Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Megan EZ coilovers on order. I was wondering if I could get some advice from some of you that have coilovers and an upgraded rear sway bar (or general knowledge in that area) right now I have the 17mm TSX rear sway bar. I was wondering if I should go with something bigger since I am getting the coilovers, and just bang them both out at once.

I understand there is some controversy as to what size sway bar, but how about if you are lowered on coils and are looking for the best performance? I have seen some people say that once you get coilovers, your sway bar doesn’t even really matter (meaning you could go back to stock bar at that point and would not feel a difference)

I was shocked when I did the minuet change from 15mm to 17mm and was wondering if I would be blown away with something larger.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I haven't upgrade my swaybar yet but I think your good with a 17. Is not like is your going road racing or you like to make 100 mph turns.

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't upgrade my swaybar yet but I think your good with a 17. Is not like is your going road racing or you like to make 100 mph turns.

Says who? Lol JK yea true, but I do get pretty aggressive on the on and off ramps late at night when no one is around.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i think you should get a bigger rsb. i mean you can say that you wont take crazy turns but then why are you getting coilovers then? I'm planning to get the acura tl progress 24mm rear sway bar soon.

btw, you dont need to take turns at 100mph to want a big rear sway bar. if you ever take some turns on the canyons you will soon see why.

·
Registered
32 Posts
did you have any problem getting the OEM sway bar out without stripping those hex keyways on the stabilizer links?

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
To be honest, I disagree. I think a 19mm is a very fair balance and a 22mm is even very do-able for most cars (especially with coilover plans as you do) since the Progress has two settings.

The 17mm has had mixed opinions, some have bolted it on (as you have) and been happy with the results and it's great for the price. However, it's a small upgrade and I've seen many come to us and end up regretting their original purchase and opting for a bigger bar. With a drop you may be able to see even more benefit with another.

Completely depends on your goals, if you were simply looking for a very very minor change without a drop I'd say give the 17mm a try. But since you are going lower, I'd recommend something more aggressive. I know this was brought up on a TSX forum we sponsor and the TSX guys couldn't even believe that someone would pay for a TSX bar. It does cost a bit more, but for 200 or less shipped to your door you can have something that you can guarantee to feel. I'd recommend going that route.

Of course, you already have the 17mm, so it's completely up to you on if you want to wait it out or upgrade. Was speaking to a customer about this last week and asked if I thought the 22mm was overkill, I said that I have not really heard of anyone who regretted a 19mm or 22mm RSB.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Actually the stiffer the coil springs arethe less the swaybars have to compensate for the same firmness .

Normally for street you run OEM/soft spring rates for ride quality and large swaybar for roll control . So IMO your fine as is .

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys….I will put the coils in and then decided I guess

·
Doc Mojo
1,499 Posts
hey there, i drive a sedan, and when I first got the 17mm RSB and i noticed I drive faster on turns because it didn't roll as much.

and i lowered my car recently, I can make my usual turns even faster, but i noticed I roll a little bit more than used to, I've set my coils fairly soft/similar to OEM.

so my 2 cent is this... if you got agressive when you got your RSB, you'll get even more agressive once the car is lowered. It depends on how you want to drive the car, some people would be okay, some would want more control. IMO, find a buyer for your RSB before buying any larger ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts