Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My parents own a Accord 15 V6 Touring. I rarely drive it since it is not my car but I notice that the car makes this clunking noise going from D to R and R to D.

I was wondering if that is normal?

·
Elvira - the car
3,286 Posts
Hi,

My parents own a Accord 15 V6 Touring. I rarely drive it since it is not my car but I notice that the car makes this clunking noise going from D to R and R to D.

I was wondering if that is normal?
depends on how loud or jarring the clunk is. It sounds like it is very common on the 6 speed auto as I have one from 2013. My experience is that it is very quiet almost totally unnoticeable, unless I don't allow a few seconds after stopping the motion of the car to change from R to D.

If it happens everytime and very loudly no matter how long you pause between shifting it could be a problem.

It is especially noticeable during the cold days if the car is not yet warmed up.

My experience anyway we'll see if anyone else can comment.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,170 Posts
It does make the clunking noise on mine too; even shifting it back to P. it is an irritating, unhealthy clunking noise; I guess it is normal to them. I had to learn how it behaves and try to avoid the shifting. I guess you have to give it time for every shift even when fully stopped. My experiment is that from P to R, don't put it back to P or it will clunk. And, from P to R to D then to R again, it will clunk. In fact, I can feel when it will make the clunking noise; I guess depending on the shifting pattern, I know it will clunk.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Apparently, the only time I ever get a nasty sound from the transmission is if I reverse, then put it in D, then put it back in R within several seconds. I backed into my driveway recently and realized that the car wasn't centered enough, so I put it in Drive, pulled forward a few feet, straightened up, and then reversed again. It was when I switched back to Reverse that I got a nasty metallic click/clunk that made me cringe. The engine and transmission were warm, too, having been driven about 25 miles just prior. That was something that I did not expect and hadn't heard for quite some time. My 6G V6 used to bang loudly when shifted from P to R and would clunk a bit from R to D, so hearing a similar noise from my 9G V6 was at once disturbing and nostalgic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I went to the parking lot to do some test.

I realized the car makes a "clunk" noise when I switch to reverse when car is still in motion. Like going at 1 mile / hr.

So for example, when I try to back into a parking slot quickly, I switch to R without completely stopping.
@acutee

My car does the same too. Once I reversed the car in and push it back to P, it makes this "clunk".

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,481 Posts
You shouldn't be doing that in the first place...

Does going into drive while still reversing damage an automatic transmission? | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles
"Going from reverse to drive while moving slowly will not DAMAGE an automatic transmission, but it is a bad habit. The foreward clutches in your transmission are NOT a substitute for the foot brake, and wear and possible failure will result from chronic reverse/drive or drive/reverse shifts while car is in motion."

·
BDFR3NT
29 Posts
Ya unless its a manual, should be a complete stop then switch. I am guilty of not completely stopping but its usually R to D but never back again, if I go back I completely stop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It happened to me this morning after reading this thread a couple of days ago. I didn't even noticed it until OP said anything about it.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,116 Posts
The older V6s have a "Clunk" noise when shifting Through P, D, R. Did they not fix that in the new models?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
salcuta
Drive Accord Honda Forums
Drive Accord forum, a community where Honda Accord owners can discuss reviews, service, parts, and share mods.
Full Forum Listing