Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspecting the fluid in my car and I noticed that the clutch fluid reservoir was below the line and I took a pic. It looks dirty to me? What do you guys think?

My clutch pedal has has felt weird to me. It feels heavy specially in the summer after driving around town for awhile :|

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
what year vehicle is it? It's due every 3 years, should be every 2 years, just like brake fluid.

how does it feel heavy? what does that mean?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what year vehicle is it? It's due every 3 years, should be every 2 years, just like brake fluid.

how does it feel heavy? what does that mean?
It's a 2013 with 24k miles.

After driving awhile I can't get smooth shifts. Sometimes it feels like the clutch pedal releases low and other times it releases at higher point. Does that make sense? haha. The dealer replaced my CMC after like 4 months of getting my car because the clutch pedal was squeaking. I used to have a 2008 Civic Si and that clutch pedal always felt the same and it released at a lower height than my Accord does.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Take a turkey baster, suck the brake fluid out. pour new in. pump the clutch 15-20 times. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Done.

Be careful not to get any brake fluid on the paint.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
the clutch fluid *is* brake fluid.

as for the clutch feel I believe the Si might be a self adjusting clutch like the accord v6 but I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to start with at least bleeding the clutch fluid system. You need to get fresh fluid in there and you need to clear out potential air pockets.
Yeah I'm going to bleed it out.
Take a turkey baster, suck the brake fluid out. pour new in. pump the clutch 15-20 times. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Done.

Be careful not to get any brake fluid on the paint.
Yeah I've heard that it will ruin the paint and I don't want that.

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
I've been meaning to do this on my accord as well.

Since this is my first time doing this, do you bleed the clutch fluid from the slave cylinder?

If so, is this the only place to bleed it from?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been meaning to do this on my accord as well.

Since this is my first time doing this, do you bleed the clutch fluid from the slave cylinder?

If so, is this the only place to bleed it from?

Thanks in advance.
I don't bleed the system (on my other car with a hydraulic clutch). Wouldn't be surprised if the dealer didn't service it the way I described. sucking out most of the old fluid, then circulating new brake fluid throughout the clutch circuit (repeat two or three times till the fluid is clear.) BE SURE TO PUT THE CAP BACK ON THE RESERVOIR BEFORE PUMPING THE CLUTCH. This will replace 99.9% of the original fluid, and as long as you don't pump the clutch while the reservoir is empty, you won't have any air to bleed off.

As for getting brake fluid on the paint.... just put some paper towels around the reservoir, and cover the fender with a towel. should be fine.

I haven't looked on our '15 Accord, but would think there is a line inside the reservoir indicating full.

If you do go to the dealer, ask them specifically if they actually bleed the clutch system when replacing the brake fluid in the clutch reservoir.

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
I don't bleed the system (on my other car with a hydraulic clutch). Wouldn't be surprised if the dealer didn't service it the way I described. sucking out most of the old fluid, then circulating new brake fluid throughout the clutch circuit (repeat two or three times till the fluid is clear.) BE SURE TO PUT THE CAP BACK ON THE RESERVOIR BEFORE PUMPING THE CLUTCH. This will replace 99.9% of the original fluid, and as long as you don't pump the clutch while the reservoir is empty, you won't have any air to bleed off.

As for getting brake fluid on the paint.... just put some paper towels around the reservoir, and cover the fender with a towel. should be fine.

I haven't looked on our '15 Accord, but would think there is a line inside the reservoir indicating full.

If you do go to the dealer, ask them specifically if they actually bleed the clutch system when replacing the brake fluid in the clutch reservoir.
Where do you flush out the old fluid from?
Is there a bleeder valve on the slave cylinder?

·
Registered
377 Posts
How is that possible?

circulating new brake fluid throughout the clutch circuit

This isn't a closed loop system like a hot water heating system in your house. How can it "circulate"?

·
Registered
122 Posts
circulating new brake fluid throughout the clutch circuit

This isn't a closed loop system like a hot water heating system in your house. How can it "circulate"?
Yikes, good catch Ren-Man. Dealing with brake fluid, my brain was thinking brake system. All else good. I use this method regularly on a C5 Corvette six-speed. Keeps the clutch fluid nice and clear. I do it every six months or so (the Corvette for some reason allows clutch dust into the system. How is still a mystery to me).

Cheap (price of a can of brake fluid) and easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts