Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock clutch is slipping. Never done a burnout and rarely drive hard. Just merging, it slips around 3-4k. Hondata stage 2 and AEM intake was all it took. I’ve had plenty of clutch upgrades in previous cars, but would prefer something mild in this one. Would be elated if the CTR clutch and flywheel fit, but can’t get a straight answer. What are everyone’s experiences with some of the aftermarket clutches currently available?

Anyone? Looking for clutch experiences. Not happy with dual mass setup and especially not happy that the oem clutch only lasted 2k miles with mild stage 2 abuse.

Forgot to mention that I have the 1.5. Hondata doesn’t have the integrated traction control yet, only the standalone unit. My next step is to de-tune it and see. I agree that the power is impressive now, but I have a hard time believing that it’s wheel spin. A lot of the Honda techs I used to work with have all done multiple clutches in 1.5 Accords and Civics because they slip too.

·
BriGuy5
171 Posts
Sure you just aren't losing traction? No one has reported report stock clutch slipping issues thus far, as well as I've never had an issue. My biggest issue is traction at this point (wheels would even spin in 3rd gear unless perfect conditions). I've enabled Hondata traction control which has helped a lot, but still expect a little wheel spin (they say 6%ish is normal, and that sounds right in line with my experience). I'm using Stage 2, Rev Hang disabled, Traction enabled, K&N intake, Borla catback and no clutch slippage.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Flash it back to stock and see if the issue persists. Short of pulling the transmission and inspecting the clutch plate, I have to agree that you may be losing traction.

My 2017 6-6 with a stage 2 tune doesn't slip.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Doesn’t the 2.0 and 1.5 manuals use the same transmission? I would assume they do to prevent needing two different manual trans seeing as they sell so few. What are they making these clutches our of, mashed potatoes? Lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Doesn’t the 2.0 and 1.5 manuals use the same transmission? I would assume they do to prevent needing two different manual trans seeing as they sell so few. What are they making these clutches our of, mashed potatoes? Lol
Looks like they're different transmissions. Guessing the 1.5 is the same as the Civic and if you check you can find lots of talk about Civic clutch failure.

2.0 clutch is made from twice-baked potatoes. Sour cream and cheese allow it to handle the extra tork.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
If the clutch were actually slipping it wouldn't be RPM specific. Put it in 4th at 30 MPH and floor it, if the engine revs and the car doesn't accelerate, the clutch is slipping. Unless this car has been abused and/or has a ton of miles on it I can't see the clutch slipping already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car has 12,800 miles, Stage 2 reflash was added at 10,000. Never been abused, it’s my commuter car. I was also a Honda-tech for almost 20yrs and am well aware of how to diagnose a slipping clutch - it slips right as the boost kicks in. As stated earlier, there are also tons of threads about the Civic, which has the same clutch and flywheel. I am just hoping for some feedback about the clutches available for the accord.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Might want to check for an oil leak either from the engine crankshaft or the transmission input shaft. Just a very small amount of oil can cause slippage.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Car has 12,800 miles, Stage 2 reflash was added at 10,000. Never been abused, it’s my commuter car. I was also a Honda-tech for almost 20yrs and am well aware of how to diagnose a slipping clutch - it slips right as the boost kicks in. As stated earlier, there are also tons of threads about the Civic, which has the same clutch and flywheel. I am just hoping for some feedback about the clutches available for the accord.
I love the smell of sweet, putrid burnt clutch in the morning. Is the 2.0's (either Accord or Civic Type R) clutch/PP/flywheel compatible with the 1.5T? Best of luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you go on one of the online OEM parts places and look at the diagrams it lists the 1.5 Accord clutch as being the same as the 1.5 Civic clutch. However if you look at aftermarket clutches (there are quite a few for the Civic) they say they fit the Civic only. Don't know if that's an over site on their part or if there is actually some difference.

My guess would be the Civic clutches should fit but I wouldn't buy one based on a guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bumping an old thread here

-My clutch is definately slipping in 6th gear at least. Im on Ktuner stage 2 and will slip from 3k rpm on up. Anyone found any good replacement clutches for the 1.5t?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Clutch slipping might be what's protecting your transmission. Does anyone know if the 1.5 and 2.0 have the same gearbox? If the clutch cannot handle stage 2, then I would not think it safe to assume the transmission has a lot of headroom, either. Honda may have overengineered the 2.0 to allow for some mods, but 1.5 is made for fuel economy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Will the clutch from the Civic Type R work? I'm guessing that one is set up to handle a bit more abuse, and it's an OEM solution (if that's at all important to you).

Along those lines, I expect you'll find a bunch more input on this topic on Civic forums.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts