Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting a clunking noise from my drivers side front suspension lately. It has progressively been getting worse over the last few weeks. I have checked all my suspension and drive line components and bushings and all looks good except the lower control arm compliance bushing. It actually looks torn, not just cracked. I searched and a lot of people have replaced these, but would this be the source of my noise?

If it does need to be replaced, would it be worth replacing the control arm myself as a whole for $125 or taking it to a shop to replace an $8 bushing? Would it be prudent to replace both sides at the same time?

Here is a pic of the bushing in question.
[/url] bushing by Leroy9669, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
257 Posts
Waiting for the answer as well.

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
The mechanic I spoke with when I had my TL (which had a TSB on this issue) said not to worry unless it's torn from top to bottom. If you're sure that's the only "bad" part, then I say replace it. Thanks for the reminder as my car makes some periodic clunking noise and this may be the culprit.

I would definitely replace it myself, although I would take the control arm to a shop (if you have a second vehicle or means of getting there) and have them swap the bushing. It's a bit of work to get in out and pressed back in and it's worth it to me to pay someone to do it. Only 3 bolts hold the arm in place, so it should be simple enough for you to do at home.

*edit*

3 bolts for the lca, but other parts have to be remove, too. This link is from the TL.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11619930&postcount=387

More helpful info
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12440823&postcount=457

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12441482&postcount=460

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12442914&postcount=462

Price to have a shop to ALL of the work = around $300 per side.

Price to have shop swap bushing alone = around $50 per side + cost of bushing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
search this problem for about 3 times mine does the clunk when turning the steering side to side to:resolve by replacing the 2 driver side bushing of the steering rack..moving on the subframe

·
Registered
328 Posts
Did you check your swaybar endlinks; mine went bad and made a clunking sound over bumps and uneven pavement. The car has to be at ride height to check them, since the swaybar will be under load if you jack the front end up.

Also, if you do decide to remove the LCAs, you should have all three of the bushings replaced on both sides at the same time.

OEM LCAs are ~$270 NEW; are you referring to aftermarket LCAs for $125?

I personally refuse to use most aftermarket parts on my engine or in my suspension/braking system. The question is then, how easy is it to replace the part? Aftermarket parts don't have the durability/longevity of the OEM stuff.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did check the end links with the entire front end lifted up, both wheels suspended. That should have provided no tension, correct? If not would ramps work?

The LCA's are I presume OEM, from Hondaautomotiveparts.com. Are those not OEM?

Did you check your swaybar endlinks; mine went bad and made a clunking sound over bumps and uneven pavement. The car has to be at ride height to check them, since the swaybar will be under load if you jack the front end up.

Also, if you do decide to remove the LCAs, you should have all three of the bushings replaced on both sides at the same time.

OEM LCAs are ~$270 NEW; are you referring to aftermarket LCAs for $125?

I personally refuse to use most aftermarket parts on my engine or in my suspension/braking system. The question is then, how easy is it to replace the part? Aftermarket parts don't have the durability/longevity of the OEM stuff.

·
Registered
282 Posts
...on my 05 EXL there's been a low frequency squeak from the drivers front side for the last couple months only when you first started driving, after that the sound disappeared. It only happens on sharp right hand turns, like when I leave my driveway in the morning. It now happens most of the time but still only on sharp right hand turns. Asked about it at my dealer and at the indy guy that sometimes works on my car and they both said the same thing = a dry bushing that they can lubricate during my next oil change...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts