in those posts, I also tried manually set the time, but it jumps right back to 12:00 on the Navigation UI after I hit "DONE", and the smaller clock on the radio is nolonger in sync with the navigation system.

And also the GPS status on the navigation is not stable (keep going from no fix (No GPS symbol on map) -> 2d fix (a dimond shape next to the word GPS) -> 3d fix (a box next to the word GPS) -> no fix) even tho I am driving in a low density zone with good visibiliy to the sky.

I wish Honda would release a fix.

Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive exterior Auto part Family car

The clock on the Navigation UI is stuck at 1200. And the clock on the radio is one hour ahead.

Display device Gadget Font Electronic device Multimedia

And today's date became 2002 Jan 1 in the Calendar

#76 ·
Seems like there is a bug in the navigation system, the clocks on my 2010 Accord and many other Honda models have advanced by one hour today (2022-JAN-02).

CRV: Clock Fault (Year 2022)

Pilot: 2011 EX-L w/NAV Clock Issue

Ridgeline: handsfreelink and navi problems

Just like the owners in those posts, I also tried manually set the time, but it jumps right back to 12:00 on the Navigation UI after I hit "DONE", and the smaller clock on the radio is nolonger in sync with the navigation system.

And also the GPS status on the navigation is not stable (keep going from no fix (No GPS symbol on map) -> 2d fix (a dimond shape next to the word GPS) -> 3d fix (a box next to the word GPS) -> no fix) even tho I am driving in a low density zone with good visibiliy to the sky.

I wish Honda would release a fix.

View attachment 536911
The clock on the Navigation UI is stuck at 1200. And the clock on the radio is one hour ahead.

View attachment 536910
And today's date became 2002 Jan 1 in the Calendar
How did you get to the calendar? I can’t figure out how to get to it on mine!

#5 ·
This seems to be affecting a bunch of Hondas with the year change. It's been happening to 05-10 Odysseys as well. If I had to guess, Honda's navi software probably has a bug and can't handle date and time in 2022. Not that different from the Y2K problem.

The Odyssey has been having issues as well.

Same issue as what was affecting Microsoft Exchange perhaps?

#8 ·
I appreciated finding this thread today. I was very confused why my 2012 Accord EX-L w/ Navi is doing this as it's usually dead-on accurate with time changes. I've read the same experience with other models as well. Can anyone confirm if getting an updated map DVD (I still have the original 2011 disc) actually fixes this bug? I don't want to spend money on something I wouldn't normally buy if it won't repair the issue.

#55 ·
I got the 2021 DVD update last year, and have the same clock issues as everyone else here. So don't waste your money!

#9 ·
Updated map DVD may not fix it. Some users in the Odyssey forum are having this problem even with the latest map update. We haven't figured out what the cause of the problem is and why exactly some people are not having the issue.

#12 ·
Hmm. Let me think through a couple ideas. I have a K-Tuner. That doesn't seem like a likely explanation, but there is some overlap between the computer systems because my trip computer data blanks out after a flash.

I've also had to enter the radio and nav codes after replacing the battery. The last time was a couple years ago, but turning a computer off and on again fixes a lot of things. In doing that, I discovered the cancel/map/menu diagnostic screen. I wonder if there's a setting in there that could help.

#10 · (Edited)
Y2K22 Bug
The best explanation as the likely cause is from CR-V owner’s club member CRV-32.
“It hasn’t been in the news much but yesterday the date was written by many computers as 2201010001 (YYMMDDHHMM).” said this 2007 Honda CR-V owner.
Many older computers that store the date this way cannot handle any number bigger than 2147483647, so as soon as the year began with a 22, it fails and can no longer register the date/time correctly.
I can’t prove this for certain, but the timing is not likely to be coincidence. It’s basically like the millennium bug on a smaller scale.
The same issue wrecked some Microsoft email servers yesterday too.”
See: Microsoft Exchange year 2022 bug in FIP-FS breaks email delivery
“It is ultimately a hardware and software issue, so I doubt Honda will roll out a fix for vehicles that are this old. Happy to be corrected if this is not right, but the timing and the fact that it has started to affect many cars at the same exact time means it’s likely to be the root cause IMHO.”

Buried in the CRV link posted by @001326

The following explains why I have trouble with email at work too !!!!

#18 ·
Like I said, I love lowest tech model cars. I have NO navi in my 7th gen, no issues whatsoever. Don't know if anyone tried to disconnect the nav antenna from behind the headunit, it's worth a shot. You'll need disassemble the console to get to it.

#23 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 with navi, noticed this thread and thought I would check. Didn't leave the key on long, just enough for the nav to get location plus a few minutes. Date and time appear to be correct.
Car has the original nav disc

edit:
lol nope. The nav unit must sync date and time at certain intervals. Had the car running today, at some point in the 30 or so minutes it decided it is 2002.

#26 ·
2007 Accord Touring with navigation and latest disk installed Feb. 2021. Purchased new no repairs or modifications and it advanced the clock one-hour New Year's Day, 2022. Cannot change the date or time through the system. Removed the disk, cleared the system using the three left buttons held down together and using that menu. Reinstalled the disc but problem is still present. Tried a number of other things but no luck. Next move will try clearing the system and installing a previous disk but doubt that will work as the problem must be with the system and 2022.

Hopefully the 2022 disk will have a fix.

#28 ·
So I was actually in my car at 6am EST (was in South Florida) and drove it all day long until midnight to Northern Ohio. My wife 1st noticed the time change around 6pm, if that makes any difference. I know at 6am the clock was CORRECT.

It was some time around 6-8pm that the clock error happened. Not sure if that helps figure a fix or not.

#29 ·
My 2011 Accord EL-X has same issue

This is actually a GPS Epoch issue. Going into the "hidden" diagnostic menu on Sunday, I discovered the GPS date was now "May 19, 2002". That date was exactly 1024 weeks ago (1024 = 2^10) We jumped forward an hour due to May being in daylight savings time.

I very much doubt new map DVD will fix issue, since last one came out a couple years ago.

#32 ·
Figured this would be the case. Many GPS devices only work on a single 1024 week span and will no longer show an accurate date once the week count rolls over, regardless where that roll over falls.

Absolutely this would be fixable with a DVD update. The disc also contains software/firmware updates for the Navi system, Honda has been using the software update to prevent piracy of the maps DVD for years. They simply haven't bothered to correct this issue, also according to the Honda website, the 2021 DVD is the last update that will be released for this system, so there wont be a 2022 disc anyway.

#31 ·
It is affecting my 2010 Acura RDX Navi is now 1 hour ahead since today. The clock says it is January 1st, 2002. I upgraded the disc in 2015 to Ver 4.F0.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Calamity Coyote
#33 ·
"Me too..." my 2012 Accord EX-L with navi exhibits the same symptoms. This is definitely a bug, not a hardware failure.

So if the fix will be available in August (as others have indicated), that probably coincides with the annual release of the map updates -- and why Honda customer service is giving that date.

But I'm questioning if there WILL be an update, because with the 2021 update, there was this disclaimer: "This 2021 Map Update will be the final map update release for this system and will be available while supplies last."

Source: Honda Navigation 2021 White DVD Map Update for U.S.

With the 2013 model year, the navigation system generation changed. I don't know if 2013 and later models are affected by this bug or not; everything I've read so far seems to indicate 2012 and earlier. So 2013 and later will get updates in August, but will 2012 and earlier get updates? I don't have high hopes.

And even if they do relent and ship an update in 2022, it will most likely cost you -- the regular price of the update is $149 (but sometimes they've sent out emails offering a $99 price).

#104 ·
I have a 2008 Accord V6 3.5L and having similar issues (but not exactly the same). Up until Wednesday 23/02/22, everything was good. However, I had to replace the alternator and what do you know, now the nav doesn't connect with the clock. The clock is more than 3 hours ahead and the calendar has reverted to 2002. Similar to others when I try to change the clock on the nav system, it just reverts back to 12.00am. I called Honda and they told me to bring it in for a diagnostic- $165 AUD mind you. Nobody mentioned this known error.

#35 ·
Someone on the Odyssey forum contacted Honda on the issue as well.

They're saying that the engineers have said that they expect the problem to resolve itself automatically in August, but they are working to see if it can be solved sooner.

#37 ·
Same issue here...2007 EX-L navigation, noticed the problem on January 2nd and read every thread I could find for a fix. Car also shows 2002 as the year in the calender screen and when I try to manually adjust the clock, it resets the adjustment to 12:00 but does not save. Found the secret menu, tried setting it there but it doesn't save there either and also shows 2002. All the diagnostic checks in that menu were fine.

So then I disconnected the battery, entered the codes, and it reset to 1:00pm (it was 12:33 or so at the time). So now instead of 1 hour fast, it is 27 minutes fast and after reading this thread, I might just try this again just before 1pm someday to see if I can get lucky and have it reset to around the right time.

Only other issue here is that I've noticed the nav screen takes 5-10 minutes to recognize itself after the battery is disconnected. I noticed this when I changed the battery earlier last year, I got a red script screen saying it had lost signal and will take some time to reconnect. If I can figure out a way for it to reconnect in a predictable time I'm going to try this while waiting for the August fix, or a new disc, or any other permanent fix that might hopefully come out?

BTW I bought the car in 2012 and have never replaced the disc. So it's either 2011 or 2007 I'd say.

Has anyone tried disconnecting the battery to see where the clock resets to?

#43 ·
Same issue here...2007 EX-L navigation, noticed the problem on January 2nd and read every thread I could find for a fix. Car also shows 2002 as the year in the calender screen and when I try to manually adjust the clock, it resets the adjustment to 12:00 but does not save. Found the secret menu, tried setting it there but it doesn't save there either and also shows 2002. All the diagnostic checks in that menu were fine.

So then I disconnected the battery, entered the codes, and it reset to 1:00pm (it was 12:33 or so at the time). So now instead of 1 hour fast, it is 27 minutes fast and after reading this thread, I might just try this again just before 1pm someday to see if I can get lucky and have it reset to around the right time.

Only other issue here is that I've noticed the nav screen takes 5-10 minutes to recognize itself after the battery is disconnected. I noticed this when I changed the battery earlier last year, I got a red script screen saying it had lost signal and will take some time to reconnect. If I can figure out a way for it to reconnect in a predictable time I'm going to try this while waiting for the August fix, or a new disc, or any other permanent fix that might hopefully come out?

BTW I bought the car in 2012 and have never replaced the disc. So it's either 2011 or 2007 I'd say.

Has anyone tried disconnecting the battery to see where the clock resets to?
My 2010 Honda Accord 2.2i-DTEC has this problem too, so I decided to try this fix which came from another forum

I trieddisconnecting the battery just before 1pm, but reconnecting at ~1pm didn't work. Then I wondered whether it needed to be disconnected for longer, so I did it again and waited about 15 minutes before reconnecting.

On switching on, the time showed as 1.00pm, and continued working as normal, but showed ~20minutes slow.

So it appears that the timing is vital, and I'll now have to wait until 1.00pm tomorrow to try again!

I'm not sure about the timing of this though - should it be bang on 1pm when I disconnect and instantly reconnect, or should I disconnect before 1pm , leave off and reconnect at exactly 1pm? I somehow favour the latter, but does anyone know the correct procedure, please?

What a faff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.