Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey DA.. Had some SERIOUS frigid weather (-10F with wind chill) roll through here in NY along with about a foot of snow, my car was in the freezing cold garage for the most of it and sat almost 2 days. Last night when I went to go out, I let the car warm up for a few minutes and backed it out of the driveway. When I shifted out of first, I noticed the clutch pedal returned very slowly (I shift through gears very quickly when the car is still cold keeping the rpms under 2500-3000 max) and the same thing from 2nd to 3rd. Continued on my way not really thinking anything of it, but when I got to my destination, I parked the car and started to depress the clutch pedal and release quickly as if I were "popping the clutch" (I was doing this in neutral of course) and the clutch pedal definitely seemed to be returning much slower than it should.

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I just recently (around 2K miles ago) switched to AC DELCO SYNCHROMESH FM trans fluid..

I've read the slave or master cylinder could be going bad when clutch pedal "sticks" but this isn't really a stick, more of a lag and I seem to think that the extreme cold might have something to do with this..

Any input is appreciated :biggrin:

BTW, It's a 2010 LX-S i4 with around 51,XXX on the clock..

·
Registered
389 Posts
Very curious on this one as I've noticed the same thing in recent weeks (I'm in RI where it's also been brutally cold lately). Mine is a 2010 EX I4 with about 60K on the clock, I've not yet touched the transmission fluid.

It's definitely more of a lag than a stick, but after a few minutes of driving, it's fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine seems to stay sort of "spongy" feeling for the entire ride of about 35 miles..

I hate the cold man, cant wait for springtime!! :yes:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I just recently (around 2K miles ago) switched to AC DELCO SYNCHROMESH FM trans fluid..

1. I've no experience with NY cold.

2. I do have 70,000 miles of experience with GMSFM (same great transmission goo as above).

The clutch and the transmission - in this case I believe - would be in two differing universes........acting independently with no fluid relationship.

Good stuff.

ez

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
It is the cold. The clutch returns slowly because the clutch fluid (brake fluid) is very thick. The clutch symptoms you experience are independent of the transmission and transmission fluid. Changing the transmission fluid will have ZERO effect on the clutch. The transmission and clutch are two completely separate systems.

The clutch uses a simple hydraulic system. When the hydraulic fluid is super thick the internal pressure spikes. Forcing the clutch to move quickly will help nothing and perhaps even damage the system. Be gentle with the car when it is cold and stiff. Also, the clutch system does not get warm like the engine and transmission. (It might get slightly warmer than the outside temperature because of the ambient temperature inside the engine bay, but for the most part it will remain cold.) When the temperature warms, the clutch should behave as normal.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It is the cold. The clutch returns slowly because the clutch fluid (brake fluid) is very thick. The clutch symptoms you experience are independent of the transmission and transmission fluid. Changing the transmission fluid will have ZERO effect on the clutch. The transmission and clutch are two completely separate systems.

The clutch uses a simple hydraulic system. When the hydraulic fluid is super thick the internal pressure spikes. Forcing the clutch to move quickly will help nothing and perhaps even damage the system. Be gentle with the car when it is cold and stiff. Also, the clutch system does not get warm like the engine and transmission. (It might get slightly warmer than the outside temperature because of the ambient temperature inside the engine bay, but for the most part it will remain cold.) When the temperature warms, the clutch should behave as normal.
Thanks for the insight. I wasn't too worried about it, but it seemed odd since this is the 4th winter I've had this car and it's never happened before now.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks baldeagle.. I don't know why, but for some reason just associate the clutch as being part of the transmission :dunno:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've made the same observation here on my 09. I've also noticed the brake pedal has felt a bit soft. I don't think this is related to cold weather, I'll have to check it out this saturday when it warms up to a balmy -4C (25F), right now it's -25C.

·
2014 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
55 Posts
Water in the brake fluid?

Question: anything weird going on with your brakes? The reason I ask is that brake fluid and clutch fluid in all the manuals I have ever owned have always been the same type of hydraulic fluid--DOT # Brake fluid. So if the brakes aren't acting up, that is a data point.

Did this happen in cold weather when your car was new? If not, then what's changed?

Something else to consider is that brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it likes to absorb water. That's a factor in a lot of car manufactures recommending brake system flushes every 3 years. Maybe the water molecules suspended in your fluid are turning into ice and contributing to fluid thickening. I'm just guessing here as I've lived in California my whole life and have never experienced a real winter :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have the same issue - when my car is in my garage (40dgF) all night it is fine but as I head to work in the -15dgF we had 2 weeks ago the fluid gets colder and the clutch peddle "slowly" comes back and "feels" funny.

It all went away when we warmed up to 25dgF.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't seem to notice any difference in the brake pedal, only the clutch.

VTECnation, sounds kind of logical, maybe I should do a fluid change for my clutch soon as it warms up a little??
Anybody know the process for changing the clutch fluid on these 8G 5MT? ( I knowwww, look it up.......)

·
Honda Nation
1,679 Posts
Check your clutch fluid and top it off if it needs it. I had the same problem with my Prelude, checked the fluid and it was low. Filled it, pumped the clutch a few times, and it was perfect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try -52 CELCIUS (FYI That's around -62F) without windchill.
The clutch takes about 5 whole seconds to travel back up and it's like a whole squat workout all on its own

#CanadaProblems

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol jwslam, I couldn't imagine!! My face hurts from walking outside at 8F. I think my eyeballs would freeze at -50 something!!!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Try -52 CELCIUS (FYI That's around -62F) without windchill.
The clutch takes about 5 whole seconds to travel back up and it's like a whole squat workout all on its own

#CanadaProblems
Is it really that cold in your part of Canada? Where exactly are you? Ever read a short story by Jack London called To Build a Fire? In that story London describes your kind of cold. At roughly that temperature, if you spit in the air it will freeze before it hits the ground and make a crackle noise. Sounds brutal to me!

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
Just a reminder-- try to use your e-brake sparingly in this weather. Cold and slush might lead to a frozen e-brake especially if you car is always outside.

Thanks for this thread. I have not experienced the slow clutch yet but nice to have a fyi.

·
Registered
112 Posts
jwslam....where the heck are you? The north pole? I hadnt heard of air temps that extreme this winter. I'm in Sask and I think the worst we've had is -35C or so. Without windchill of course. Cars only care about air temp, not windchill. I have an auto so havent had cold issues and have been impressed with my Accord in it's 1st winter with me.
Been a long cold one here and everywhere thanks to that new weather term polar vortex!

·
Registered
36 Posts
jwslam....where the heck are you? The north pole? I hadnt heard of air temps that extreme this winter. I'm in Sask and I think the worst we've had is -35C or so. Without windchill of course. Cars only care about air temp, not windchill. I have an auto so havent had cold issues and have been impressed with my Accord in it's 1st winter with me.
Been a long cold one here and everywhere thanks to that new weather term polar vortex!
So I exaggerated a bit. That's with windchill

In Ft. McMurray Alberta

1 - 20 of 21 Posts