Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX 2.4L V4. I had to remove the engine the other day due to an issue with the exhaust. While it was out I figured I would check on the clutch and find out how it looked. I bought the car about 20K miles ago and they said when I bought it that the clutch was within 40K miles since it was replaced. I have never seen a worn clutch before. I have tried looking at photos and I cant find any that look similar to mine or taken at the right angle to tell if it is worn. I have taken a few photos of it and attached them. I haven't had any slipping or issues with it. I just want to make sure I don't put it back in and it starts to slip in like 5k miles. I just don't have a lot of money to be dropping on the car right now. If it is something that could last for around 4-6 more months of around 200 miles a week I wont end up replacing it till then.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have replaced many Datsus Z clutches, but never a Honda. My last Accord had 180k miles on the original clutch. Your disk looks way different than anything I have ever seen. What are all the lines through it? Don't take my word, as I am no Honda clutch expert.

How many miles are on the car? Couple ways to look at it. Based on your numbers it may have 60k miles. Not a whole lot, but depends on your driving. Or they did not replace it and it has how many miles your car has on it. Maybe take your disk to your local auto parts store and compare to a new one. Remember the other parts, throw out bearing, flywheel...

I don't know what the parts cost, so look into that and make a decision. Personally if I had the engine out and was questioning it, I'd replace it. That's just me, however.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car has around 185K miles on it. I know the clutch was replaced with an Exedy Clutch. I have tried to look at photos of them and I cant tell how much wear I have on it. The throw out bearing is in very bad shape. The ruber part over the bearings is missing and there is a ton of dust where the bearings are. After adding up all the little parts and the tools to put it back in I figured its about another 75$ to just buy a new one. Think I will just bite the bullet and do it. It was a pain pulling the motor don't want to have to do it again!!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you already have it tore apart I would put the money into doing the clutch. Keep the receipts and if you do get rid of it you can recoupe some of the cost back. Original clutch and pressure plate is around $3-400 but that is OEM. I would definately do it if someone else had already monkied with it. You already said the bearing is bad so they may have short changed their change out.

·
BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
15,367 Posts
since it's apart, replace it while you're at it for peace of mind.... :)

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Your car does not have a V4 engine, because there is no such thing.
False. Ford used a V4 wayyy back when...

Obviously this car has an inline 4, however.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you already have it tore apart I would put the money into doing the clutch. Keep the receipts and if you do get rid of it you can recoupe some of the cost back. Original clutch and pressure plate is around $3-400 but that is OEM. I would definately do it if someone else had already monkied with it. You already said the bearing is bad so they may have short changed their change out.
No you can get the OEM clutch for the I4 for $185 on Amazon.

Exedy HCK 1005

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,724 Posts
Honda makes plenty of V4 engines, but they are in motorcycles and on boats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I know I didn't realize that I wrote V4 I meant i4. I wasnt thinking when I wrote it and was thinking about my V6. I ended up replacing the clutch when I had everything out. so hopefully nothing else happens to it!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.