Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have the clunking in the front of their car when going over bumps? Dealer says that it sounds like the same their experiencing with their vans. They want to pull the struts and glue in the neoprene bump stops. Not to thrilled with the idea of them taking my brand new car all apart. Probably have more issues after that. Not sure if this is what's making it pull hard to the left also. Not to impressed with honda so far. I hope it gets better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anyone else have the clunking in the front of their car when going over bumps? Dealer says that it sounds like the same their experiencing with their vans. They want to pull the struts and glue in the neoprene bump stops. Not to thrilled with the idea of them taking my brand new car all apart. Probably have more issues after that. Not sure if this is what's making it pull hard to the left also. Not to impressed with honda so far. I hope it gets better.
Not 100% with the accord, but sometimes manufacturers will put spacers in the springs when shipping the car that are supposed to be removed by the dealer. If you are new to Honda you should expect a generally louder drive in terms of road noise. Road noise is a frequent complaint on this forum.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Honda automobiles have always been designed with a 'sporty ride' tuned suspension. If you are used to driving a typical GM or Toyota they generally have a softer suspension setup where the driver is more isolated from the road. My father in law used to say he liked a car that rode like sitting in his living room. :D He would not like the way Honda's ride.

Pulling hard to the left may be a different issue than the clunking noise such as being out of alignment. Does the pulling left occur when you step on the brake or all the time? Does it happen on a very flat roadway in the middle lane? Mine drives hands off on a flat roadway and doesn't clunk on going over bumps.

Has the service department put the car up on a lift and looked for the problem? If so and you don't like their assessment, then you may want to take the car to another dealer's service department or a reputable independent alignment shop and get a second opinion. I realize that it's difficult to let the service department work on your new baby, but it's covered on the warranty.

Honda, like every other manufacturer doesn't make all the perts for their cars. They buy them from suppliers. I always joke in the aviation business that every part from a supplier was made by the lowest bidder.:notworthy

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
My 2013 EX-L had the clunk sound on bumps when it was new (a year ago). The dealership said it was "normal". Now, I don't hear it, but instead the whole car doesn't seem tight on bumps. Very different from my 2000 EX-L, which was tight as a whistle even after 9 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Dealer did say it was a cold wheather tsb since only the cars in the colder climate are dealing with this clunk.
Pulling answer- it is consistent in pulling left on all roads at 50kph and above.
I talked to dealer about my thoughts on pulling my car all apart for this work and he said since one of my concerns is corrosion after this surgery, he would give me a break on their under coating package? Black tar like substance underbody and the clear wax inside panels. Supposed to be good for life? Retails at 1600 he said they do it for $400plus tax. What's your thoughts on this type of application? They also claim it reduces road noise.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Dealer did say it was a cold wheather tsb since only the cars in the colder climate are dealing with this clunk.
Pulling answer- it is consistent in pulling left on all roads at 50kph and above.
I talked to dealer about my thoughts on pulling my car all apart for this work and he said since one of my concerns is corrosion after this surgery, he would give me a break on their under coating package? Black tar like substance underbody and the clear wax inside panels. Supposed to be good for life? Retails at 1600 he said they do it for $400plus tax. What's your thoughts on this type of application? They also claim it reduces road noise.
The dealer is giving you a 400% off! It sounds like a good deal or the discount is based on inflated price. I would not do this to my car, it is a total waste of money. I live in salty MN and am not worried about corrosion.

·
Elvira
3,438 Posts
Another thing that may make the "clunk" more noticable is that the tires as shipped from Honda usually have the tire PSI at 40. The tires can take that PSI but it makes the tire less pliable. Combine that with stiff struts, cold climate, hard tires that are 45's ? can transmit any road imperfections directly to the body and you feel it. Check the PSI in your tires and adjust to the door sticker PSI. This happened to mine when purchased last year in December. Very harsh ride until I reduced PSI down from 40.

My opinion on undercoating :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

It will reduce noise but if not put on diligently, may cause more problems down the road. Missed areas, thin coating in areas, etc that may trap water, salt, etc.

It also probably adds buko amount of weight to the car.

Miker

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Why would removing the suspension and putting it back together affect the corrosion protection? The bolts will hold all the parts tightly together and the surfaces that were coated at the factory will still be coated when they are reassembled. The car comes with a factory rust warranty which covers five years with no milage limit. If it makes you feel better $400 is not unreasonable for essentially an extended rust warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys
I do appredicate your feedback. I was just referring to the cadmium coating on all the associated fasteners retaining the struts and possible nics and sctratches during removel and reassembly- just thought it may increase the chances of rust.
I did not however check my tires for pressure yet but was thinking of checking with local tire dealer on swapping them out for Michlens for a quieter smoother ride. I'm not sure if there is room but it looks like there may be enough to go to a 50 series tire (taller sidewall more cushion).
Is anyone on here running 50series with stock suspension?

My driver side has been clunking lately. I wonder if temperature has anything to do with it.
FYI.
It is just the Drivers side making the clunk but Honda Tsb says to remove and apply their special adhesive to both sides as they are expecting the other side to do the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2013 Accord Sport is also making a clunk on the drivers front. It's only when I hit a "bump" in the roadway. I looked for the TSB but couldn't find it....

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 2013 Accord Sport is also making a clunk on the drivers front. It's only when I hit a "bump" in the roadway. I looked for the TSB but couldn't find it....

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Not sure tsb number as the dealer was talking to Honda on the phone apparently they are just developing corrective action now as the complaints have only started when this cold wheather came. So far it sounds like no one else has had this performed on their accord. Also noticed that no one has chimed in to say they can hear this on the right side of car yet either. Hmm?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I too have this problem, any solutions?
All fixed up now. Dealer removed struts and glued bump stops back in place. They used the tsb from the oddesys vans as they are having the same issue. They did an alignment after but it still pulls to the left. Hopefully they can fix that at my first service.
Good luck!

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
All fixed up now. Dealer removed struts and glued bump stops back in place. They used the tsb from the oddesys vans as they are having the same issue. They did an alignment after but it still pulls to the left. Hopefully they can fix that at my first service.
Good luck!
You may have a bad tire if it's still pulling left. The manufacturer of the tire would warranty that.

Jay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts