Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am getting a bit confused by the maintenance minder system, and wonder if anyone can share your thoughts on this.

My 2020 Accord Hybrid had second oil+filter change early in this month at 22k miles, and I correctly reset the maintenance items in the infotainment system.

Today when I checked the maintenance page on my instrument cluster screen, it said '90% oil life' with A12 code on the screen. Current mileage is 23.8k miles. Finally the Code 2!

Then I went to the infotainment system and hit Code 2, just trying to see how much life is there for the air filters. Surprisingly, the system said 90% life at the reset confirmation page, and I exited without resetting it.

Now I kind of wonder when it is due to replace the air filters; clearly that 90% life shouldn't indicate the remaining life of air filter alone after driving for almost 24k miles. It appears that the 90% shown at Code 2 Air Filter reset confirmation page is directly copied from oil life. In other words, MM on my vehicle thinks I should replace both air filters along with 3rd oil change. Note that I drive 85% highway.

I wonder if I can just wait until oil life goes below 15% then get filters replaced along with next oil change. Or, would you suggest get the filters replaced ASAP?

· Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T - Stage 3
217 Posts
If you want to, I would replace them when they look dirty yourself. Several factors including climate and environmental conditions can add variability as to when you should replace your engine and cabin air filter. They are simple to replace and you can buy genuine Honda parts (I would for the engine air filter, cabin air filter I would use whatever I wanted whether if that is a better one or not) online.

If not, ask the dealership if they can inspect them and show you them to determine if you want to replace them. My 2 cents.

Reactions: thefisch

· Registered
252 Posts
What it's showing is your next oil service will be an A12 so filters are recommended to be replaced at your next service. If they look good to you, then I'd wait to replace them. I typically replace my cabin filter about once a year in my vehicles. I usually get a carbon cabin filter (not sure if the honda one is or not) as I have seasonal allergies and those are supposed to filter that stuff out better than a standard paper cabin filter.
I usually buy mine from RockAuto even with shipping, it's usually cheaper than the parts stores so I'm sure it's cheaper than the dealer

· Registered
440 Posts
It's been several months since I replaced my engine air filter and cabin air filter, so I hope I am remembering things right.

I replaced both air filters just after my second oil change (and oil filter change). The oil change was done at the dealer, who reset the maintenance minder for those actions.

So when I changed the two air filters myself, I think I went into the Maintenance Minder screens and reset the air filter minder. (I can't recall if this is just for the engine air filter, or if there is also something for the cabin air filter.)

I might be confusing my Accord with another car of mine, but it seems to me that the expected replacement schedule for the air filters is on the order of 15k miles for the cabin filter, and 30k miles for the engine air filter (which seems too long, for me. So my own practice is to do both every 15k miles, or at the oil change time that is closest.....

But there may be something to the intended intervals, since when I replaced both air filters, the cabin air filter was pretty filthy, while the engine air filter was surprisingly clean. (My car is a hybrid, which has a somewhat smallish engine air filter. It's also true that the engine isn't running 100% of the time....)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.