Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just became the proud owner of a 2007 EX-L Coupe (3.0/6MT) a few weeks ago. It seems I'm having the clutch pressure problem noted in these threads below. I took it into the dealership I bought it from (AutoNation) today to have them look at it, since it's still under their 60-day warranty. Also, my wife had it pop out of third a couple times when she drove it, and it's happened to me a couple times (TSB 08-020), so I brought that up as well.

They won't do a thing until they can replicate the problem (surprise surprise). So the first tech who drove it called my clutch "spongy" and a little weird, but wouldn't run it up to 5k RPM like I told him. He had another tech drive it, and the second guy wrote it up as normal.

I called BS on this, and took the second tech out for a drive with me behind the wheel, easily demonstrating the problem. He said the loss of pressure after high-RPMs is normal for this type of clutch, and stated (correctly) that pressure returns once the RPMs drop again, though it takes a couple pumps to get it back to normal.

Is he feeding me a line so they don't have to do the warranty work, or is this true? He said that since it's a self-adjusting clutch with an $800 flywheel, it's designed to do this to keep a constant load on the mechanism so it doesn't burn it out.

Re: the TSB third gear issue, they once again won't work on it without replicating the issue, which aggravates me to no end, since it's intermittent. I left it there and took a rental home so they can try it in the morning when it's cold (rental was a 2013 Mazda3 4cyl/5AT...holy mother of boring and slow). Also, at 94,000 miles, so the warranty is out of the question.

So DriveAccord, I've done as much research as I think possible, but still have questions. Anyone want to take pity on me and help a guy out?

Also, anything I should have them do that's free/cheap? Hose recall was already performed.

Clutch Pressure posts:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52006

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52550

·
Registered
513 Posts
Us old guys call that a lemon. Honda ain't what it used to be, and the present day Honda sales are reflecting that!!

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
To do the proper 3rd gear pop-out TSB is not going to be cheap, if you can't get anywhere with this dealer, then just bite the bullet and put GM Friction Modified Synchromesh fluid in, myself and many others have done so and the third gear has never popped out by itself again.

As for the clutch issue, that is hard to diagnose, maybe you can get a second opinion from a Honda dealership?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To do the proper 3rd gear pop-out TSB is not going to be cheap, if you can't get anywhere with this dealer, then just bite the bullet and put GM Friction Modified Synchromesh fluid in, myself and many others have done so and the third gear has never popped out by itself again.

As for the clutch issue, that is hard to diagnose, maybe you can get a second opinion from a Honda dealership?
I plan to get a second opinion, but that still leaves me SOL, as my warranty is through AutoNation, not Honda, so AutoNation won't honor work done anywhere else. As it is I'm driving 50mi each way to get to the dealership, since they're the only AutNation Honda I can find (plus I had to cast a wide net for this car).

Anything specific I should ask/look for?

·
'07 EX-L Navi 6-6 Sedan
221 Posts
If you end up having to do the 3rd gear TSB, I recommend having them replace the clutch (and flywheel if neccessary) at the same time. I had to do this with my (certified pre-owned) '07 6-6 within a month after buying it. It has been perfect ever since.

Peter

·
07 6-6 sedan
64 Posts
I have an 07 sedan and had the TSB performed by Honda under the powertrain warranty. I just made it under the 5 years/60k miles timeframe. When I took the tech for a drive, I found a quiet road and shifted to 3rd gear. If the transmission didn't pop out of 3rd gear, I would press on the clutch, bring the stick to neutral, release the clutch, press the clutch and engage 3rd gear. It would pop out of gear every third or fourth time I did this.

The tech then drove the car and was able to get it to pop out of gear and he agreed that there was a problem. You may want to mention the safety factor. It can be dangerous if you are travelling through an intersection and you car pops out of gear.

Good luck.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Popping out of gear is dangerous. Doing a merge then acceleration is lost. I'd sue AutoNation in small claims court.

·
Registered
133 Posts
1+ on the GM friction modified. I bought my 06 6-speed a year and a half ago and it started popping out at 3rd gear a week after owning. After draining the trans fluid and filling it with the GM friction modified i haven't had one incident of the gear popping out since (it's been over a year)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts